A Perfect Small Job?

rico

Been here a while
as soon as someone mentions ladders and tree work I cringe, same goes with doing tree work from a roof, the only time im gonna be on a customers roof is to blow debris off after a job, and if the tree is currently inside the roof, too much liability when you start doing anything you dont have to, imo roofs are more dangerous than a tree

and, for me, if a ladder is coming out, its to bypasss something at the base, then it gets moved out of the way

of course, this can all change and rules will be bent, but its up to you and using your brain to make the decision, %100 you, when it comes to something like this, I may input my idea on how to do it safer, but im not gonna tell you that you HAVE to do it my way, so far nobody has gotten hurt working from my methods, but, that can change in an instant, and somebody could get hurt or killed

sorry for the little rant, just showing my way of handling that situation (Which would end up with a climb line installed with or w/o ladder)
WTF?

DBH

Got this text yesterday "...Small job, nothing aerial, nothing over 4" diam, ladder & small chainsaw, 30 minutes max. Call me if interested."

I'm thinking it will take no more than 30 minutes to load up all the gear I need for this job (which won't include a ladder!)

rico

Been here a while
thats what I think when you reply to my stuff

your just wasting your time, and I got lots of mine you can waste, really, you wont win
I suggest you reread post #2 son. You sound like an inexperienced 14 year old boy who doesnt have a fucking clue what he is talking about. For the love of god, please stop dishing out advice here...

Or you could preface all your words of wisdom with a disclaimer- "I'm an inexperienced 14 year old boy who doesn't have a fucking clue what I am talking about'.

Fivepoints

Branched out member
Got this text yesterday "...Small job, nothing aerial, nothing over 4" diam, ladder & small chainsaw, 30 minutes max. Call me if interested."

I'm thinking it will take no more than 30 minutes to load up all the gear I need for this job (which won't include a ladder!)
I would have a hard time not replying, "ok. No problem. 1 hour minimum @$500 per hour."

Btw are you in Hoover, Al?

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
My response is "how much does a house cost?" (Them: "uhhh, depends on the house....." Me: Yah, exactly)

Most of my customers call me saying they got my number from a friend or neighbor, or saw my ad on the bulletin board (small town), then a large percentage email saying they got my name and contact info from a neighbor. Both of those kinds of clients are just about sure things for getting the work. I've always found people that text are the most low-effort clients and just tire-kickers looking for the cheapest price. Well, they will be getting the worst/cheapest house.

Last edited:

Bendroctanus

Participating member
My response is "how much does a house cost?" (Them: "uhhh, depends on the house....." Me: Yah, exactly)

Most of my customers call me saying they got my number from a friend or neighbor, or saw my ad on the bulletin board (small town), then a large percentage email saying they got my name and contact info from a neighbor. Both of those kinds of clients are just about sure things for getting the work. I've always found people that text are the most low-effort clients and just tire-kickers looking for the cheapest price. Well, they will be getting the worst/cheapest house.
And a tree dropped through the roof of said house by the cheap company they hired. It’s the circle of life!

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
I did the "30 min max" job today. Took 4 hours (but I wasn't going for speed with the heat index hitting 104.) I have no idea as to how a ladder could have possibly been any use for this job, despite the homeowner's opinion.

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
When I initially called him, I said that I don't use ladders for tree work, they're dangerous, limbs generally will hit you and/or the ladder. He didn't comment about a ladder after that. Real nice guy who is at least able to recognize that tree pruning at height is not in his skill set.

evo

Been here a while

My old boss use to say “.50 cents a pound, but our shop rates are half price”. I’ve used this line a few times, both he and I have gotten the reply “but how am I suppose to get it to you?”

Bendroctanus

Participating member
My old boss use to say “.50 cents a pound, but our shop rates are half price”. I’ve used this line a few times, both he and I have gotten the reply “but how am I suppose to get it to you?”
I think we should start a thread something to the effect of, “When clients say the darnest things.” I would love to hear everyone’s funny client exchange stories.

My old boss has one story where, as we was climbing and pruning a tree, the homeowner came out and yelled up to him, “So you’re like a warlock, right?”
Boss: “Um, what??”
Homeowner: “A warlock. Ya know, someone who worships trees?”
Boss: “Um, well, sure. I guess?”

He was never short of a good story like that.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom