3 strand splicing

treesap

I forgot how easy 3 strand splices are, I just did two eye splices (cut about 15ft off one of my ropes, as a e2e to use the thimble on it like a really light duty X ring)

decided to put a second eye on it instead of making a dead eye sling (Figured id get more use from it)

and before anyone asks, no, im not posting pictures of my janky lookin splices, these arent life support, just very light rigging, so im not worried about it

Brocky

For easier making and nicer looking three std splices, the Port Hudson fid works very well. Inserting until the strand is on top of the bridge of metal allows you to pass the strand through and easily keep the twist in it. I made copies using pipe, with all fitting the one knob handle.
309F48DF-8F38-4E77-A37E-959F9616E35A.jpeg

treesap

dude, those things look sweet, I might go make one here in a little bit
not that I do enough splicing 3 strand, but I may as well have the right stuff lol

I just used a marlin spike on mine, works good, what do you use for keeping the twist in your rope? I just re twist it before each tuck, but its nowhere near as neat (and Im gonna guess nowhere near as strong)

rico

For easier making and nicer looking three std splices, the Port Hudson fid works very well. Inserting until the strand is on top of the bridge of metal allows you to pass the strand through and easily keep the twist in it. I made copies using pipe, with all fitting the one knob handle.
View attachment 75746
Brocky strikes again..

treesap

I've not spliced 3 strand in a while, but when I did I would tape and melt the ends of the 3 strands to act as their own fids. They also held the twist this way.
I taped the ends, probably should have taken the time to grab electrical tape, masking tape worked alright tho

treesap

You just make those with a hacksaw and a file Brocky?
The brass ones look pretty!
ive got some thin wall aluminum tube (3/8" od I think), gonna use some of that, a hacksaw and file should be plenty
it they were steel I wouldnt want to go thru the trouble, but aluminum will be fine

Brocky

I follow the late Brion Toss’s instructions and ripped off his fid design. The pipe is easy to work with, hack saw, grinder, files and Dremel. Just happened to have the brass nipple, changes it up a bit.
There is a wood dowel that pushes the strand out at the threaded end.
Masking tape works better for me than electrical, which wants to bunch up, also sometimes use glossy scotch tape, if you can find it, the transparent isn’t as slick.
Never been satisfied with the strand endings, used fused whipping twine to bind them on this one.
710D9297-2141-47AA-BC60-3F5531854CC7.jpeg

treesap

I follow the late Brion Toss’s instructions and ripped off his fid design. The pipe is easy to work with, hack saw, grinder, files and Dremel. Just happened to have the brass nipple, changes it up a bit.
There is a wood dowel that pushes the strand out at the threaded end.
Masking tape works better for me than electrical, which wants to bunch up, also sometimes use glossy scotch tape, if you can find it, the transparent isn’t as slick.
Never been satisfied with the strand endings, used fused whipping twine to bind them on this one.
View attachment 75751
that looks like a hard lay rope, the one I did is a very soft rope (Cheap anchor rope from walmart), so fraying is an issue, I did another splice last night with electrical tape, worked better for me (Just preference)

tell ya what, im super happy that I decided to learn splicing, so far ive done wire rope, 3 strand, and 24 strand, have you done 16 strand? I want to put an eye on one of my lanyards, but looking at one of the 16 strand splicing video's it seems you lose allot of length

treesap

About 3’ for the standard splice, 4’ for an easier method of doing crossover.
sounds good, how hard is it to do (Bluestreak)

looking to get it set up as a beater lanyard for real rough trees/sap

my velocity lanyard is probably my favorite for spur climbing, it flips sooo well, and rolls great as well

the 16 strand I find to be too heavy for large stems

treesap

I think my wire fid is defective, it doesnt pull the burry lol

any tricks to start the burry? I cant get it go more than about an inch, no matter what angle I pull, how hard I pull, I can even massage the rope at the burry and open the hole up with my marlin spike, still wont burry

treesap

tis possible, I tried everything I could think of, now my hands are covered in blisters and my rope as a few feet shorter (Without an eye)

next time I will just order a splice already in the rope

it also seems used rope is MUCH harder to splice than new rope

Jehinten

tis possible, I tried everything I could think of, now my hands are covered in blisters and my rope as a few feet shorter (Without an eye)

next time I will just order a splice already in the rope

it also seems used rope is MUCH harder to splice than new rope
In my experience, blisters and 16 strand splices go hand in hand. Even with new rope.

treesap

In my experience, blisters and 16 strand splices go hand in hand. Even with new rope.
other than 3 strand, I cant think of a time where ive done a splice without pain (Rope and cable)

no wonder it cost so much to have it done (although after doing a few myself, that price really doesnt sound bad)

Jehinten

other than 3 strand, I cant think of a time where ive done a splice without pain (Rope and cable)

no wonder it cost so much to have it done (although after doing a few myself, that price really doesnt sound bad)
If you really want to feel inadequate with your splicing...

Treestuff (and I think Sherilltree) went back and forth a few years ago on who had the fastest splicer.

Top Bottom