3M Peltor WS-CUSH Bluetooth Headset

castanea

Screenshot_20190121-212058.png

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.co...ion-x-series-earmuff-bluetooth-accessory.html

This seems promising if the physical button on the muff can activate a walkie-talkie phone app like Zello. A phone is required for it to work at all, but I think Zello can work over bluetooth between phones without a cell signal. Zello has a lot of info on their site about compatibility with third party headset hardware and would probably test it.

Anyway, key points of concern:
-dont think that mic swivels
-one sided audio in muffs
-requires the 3m Peltor muffs
-95F is Max storage temperature, but operates fine at higher temps (?)
-cant tell if battery and ear cushion are replaceable (emailed 3M about these two points and using with an app)
-unsure about noise cancelling, overall quality. I think YouTube reviews (non arborist application) weren't quite glowing. Wouldn't be surprised if you can't be heard while running a saw wide open or standing behind a chipper.

For what is worth I'm not a huge fan of the pads on my 3M Peltor muffs, I prefer to have plugs under them if I'm around the chipper or am running a med or lg saw. I think clamping them on the helmet in storage wears the foam out, which is replaceable.

Jimmycrackcorn

View attachment 56947

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.co...ion-x-series-earmuff-bluetooth-accessory.html

This seems promising if the physical button on the muff can activate a walkie-talkie phone app like Zello. A phone is required for it to work at all, but I think Zello can work over bluetooth between phones without a cell signal. Zello has a lot of info on their site about compatibility with third party headset hardware and would probably test it.

Anyway, key points of concern:
-dont think that mic swivels
-one sided audio in muffs
-requires the 3m Peltor muffs
-95F is Max storage temperature, but operates fine at higher temps (?)
-cant tell if battery and ear cushion are replaceable (emailed 3M about these two points and using with an app)
-unsure about noise cancelling, overall quality. I think YouTube reviews (non arborist application) weren't quite glowing. Wouldn't be surprised if you can't be heard while running a saw wide open or standing behind a chipper.

For what is worth I'm not a huge fan of the pads on my 3M Peltor muffs, I prefer to have plugs under them if I'm around the chipper or am running a med or lg saw. I think clamping them on the helmet in storage wears the foam out, which is replaceable.
I don't know why something as simple looking as this isn't available at a reasonable price point without all the fancy media & Bluetooth streaming BS.. just an open intercom that can have infinite units added on, all built into the muff itself with three simple buttons, volume, I/O & Channel.

I haven't looked yet.. but I'd bet there's something affordable over in the airsoft world.. those guys go crazy trying to imitate soldiers exact setups.. I'd wager to bet there some company reproducing modular comms systems at a reasonable cost.. & they would have to be functional to take the abuse of playing army in the woods, even if it is pretend warfare.. "oooooooooh headshot"

castanea

I feel like I ran across that, there's made in China versions of all the tectical gear for them. The thing about military headsets is I don't think that they'll interface with our helmets.l directly. Different attachment style. Could be wrong. The way around that is a behind the head style with a thin strap over the top, which would go under any helmet without attaching. I have one in storage for shooting, I got it for less than $150, is top of the line based on my reading. Supposed to amplify everything but gunshots and has a mic for talking, cable connections. Cable needs an adapter for our phone jacks or whatever, saw it for $40 but might be less elsewhere. No idea if it would dampen saws or chippers well vs gunshots. Remember reading about nrr ratings in detail, not sure if something for guns would work as well around equipment. Nrr ratings for anything varies with sound frequency. I can't imagine the China stuff actually works. I'll look for the model I bought and update in case you want a starting point for research.

Jimmycrackcorn

"Adapter for the phone jacks"
What you mean by that? I know the picture your posted requires a phone.. but does the next one your referencing require a phone as well?

I want something, side from the Sena stuff, that works completely free of a cell phone.

castanea

Sorry, the military headset I got for the range. It has a weird plug to connect to a radio that is bigger than a 3.5mm you see on headphones. The headset I got for shooting used for under $150 on eBay was a MSA Sordin Supreme Pro, here is the style that might work with work helmets. Probably too heavy for climbing I'd imagine but all we really do now is felling.

Here is that plug that would be needed
https://srstactical.com/cell-phone-cable-3-5mm-to-tp120-socket-1302.html

Here is an eBay link, there have been a number of models. I could take mine to work I guess if anyone is interested, could see how well they handle saw and chipper noise. No idea how fast they'd wear out in a work environment.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254086881066

Screenshot_20190122-202122.png

Last edited:

evo

Part of the issue with some of the units is they don’t deaden the noise very well. I remember coming across some info that the seana units produce sounds greater than the OSHA allows dB range. I know the peltor lite comms do a much better job.

Jimmycrackcorn

Part of the issue with some of the units is they don’t deaden the noise very well. I remember coming across some info that the seana units produce sounds greater than the OSHA allows dB range. I know the peltor lite comms do a much better job.
Peltor Lite comms.. I'll deff look into them..

As far as the Sena/OSHA comment.. what do you mean? They "Produce"... or do you mean, "Allow", sounds greater than a certain OSHA rule.. I ask the difference, as I wouldn't be surprised if some of regular everyday music headsets can produce sounds higher than what OSHA would allow..

Regardless, i think with the electronic ear protection muffs, there's a small window manufacturers shoot for.. & it's probably industry dependent. So one design may not be great for other applications.. Kinda like electronic Brand X will do 10-20db, where electronic Brand Y will focus more on 20-30db.. IDK.. just going by what I've seen with a few different products.

Sorry, the military headset I got for the range. It has a weird plug to connect to a radio that is bigger than a 3.5mm you see on headphones. The headset I got for shooting used for under $150 on eBay was a MSA Sordin Supreme Pro, here is the style that might work with work helmets. Probably too heavy for climbing I'd imagine but all we really do now is felling.

Here is that plug that would be needed
https://srstactical.com/cell-phone-cable-3-5mm-to-tp120-socket-1302.html

Here is an eBay link, there have been a number of models. I could take mine to work I guess if anyone is interested, could see how well they handle saw and chipper noise. No idea how fast they'd wear out in a work environment.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254086881066

View attachment 56959
Right.. it needs a radio to work as a comm.. that's what i was figuring.. Allot of the military headsets require that, but it's not problematic for soilder systems because they have plenty of space to run equipment off their armor carriers & vests..

I want something completely contained.. like the Sena tuff talk, but for half the cost, none of the silly media features & a usage range that actually works as advertised.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom