880 mod

owScott

Does anybody have experience modifying a Sthil 880. Cant seem to get enough power with any bar bigger than a 47".

rico

Does anybody have experience modifying a Sthil 880. Cant seem to get enough power with any bar bigger than a 47".
Thats because the 880 is a notorious dog and a straight up piece of poop out of the box. Shame on Stihl. I would suggest you dump that chump and go get a new 3120.. Hell, I run a bone stock 3120 with a 60" all the time and it pulls it fine. One of my homies is running a modded 3120 and it is downright scary.

owScott

Thats because the 880 is a notorious dog and a straight up piece of poop out of the box. Shame on Stihl. I would suggest you dump that chump and go get a new 3120.. Hell, I run a bone stock 3120 with a 60" all the time and it pulls it fine. One of my homies is running a modded 3120 and it is downright scary.
Yeah I run up to 72" and it sucks. Not a fan of moded saws but i need to do something. Big expense with switching over. Been a Sthil guy forever with a few huskys i love . An old 372 and a 346. Just bought a 562 and have been happy. Maybe your right. Sthil has been sucking for a while. Still a 200t fan, own 3. I will give this some serious consideration. Do you know anyone with a moded 880 and how is it?

rico

Other than a few diehard Stihl guys, I don't know many folks running 880's because they are notoriously under powered dogs. A mod is an absolute must if your actually gonna use the saw with bigger bars, which is why one buys a 125 cc saw, isn't it? Who the fuck wants to have $2000 wrapped up in a powerhead? Not me.

Its been a while since I ran a 880, but I remember it well. I was bucking some good sized logs with a friends 880 and I lasted less than 5 minute before tossing it aside. Pure shit. Pull out my trusty bone stock 94cc 395XP with a 42" and it cut circles around the 125cc 880 with a 48"...How is that even possible. Neeedless to say he now runs a 395XP and a 3120.

Chaplain242

Quite a few guys around here get 880’s and they are notoriously hard to start. That’s to say if you get a good one it’s not too bad, but there are plenty that are just painful...

owScott

Love my old 660 best saw ever, but thats not what we are talking about. Well thanks for the input. I am going downstairs and sulk.

owScott

Quite a few guys around here get 880’s and they are notoriously hard to start. That’s to say if you get a good one it’s not too bad, but there are plenty that are just painful...
Mine starts fine but is gutless above a 47" bar. Rico may have jarred my thinking here. My wife is going to shit a puppy. She already thinks i am saw crazy.

Barc Buster

Don't let Rico's husky hard on discourage you lol. A good 880 should pull a long bar fine. Maybe you have something else going on. I'd recommend talking with the fellas over at the ope forum. Tell em the woodpecker sent ya.

Pull the muffler how does the piston look? Take a pic and post it here if you don't feel like asking over at the ope forum.

Jemco

You guys are overlooking the main reason 088's or 880's suck compared to 084's n 090's.

The manual fuggin oiler's critical runnin a six foot bar, particularly in deadwood, and yu know it.

Life sucked the minute my trusty ole 084 was nabbed by an expert highway thief, on a caltrans job.

I've head tale of aftermarket manual oilers for 880's but never seen one.

Jemco

owScott

Don't let Rico's husky hard on discourage you lol. A good 880 should pull a long bar fine. Maybe you have something else going on. I'd recommend talking with the fellas over at the ope forum. Tell em the woodpecker sent ya.

Pull the muffler how does the piston look? Take a pic and post it here if you don't feel like asking over at the ope forum.
[collectTE]
I am going to take a look see if i can get a pic. Seems to be throwing alot of bar oil, but good point Jem. Would prefer a fix than replacing the saw and my big bar collection. I will get back to you guys.

Rob Stafari

Yeah I run up to 72" and it sucks. Not a fan of moded saws but i need to do something. Big expense with switching over. Been a Sthil guy forever with a few huskys i love . An old 372 and a 346. Just bought a 562 and have been happy. Maybe your right. Sthil has been sucking for a while. Still a 200t fan, own 3. I will give this some serious consideration. Do you know anyone with a moded 880 and how is it?
Find someone who wants to buy your 880 at a good price and make the switch. Or get it properly ported by someone who actually knows what they are doing. Beware though, lots of scammers out there. If you go that route, it will still have the stingy stihl oiler. 394/5s and 3120s oil like the exxon valdez. Rico is right, ms880s are notoriously pigs stock. I am certainly not a brand loyalist. My main saws are Makita/Dolmar 64xxs and 7910s. Small saws Stihl. Big saws, 394xp and 2100xp... because they are beasts.

If you do switch, there are adapters out there for the bars. I have them for my husqies and dolmars so I can run Stihl bars. So no money lost there.

If you want to look into modding, head over to opeforum's chainsaw section. There are people there who seriously know their stuff and can steer you in the right direction.

Cheers

rico

You guys are overlooking the main reason 088's or 880's suck compared to 084's n 090's.

The manual fuggin oiler's critical runnin a six foot bar, particularly in deadwood, and yu know it.

Life sucked the minute my trusty ole 084 was nabbed by an expert highway thief, on a caltrans job.

I've head tale of aftermarket manual oilers for 880's but never seen one.

Jemco
A 125 ccc saw that is not capable of pulling a 47" bar is a fucking dog. No way around that, bar oil or no bar oil.

Last edited:

flushcut

That's right Husqys are just better saws . (y) . Saw for saw I have run fewer Stihls that I was impressed with. And having to mod a 100cc+ saw to pull a long bar is BS.