72’ backyard lift - CMC vs Platform

JE Chop Nash

Does one have an upper hand over the other? We’re adding one to make crane work faster and more efficient as well as to help knock out clearance work quickly.

BooRad

I demoed both, CMC had nice self leveling one button feature, but I seem to read too many problems occurred with outrigger sensors. Tracked is more manual control to set outriggers, just like a normal truck hyd lever. More manual work to level, but seems more reliable. If you are used to settings up crane outriggers, this should be a quick learner.
Tracked was built like a tank, heavy. That's a pro and a con, but more pro in my book.
Both were slower than my bucket, that's to be expected.

Also demoed an UpEq, but that was 2 or 3 years ago, they may have changed. Seemed a bit flimsy when all the way out, we ain't painting church steeples.

I'm leaning track, just see too many problems with the CMC. (Basket control wasn't working on my demo, had to use ground on in basket for the demo, how's that for a starter).

flyingsquirrel25

Two things:
*If you don’t have a climber a lift will make your crane removals more efficient otherwise a lift is too slow, clunky and routinely in the way. Just what we have found.
*dont limit yourself to looking at the track units. Look at others as well. We rented a CMC and were happy with it other than cost. Then found a wheeled unit that worked way better in so many respects. Even being shorter by 8 ft from the 78’ cmc it still runs circles around it. We ended up buying one and love it. Nifty SD64 is the one we bought.
But I’m not responding to start the wheel vs track fight.... :X3:

MA Arborist

Two things:
*If you don’t have a climber a lift will make your crane removals more efficient otherwise a lift is too slow, clunky and routinely in the way. Just what we have found.
*dont limit yourself to looking at the track units. Look at others as well. We rented a CMC and were happy with it other than cost. Then found a wheeled unit that worked way better in so many respects. Even being shorter by 8 ft from the 78’ cmc it still runs circles around it. We ended up buying one and love it. Nifty SD64 is the one we bought.
We purchased the Niftylift SD50 for pretty much the same reasons. It has some limitations compared to the tracked machines
But the pros far outweigh the cons. For one, it is very easy to work on and troubleshoot.

I demoed the cmc. Too much computer bs
I asked the salesman about the computers having issues.
His response was that ”all of the manufacturers have computers in their lifts.”

I knew right away that either he was lying or did not know what he was talking about
Red flag
I walked

Edi

We purchased the Niftylift SD50 for pretty much the same reasons. It has some limitations compared to the tracked machines
But the pros far outweigh the cons. For one, it is very easy to work on and troubleshoot.

I demoed the cmc. Too much computer bs
I asked the salesman about the computers having issues.
His response was that ”all of the manufacturers have computers in their lifts.”

I knew right away that either he was lying or did not know what he was talking about
Red flag
I walked
Same answer I get from aTeupen salesman then I went to CMC and yes issues for sure.

MA Arborist

Hopefully the “issues” With the CMC Lifts will be worked out in the near future.

In my opinion, the “perfect”Spider lift design has not Even been invented yet.

-Tracks are too short AND too narrow

-Very slow ground speed (narrow and top heavy making them easy to tip while driving).

-The ability to go through 36” gates is grossly overrated (I am from an area where properties average under 1/2 acre). 95% of the time a 4 foot wide machine can get to the work.

What I think we all need is a wider and longer tracked or a fat tired machine that is closer to 4 feet wide (at the narrowest setting) that can expand its tires/ tracks to a 5 foot wide spread. Then it will have more stability over ground along with a faster speed over ground.

VenasNursery

Hopefully the “issues” With the CMC Lifts will be worked out in the near future.

-Very slow ground speed (narrow and top heavy making them easy to tip while driving).

-The ability to go through 36” gates is grossly overrated (I am from an area where properties average under 1/2 acre). 95% of the time a 4 foot wide machine can get to the work.

What I think we all need is a wider and longer tracked or a fat tired machine that is closer to 4 feet wide (at the narrowest setting) that can expand its tires/ tracks to a 5 foot wide spread. Then it will have more stability over ground along with a faster speed over ground.
If they are 36” in narrow stance I would think they are at least 48” in wide stance?

Edi

Those lifts help but I think they are over priced for the limited help you'll get.

VenasNursery

Two things:
We love our Nifty (only 40’ but goes through a 32” gate) but can’t run it like a boom trunk (loaded on back) the weight of the nifty (cdl) and the height 70’vs 83’ and that sd64 won’t go through a 36” gate
Those factors opens a lot of jobs for us(we don’t climb)
But still love the sd 64
Crab steering
4x4
Not cleaning tracks or grease
Our Nifty has been super reliable
There’s a place out there for all equipment that’s why I’m purchasing my 3rd boom (and because we don’t climb)

MA Arborist

We love our Nifty (only 40’ but goes through a 32” gate) but can’t run it like a boom trunk (loaded on back) the weight of the nifty (cdl) and the height 70’vs 83’ and that sd64 won’t go through a 36” gate
But still love the sd 64
Crab steering
4x4
There’s a place out there for all equipment that’s why I’m purchasing my 3rd boom (and because we don’t climb)
I get what you are saying.

I should have been more clear on that fact.

Also, glad to hear that you like your sd64. If it wasn’t so wide it would be my top choice

MA Arborist

Those lifts help but I think they are over priced for the limited help you'll get.
Definitely overpriced.

Too bad there aren’t Lemon Laws on equipment/machinery

I bet that would get the dealers and manufacturers to get off their asses and fix the glitches before they make the sale!!

flyingsquirrel25

I get what you are saying.

I should have been more clear on that fact.

Also, glad to hear that you like your sd64. If it wasn’t so wide it would be my top choice
width has not been an issue for us as of yet. But it all depends on your market. Ours is urban to rural so gates are typically not a issue. And if they are a set of rails is easy enough to remove.
On the other hand if we can’t get the SD in the brush is going to suck to get out so we typically try for other options. Who wants to drag brush through a 36” gate? :ROFLMAO: So we open up when we can.

flyingsquirrel25

But still love the sd 64
Crab steering
4x4
Our nifty sd64 is set up sub CDL. Can’t run like a bucket truck but that’s ok the lift is fast enough to make up for that. 2F37CB23-94E7-45EA-86B0-5A85355DB72D.jpeg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom