2003 Bandit 65, trying to re-power it now, any input? Thx

erwin

As many of you probably still remember, I picked up an almost new 200 hour, 2003 model year 65 early this spring. As I expected, the engine died now. No compression and sucking in the right cylinder when I put my finger in the spark plug hole. Also the push rod for the points does not move as I crank. I'm thinking about getting a 38 HP Kohler gas since a diesel replacement is harder to find and probably more work to fit. It's busy season now and I need the machine. I do have the 250 backup machine. Anyone has done a 65 repower with kohler 38? how much modification? which spec number should I get? below is the link for all the Kohler 38. Thx a lot. Erwin

erwin

it looks like the newer 65xp all got the kohler command pro 999 cc. just need to know which engine spec I should get to minimize the amount of work to put it on.

evo

I’d also check some marine applications for used diesels. Get the biggest hp you can make work. I’d also just call twindisk (if that’s the clutch you have and ask them for engines that work with the model clutch you have

Barc Buster

I just went through a kohler repower on my little dingo 220. The bolt pattern on the engine block is the same on all those 38's. It's the shaft width and length you will need to pay attention too. Match those up and you should be good to go.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
What engine is in it now? Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a replacement engine in the same configuration from the same manufacturer and just install it, rather than trying to adapt the chipper to run something different? The only similar experience I have is removing and reinstalling the 25HP Kohler engine in my Dingo. I bought a brand new engine in the same configuration for $1,600.00 and had the old one out and the new one in, in a day. I'm no ace mechanic by any stretch, but I was able to follow the plans in the shop manual for the machine. I found the best deal on the engine I needed at www.equipatron.com. By the way, I had the old engine remapped for about $400, so I've now got a spare engine ready to throw in, if the one in it now ever even starts to act cross-eyed. Easier to R&R the engine and get back to making money, than screwing around trying to diagnose a problem, at least for me.

Merle Nelson

Bandit mfg would be happy to direct you on which Kohler they use on those I bet.

I rented one of their 90XP chippers with that engine to try out in deciding which engine to chose. It ate 8 and 9 inch pine limbs 25 feet long like crazy. I would not hesitate to go that route.....or to go through a few upgrade challenges if bumping up from 24 hp.

erwin

What engine is in it now? Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a replacement engine in the same configuration from the same manufacturer and just install it, rather than trying to adapt the chipper to run something different? The only similar experience I have is removing and reinstalling the 25HP Kohler engine in my Dingo. I bought a brand new engine in the same configuration for $1,600.00 and had the old one out and the new one in, in a day. I'm no ace mechanic by any stretch, but I was able to follow the plans in the shop manual for the machine. I found the best deal on the engine I needed at www.equipatron.com. By the way, I had the old engine remapped for about $400, so I've now got a spare engine ready to throw in, if the one in it now ever even starts to act cross-eyed. Easier to R&R the engine and get back to making money, than screwing around trying to diagnose a problem, at least for me.
the original 25 or 23 hp is way too low. it chips slow and a new replacement will not last long.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
So the original engine ran properly for you at some point? If it was falling apart, of course it would seem underpowered. I'm sure Bandit didn't design them to roll off the assembly line running slow and not lasting. A brand new factory spec engine, should give you factory spec results, especially on a machine with low hours, as you stated yours was when you bought it.

Merle Nelson

If I were trying to decide 24 hp or 38 hp to re-engine a Bandit 65 and felt on the fence I would rent one in each hp and run them for a day each. It would be the best two days invested and the best $500 rental spent.

Chipping brush is hard enough as it is, no reason to make it any harder.

Reach

Can a person overpower a chipper or grinder or...?
Never! Actually, yes. Not likely to happen with a reasonable horsepower increase, but if you put a 100 hp on a 65XP I could see you over stressing components and breaking things, potentially major things. It would be a good idea to contact the manufacturer to see how much power they designed the machine to handle, and to not exceed that.

Reach

Do Bandit 65s have the same pump no matter if they’re 38 or 25 horse?
Not certain, but I would expect so, as the hydraulic demand would not really change between those two engines - the pump is still only supplying one feed roller turning at the same speed with either engine.

erwin

Not certain, but I would expect so, as the hydraulic demand would not really change between those two engines - the pump is still only supplying one feed roller turning at the same speed with either engine.
the pump is mounted on the cutting wheel axle, so nothing changes when u change the engine.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom