200t won't shut off, took handle apart switch seems good, put it back together and there's no contact

Cereal_Killer

Im getting my old 200T back into running condition, last problem is the kill switch. The yellow wire is good from ground bolt to switch and black wire from switch to coil is all good.
I've taken the handle apart numerous times, cleaned it all very well, everything looks in place and while it's apart it functions (continuity meter), I tried bending the spring contacts out a bit more to no help. The moment I put it all back together and fire it up nothing, have to choke it to kill it.
Idk if there's a deformed piece of plastic not holding one of the two contacts in place correctly once it's screwed together or what but before I just go buying parts to throw at a backup to a backup saw has anyone ran into this before? Nothing looks broken or deformed or bent or melted or in any other way out of place and like I said it works on the bench, just not put together in use.

Njdelaney

I had this exact same problem with my 066 a couple weeks ago and couldn't figure it out so I sent it to a buddy who is a Stihl certified tech. It ended up being a broken armature inside the coil itself. I tried all the same things you're doing and none of them worked either. He replaced the coil with a used one and that fixed it. Coils are not cheap so try to find a used one if that ends up being your issue. Good luck!

Jehinten

Im getting my old 200T back into running condition, last problem is the kill switch. The yellow wire is good from ground bolt to switch and black wire from switch to coil is all good.
I've taken the handle apart numerous times, cleaned it all very well, everything looks in place and while it's apart it functions (continuity meter), I tried bending the spring contacts out a bit more to no help. The moment I put it all back together and fire it up nothing, have to choke it to kill it.
Idk if there's a deformed piece of plastic not holding one of the two contacts in place correctly once it's screwed together or what but before I just go buying parts to throw at a backup to a backup saw has anyone ran into this before? Nothing looks broken or deformed or bent or melted or in any other way out of place and like I said it works on the bench, just not put together in use.
Same issue on a stihl blower, regardless of the switch position it is always on run. I assumed it was the switch (possibly the coil after reading the previous post) but as its a blower and not a saw that's being used aloft, I just choke it off.

Cereal_Killer

You don't use your blower in the tree? We call it pre-drop leaf blowing, good money in it too!

On a serious note, should the kill terminal on the coil have continuity to ground when off? I measure a dead short to ground with the wire dconnected but again running isn't the saws problem.

I have access to some parts 200's at work, both handles are smashed but I should be able to dig out the coils for testing, I'll try that next.

Cereal_Killer

Okay quick test of the coil: I put one bolt in the starter, started it, took the starter cover off, use screwdriver to ground the tab to the frame and it died just like it should so I think the coil's good it has to be the switch.

I'm gonna take the 3 metal parts out of the switch and see if there isn't some corrosion or some shit I can clean off to make better contact

Cereal_Killer

Solved!

I tested this wire with my multimeter last night but I think it must of been pressing the break back together since it metered ok. Started taking it apart and found this:
20201031_130806.jpg

Made a new one up right quick but had to reuse the one terminal, some odd German size I guess. But it works fine now, dies on command!
20201031_133150.jpg

cory

Good job fixing it.

Just an added note on the original problem, several times it has happened to me (but the problem wasn't a broken wire) and I spray the contact area with alcohol and problem is solved.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom