15XP vs 15XPC

cody willard

I am setting our goals for next year and we are pretty sure a 15” chipper is what we want. We work primarily residential, and about 5% of our sales this year have been removals, “we are a tree preservation company“. Honestly we only need a 12 XP as that would be suitable for all of our work, but if we ever do decide to dabble in removals especially in the slower part of the year, I feel a 15” we could grow into if that happened. We also subcontract material haul off from time to time/partner up with other companies on some huge projects. On a lot of those projects, a chipper could be machine fed.

I felt like the 15XPC might be a good bet as it’s slightly more capable than a 12XP, but then for 8k more, we could just step up to a 15XP with a 165 hp gasser. I like to spend no more than 65K, so I won’t be able to get a winch on the 15XP and stay in our budget.

I understand the XPC is pretty much built on the 12XP chassis, it just shares the 15XP infeed system. The 15XP is quite a bit different and also has a huge drum and larger chip chute.

Has anybody ran both? The weight of the machines is a non-issue. I’m just curious if the XP premium over the XPC is worth it especially when you’re in shipping larger logs. The XPC’s drum is the same size or bigger than the ones on the Vermeer and Morbark, just curious if the 8k premium over the XPC is worth it. The XPC’s drum is the same size or bigger than the ones on the Vermeer and Morbark 15”, so show it it shows how extremely over built the 15XP is.

Last edited:

Serf Life

Carpal tunnel level member
There are a couple good 15” chipper threads, one of which is 15xp specific. Don’t remember a direct comparison. 15xp is same drum as 18xp and recommended if one is cranking out logs, xpc is 12xp drum with wider opening and would be awesome for brushy stuff and probably regular chipping of smaller logs. Does weight matter for you? Same engine? Can you get a winch on xpc in your budget? Love my 15xp, torque and recovery is outta sight, partially thanks to larger drum.

Will stein

I haven't run a 15xpc but we run the 1390xp with a 97hp perkins and I have to say it really is the perfect size chipper if you have the capability to haul large wood. All we do is machine feed it and it takes everything we can throw at It. The 37 inch drum imo is what I would want. I think the actual infeed opening is 16" by 18". Is it the same on the 15xpc? Hope this helps!

DTS

Participating member
Just replaced my 12xp with a 15xpc loved the 12xp just wanted a bigger in feed and more Hp. It’s like a 12xp on steroids it really eats wood. Has practically the same in feed as the 15xp with less weight. So you’ll be able to chip what the 15xp does. Have a 1590xp (18xp) for the bigger wood.

Attachments

• 2DDF629A-3A66-416A-8474-4C3FE2101607.jpeg
    2DDF629A-3A66-416A-8474-4C3FE2101607.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24

Fivepoints

Branched out member
I have a 990xp diesel. We use it for removals all the time. 13x17 infeed does fine. Ive used a 15xp quite a bit as a very good friend that we work with regularly owns one. It's very nice and really eats larger limbs better than the 990xp(12xp). I think the main reason is the larger and stronger infeed wheels. Either one works fine for lots of removals. We machine feed both of them all the time. I would go for the 12xp personally since you guys don't do tons of removals. We do lots of removals and don't feel the need to upgrade. We even have our own inhouse 35ton crane but the chipper isn't normally a bottleneck.

cody willard

Just replaced my 12xp with a 15xpc loved the 12xp just wanted a bigger in feed and more Hp. It’s like a 12xp on steroids it really eats wood. Has practically the same in feed as the 15xp with less weight. So you’ll be able to chip what the 15xp does. Have a 1590xp (18xp) for the bigger wood.
Great info! I really only need a 12XP, but I figure I should just upgrade to the 15XPC. 15XP being over kill for us. Did that run you around 55k?

Is that with a gas engine, or diesel? I would expect that the diesel would add $10k by itself quite easily.
Has the 165 gas engine, no winch. Still trying to figure out why my dealer is coming in 10k more on his calculator. His thought was shipping to Texas vs places closer to Michigan. The 145hp would save 4k.

cody willard

Just quoted today 61.5k for a 165hp 15XPC with a 40 gallon fuel tank, clear curtains, double teeth on the bottom feed wheel, fuel saver, and a spare tire. NO Winch.

The same build for the 15XP was 64.2k.

Literally a $3000 difference to get the 15 XP. Not really adding up to me, unless they’re selling those 15XPC’s like hot cakes and are upping the price???

DTS

Participating member
I was also quoted 3k more for the 15xp. I have the 145 hp with the 40 gallon fuel tank it eats fuel can’t imagine the 165 hp.

cody willard

I was also quoted 3k more for the 15xp. I have the 145 hp with the 40 gallon fuel tank it eats fuel can’t imagine the 165 hp.
Can’t believe the 15 XP is at $3000 upgrade. Everyone was telling me it’s 8 to $10,000 more.

Somebody was telling me they thought the 6.2 was actually a more fuel efficient V8 for a chipper. I wonder if the bigger drum uses less fuel for chipping brush vs the smaller drum on the XPC.

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
Can’t believe the 15 XP is at $3000 upgrade. Everyone was telling me it’s 8 to $10,000 more.

Somebody was telling me they thought the 6.2 was actually a more fuel efficient V8 for a chipper. I wonder if the bigger drum uses less fuel for chipping brush vs the smaller drum on the XPC.
I would think that a bigger engine wouldn’t work as hard as a smaller engine = more efficient

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom