461 brake actuation

Chris Schultz

I’ve got a new 461, less than a dozen tanks of fuel through it, and goddam it’s hard set the brake on this saw. I do not like having to actuate the brake with my palm, and it’s almost painful to do with the topside of my hand.... any ideas/suggestions. Thanks in andvance.

Jehinten

I’ve got a new 461, less than a dozen tanks of fuel through it, and goddam it’s hard set the brake on this saw. I do not like having to actuate the brake with my palm, and it’s almost painful to do with the topside of my hand.... any ideas/suggestions. Thanks in andvance.
Have you taken it back to the shop to see how another compares to it? Could be a faulty chainbreak that may not engage during kickback.

I do not have that model myself, but my 661 has never seemed overly difficult to engage.

Reach

Never had that problem with a 461 (or any other Stihl), I think a trip to the saw shop is a good idea. Have a mechanic look it over and see what’s going on.

27RMT0N

Sometimes things just get gummed up as well. It happens to me occasionally, especially with my 046 when cutting firs with a lot of pitch and/or dust.

What I do is take the bar off, remove the plates that cover the brake mechanism and clean and lube it. Also clean the brake-band and clutch drum while you are there. The brake system has quite a few moving parts, hopefully a quick clean is all yours needs. (I imagine the 461 has a slightly different mechanism than my 046, but this is what it looks like)

DSCN5085 (Custom).JPG

evo

I have a like new 461 too. And yes that brake is one stiff mofo. However any minor amount of inertia seems to trip it. I just chalk it up to it needs to break in.

Chris Schultz

I’ve broken it down, nothing obvious jumps out... and the brake sets appropriately in a kickback scenario too. I don’t every remember a “break in period” on other new saw’s brakes. Thanks for the input thus far.

southsoundtree

I'd compare and contrast to units on the dealer's shelf.

Needing to use your palm is not acceptable to me.

Make sure to clean under the clutch drum, first.

That new, it shouldn't need cleaning.

I have run vitually all Stihl for a good 15+ years, 150t-880, never having that experience.

Chris Schultz

Well, broke saw down again, got after it with the air chuck again, and nothing.... no bent/warped/missing springs, clips or parts, no buildup of sludge, nothing.... The break is so relentless that it flexes the whole break handle near the rubber bushing on the flywheel side. I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom