100” dbh Sycamore

Steve Connally

This tree is on the longest continuously owned property in the USA. The brick were bought in colonial Williamsburg circa 1600’s. It’s been lived in by the same family ever since. The tree was photographed during the civil war. It was awe inspiring

Attachments

rico

What a beautifully soulful tree Steve. Can you imagine the things that tree has witnessed? Makes me think of the Steeldriver song thats told from the perspective of an ancient tree as it watches a civil war battle.

We have California Sycamore's (platanus racemosa) that live in the transition areas near the creeks and rivers where the Redwoods are just getting at the edges of their natural environment.. These things can get up to 6-9 ft DBH, and I worked in one yrs ago that was over 175ft...Huge canopies, with gorgeous foliage, and the color and texture of that bark.. So beautiful..One of my all time favorite trees and something to behold.

Last edited:

rico

Yea. When they grow among big Reds and Firs and can get big and crazy tall. The bigger ones tend to have very little taper on their trunks, and the sheer volume of wood is very impressive...These sycamores can be impressive enough that they can sometimes be the first thing you notice, even among the Reds and Firs...I am gonna be in an area with some particularly large sycamores next week, so I will try and swing by and get some pic with someone standing near them to get some perspective...

The only 2 trees (that weren't dead or rotten) that I ever remember getting a little spooked in was a big Euc, and a big Sycamore....Both can get downright huge. Both are crazy heavy, and when cutting both can sometimes have a mind of their own. I have mad respect for those who frequently work in big Euc's, as they can expose any shame in your game very quickly....

rico

We have mostly Blue Gums (Eucalyptus globulus) around here and they can be man eaters. They can get extremely tall, with fairly large canopies. The wood is very hard, hinges extremely well, and is heavy like a mofo. They are a joy to climb and work in, and have the potential to really test your mettle from time to time.

Already posted this, but a really cool Euc I am gonna work in later this summer. This tree isn't that tall at 130-140 ft, but has a huge canopy, and the girth and volume of the wood at 70-80 ft is downright scary (pics don't do it justice).

IMG_2052.JPG IMG_2056.JPG

dsptech

We have mostly Blue Gums (Eucalyptus globulus) around here and they can be man eaters. They can get extremely tall, with fairly large canopies. The wood is very hard, hinges extremely well, and is heavy like a mofo. They are a joy to climb and work in, and have the potential to really test your mettle from time to time.

Already posted this, but a really cool Euc I am gonna work in later this summer. This tree isn't that tall at 130-140 ft, but has a huge canopy, and the girth and volume of the wood at 70-80 ft is downright scary (pics don't do it justice).

View attachment 69060
I just about crapped myself seeing the diameter of this tree (not to mention your mug). ;)
Prehistoric sized monster and look at the size of the leaves. Nuts!
So glad we don't have anything near that big around here.
Raking the leaves in the fall would be an absolute nightmare.

Seriously stunning epic trees. (y)
Thanks to you and Steve for sharing.

Last edited:

rico

I just about crapped myself seeing the diameter of this tree (nut to mention your mug). ;)
Prehistoric sized monster and look at the size of the leaves. Nuts!
So glad we don't have anything near that big around here.
Raking the leaves in the fall would be an absolute nightmare.

Seriously stunning epic trees. (y)
Thanks to you and Steve for sharing.
All that stuff your seeing on the ground is bark, not leaves. These trees constantly shed their thin bark in long ribbons. Between that, the leaves, and the fruiting bodies these thing are some messy mofo's.....

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom