6.0 Mechanic on the East Coast

Serf Life

Planning on buying a 2004 f550 chip truck from a member in the next month, preferably yesterday. My F450 has two underbelly boxes and that is it for storage... Does anyone know of a versed 6.0 mechanic to do work on it? Want to get the engine gone through and fix the common issues beforehand. It's 800miles away in VA I'm in ME, so anywhere in between or near-abouts.

Reach

We have had a lot of good work done at Lewis Auto Truck Repair in Quarryville, PA. They did the head studs on ours, and the EGR delete, as well as miscellaneous other maintenance.

Reach

I have mixed feelings on the 6.0. If you’re willing to put the necessary money into it (about $12k) you can make it into an excellent engine. If you don’t fix everything, and pretty much all at once, you’ll spend the rest of your days repairing it. Also, the owner’s manual has a maintenance schedule and recommended brands for oil and filters - Follow Them! You do that, and you will eliminate a lot of other problems. The 6.0 has oil fired injectors, which are very finicky little things. Keep the right oil in, and keep it clean, and they’re happy. Mistreat them, and they’ll fail and fail fast!

Luzl78

I have mixed feelings on the 6.0. If you’re willing to put the necessary money into it (about $12k) you can make it into an excellent engine. If you don’t fix everything, and pretty much all at once, you’ll spend the rest of your days repairing it. Also, the owner’s manual has a maintenance schedule and recommended brands for oil and filters - Follow Them! You do that, and you will eliminate a lot of other problems. The 6.0 has oil fired injectors, which are very finicky little things. Keep the right oil in, and keep it clean, and they’re happy. Mistreat them, and they’ll fail and fail fast!
Why put that much money into an inferior Engine? Just buy a Cummins 6.7 ram and be done.

Reach

Why put that much money into an inferior Engine? Just buy a Cummins 6.7 ram and be done.
Good question. We did it only because we cae upon a truck that had some problems, and paid $1800 for a truck worth 10 times that, and put the cash into building it up into what it should have been. We came out well ahead on the deal, otherwise we would not have bought it.

Luzl78

Good question. We did it only because we cae upon a truck that had some problems, and paid $1800 for a truck worth 10 times that, and put the cash into building it up into what it should have been. We came out well ahead on the deal, otherwise we would not have bought it.
Understood

Swap in a cummins. Inhad a buddy who bought a bulletproofed 6.0 from a company that does great work. He loved it. Then it all went bad. I think it had over 10k in upgrades.
I tiink u could swap a cummins cheaper and would last way longer. I spent alot of hours and money workin on the 2 i had. Never again. Even a gas swap woupd be better. Just my experience and opinion. U do what u want.

Serf Life

That's where I am at. @BooRad it is not red. The Cummins swap came up yesterday at work too. That would be the tits
Pros: rust free, I can buy outright, about perfect truck layout for storage of gear and yrd of chips
Cons: possible future engine headaches, 2wd (I rarely use 4wd but it is Maine)

Looking at TreeTrader, and all of the arb truck dealers I researched there is no way to buy a decent 550class truck for less than 20k-30k. So buying a Cummins or 7.3 with good setup is both expensive and still a crapshoot that it will be trouble free.
I have a 99 f450 7.3 mason dump with 100k, looked over by my mechanic before buying. I have 22k in it over 2yrs, with about 4k that it needs for high pressure oil pump front end work and that is without a forestry body and lots of surface rusr.... One of the best engines ever but hope you can see what Im getting at.

VenasNursery

That's where I am at. @BooRad it is not red. The Cummins swap came up yesterday at work too. That would be the tits
Pros: rust free, I can buy outright, about perfect truck layout for storage of gear and yrd of chips
Cons: possible future engine headaches, 2wd (I rarely use 4wd but it is Maine)

Looking at TreeTrader, and all of the arb truck dealers I researched there is no way to buy a decent 550class truck for less than 20k-30k. So buying a Cummins or 7.3 with good setup is both expensive and still a crapshoot that it will be trouble free.
I have a 99 f450 7.3 mason dump with 100k, looked over by my mechanic before buying. I have 22k in it over 2yrs, with about 4k that it needs for high pressure oil pump front end work and that is without a forestry body and lots of surface rusr.... One of the best engines ever but hope you can see what Im getting at.
If taking care of a V10 is the only way to go
Good fo 300k mi
Gas is cheaper than diesel
Way less maintenance
Cheaper parts
Easier to work on
Trucks with V10 are cheaper to purchase because everyone wants a problematic “pickup” diesel
My 2020 F550 7.3 gas just came in yesterday and I saved $10,500 from the diesel!! That’s a whole lot of fuel for my gasser
And with the load it pulls it gets 6mpg diesel might get 8mpg and we only put 10k mi a year at most

Fivepoints

In a 550 sized truck the v10s get 5 to 6 mpg. Our f550 chip truck towing a 12" chipper with 7.3 6 speed gets 10 to 12 mpg. Diesel doesn't cost double gas so its cheaper to fuel the diesel. Less stops at the gas station so it saves time. To drive a v10 truck 10k miles at 6 mpg with gas costing $2.10 would cost $3500. To drive our 7.3 10k miles at 11 mpg with diesel costing $2.50 would be $2272.

The v10s are generally a decent engine but don't hold up as well in a heavier truck. I don't see them getting 300k before new engine time. One of them I've been around lost an oil pump at 140k and wiped out the engine. Another one needed a rebuild by 180k as it was using lots of oil. That said, I would much rather have a v10 than a 6.0. I have a neighbor that has spent over $12k in the last two years on repairs on his 6.0 and it still has an intermittent no start issue.

VenasNursery

In a 550 sized truck the v10s get 5 to 6 mpg. Our f550 chip truck towing a 12" chipper with 7.3 6 speed gets 10 to 12 mpg. Diesel doesn't cost double gas so its cheaper to fuel the diesel. Less stops at the gas station so it saves time. To drive a v10 truck 10k miles at 6 mpg with gas costing $2.10 would cost $3500. To drive our 7.3 10k miles at 11 mpg with diesel costing $2.50 would be $2272.

The v10s are generally a decent engine but don't hold up as well in a heavier truck. I don't see them getting 300k before new engine time. One of them I've been around lost an oil pump at 140k and wiped out the engine. Another one needed a rebuild by 180k as it was using lots of oil. That said, I would much rather have a v10 than a 6.0. I have a neighbor that has spent over $12k in the last two years on repairs on his 6.0 and it still has an intermittent no start issue.
We only put 8-10k miles a year on our trucks my dt 466 gets 5mpg

The problem with the good older engines is they are going on 20 years old

Once that old every thing on that engine is almost wore out (wire harness to the hangers on the exhaust) next thing you know it broke down more often and your paying the part shop and mechanic the monthly payment on a new truck and your still driving a 20 year old truck instead of a new one

I have 3 trucks with v10’s 7 years of no problems = priceless

550 19500 gvw
650 23k gvw
750 32k derated to 26k (under cdl) 1472 arbortec
And a motorhome 36’ with a v10 22k gvw tows a 4400 lbs car 5-6 mpg
Been to all but 8 states so far
She screams but gets it done even through the Rockies
Just my opinion
I’m not a mechanic nor do I have the time to be one
Another plus about a v10 you don’t have to pull the cab to pull engine

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
There's a saying in the RV world:

A V10 will pass anything on the road...except a gas station.

I have a V10 in my camper...good thing it has a 55 gallon gas tank.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom