A horrendous thing happened--keep your climbing rope away from the chipper

Jonny

That’s terrible, poor guy.
Hopefully they can reattach it. Below the knee is a lot better than above and the article made it sound like he was attended to very quickly.

LordFarkwad

Ooof - sounds like it ripped it, eh?

I couldn't get a clear picture of the mechanism of injury from the article - was he tied to the tree and the fight was between the leg w/ rope around it and the gear holding him to the tree? Otherwise, how was he able to resist the pulling action of the chipper without enough force to rip a leg off, unless tied to something stationary?

Jehinten

Ooof - sounds like it ripped it, eh?

I couldn't get a clear picture of the mechanism of injury from the article - was he tied to the tree and the fight was between the leg w/ rope around it and the gear holding him to the tree? Otherwise, how was he able to resist the pulling action of the chipper without enough force to rip a leg off, unless tied to something stationary?
It's very fast, probably took his leg off before he knew what had happened.

Have you seen this demonstration?

LordFarkwad

It's very fast, probably took his leg off before he knew what had happened.

Have you seen this demonstration?
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly crap.

Okay - so, I errantly was thinking of a chipper's wench and feeding speeds - NOT the speed of rope ingress that would ensue once the blades got ahold of the rope. Hooeeee Leeeee Lard. That was hilariously fast.

That being the case, I guess the guy got really lucky only losing a leg.

That is terrifying.

evo

That’s fucken horrible. I had a green groundie bend over and scoop up a pile of twigs mixed with my climbing line and toss the lot into the chipper. Luckily I saw it, and my line spilled out of the infeed shoot as I was screaming. He didn’t get it, and I had to explain for the third or fourth time what can happen. He got it, and quit the next day.

Chaplain242

Same thing happened ten years ago in my state. Leg behind a branch and rope around lower leg, other end of rope caught in chipper... took off leg before anyone knew anything was wrong.

I am paranoid around green and or inattentive workers for this reason. Last year had my rope tail on the deck three times in 20 minutes. Had to stop working and lecture from up in tree multiple times just like Evo was saying...

dsptech

Holy freaking hell! :X3:
Maybe I'll just stick with my 6-incher.
Have a better chance at grabbing and reversing the handle.
That's the shit that nightmares are made of.
Freddy Krueger has nothing on that chipper.

Jehinten

Holy freaking hell! :X3:
Maybe I'll just stick with my 6-incher.
Have a better chance at grabbing and reversing the handle.
That's the shit that nightmares are made of.
Freddy Krueger has nothing on that chipper.
A 6" is likely just as bad. Its the speed of the knives grabbing the rope that causes this reaction.

These situations can be prevented by putting away ropes when your finished with them, not letting ropes get in the chipper, and not standing on ropes / in loops of rope.

treebing

i watched my ground guy feed my climbing rope into the tree. i was screaming and screaming. he didnt hear me. luckily it went in at an angle and caught a sharp edge on the hopper and snapped the rope before anything bad happened. removing the rope from the fly wheel was a horrible process though. chiseling it out took hours and hours.

Treetopflyer

When we are working in close proximity to the chipper the climb line is not to be much longer than it needs to be for climber to safely reach ground, and should not be able to reach the chipper at all if possible imo.. staionary line is "safer" in this regard vs. A doubled or moving line that requires excess tail laying about the ground while climber is up in tree.

dsptech

i watched my ground guy feed my climbing rope into the tree. i was screaming and screaming. he didnt hear me. luckily it went in at an angle and caught a sharp edge on the hopper and snapped the rope before anything bad happened. removing the rope from the fly wheel was a horrible process though. chiseling it out took hours and hours.
Keep that spiffy tie you're sporting these days away from your chipper. :D

Climbers need a remote accelerometer based kill switch attached to their harness that will automatically trigger an emergency braking system in the chipper if their bodies travel at a faster speed then you can swing out of a tree.
Run that one by Notch Mr. Inventor.
Just don't forget who came up with the idea.
My only request is that my initials be engraved on the device and it comes in any color other than Notch Green. :vomito: :risas2:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom