16 strand quick question

dmonn

Participating member
Are there any 16 strand ropes out there that are not cover dependent? I'm looking at some rope of unknown brand/type/material that has parallel core construction. If the cover is 16 strand, can I safely assume it can be spliced using Samson's 16 strand technique?

Brocky

Been here a while
It would depend on the percentages of the cover and core, it may be a kernmantle which happens to have a 16 std cover, but all the strength is in the core.

dmonn

Participating member
It would depend on the percentages of the cover and core, it may be a kernmantle which happens to have a 16 std cover, but all the strength is in the core.
So if some kernmantle rope has a 16 strand cover and the strength is in the core, then doing the Samson 16 strand Class I splice would cause most of the strength to be lost at the eye. Correct?

Brocky

Been here a while
Probably, if only polyester or nylon and with the usual thin cover of a kernmantel, wouldn’t likely be very strong. I’ve tried cover only hitch cords with Technora and polyester covers that tested between 3 to 3.5 thousand pounds. They broke opposite the entry point of the eye, apparently where it is the weakest.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom