1- Anyone test ABS on 'Ultrasling' config's? 2 - Can I use a prussik, on DB rope, as a 'catch'/choker for a block?

eyehearttrees

Any insight would be appreciated here!!

#1 -- The Ultrasling seems a neat configuration, am about to order some 3/4-->1" TEC to splice-up one for a #3 Elevation-Canda ring (10% wider than X-ring's XL/'Beast' ring :D ) but I've always understood that those 'pockets'(ie brummels) are not locks and it's got me very curious about using them for negative-rigging, and the lack of ABS/MBS #'s on pages selling them isn't helping....can't get myself to do it/make one til I know just how strong the brummel-pocketing is, I mean if I just make a whoopie config then my ABS is greater than a loose-length of the cordage used, but with the Ultrasling's pockets I'm uncertain if it's nearly 2X the cordage as I'd hope, or if the brummels are a weak-point and those pockets'-edges are just equal to cordage's ABS(or, hopefully not, but even lower-than the cord like w/ a dead-eye or knotted configuration!)

#2 -- Can I just put a prussik-loop (or two) onto a long-tailed double-braid sling and use the prussik(s) as 'chokers'? For instance, a 10' length of 3/4" double-braid, with a Safebloc spliced-into one end, and a prussik (or pair of prussiks, one being longer than the other of course) on 'the other side' of the sling so that I can whip the Safebloc around a spar(or crotch), slide the prussik(s) into place and just drop the Safebloc through the prussik(s) loop(s)? Honestly that seems like it'd be as-easy as a whoopie, and I can't really fault it, but the fact I've never seen this in rigging applications worries me (in fact the only applications I see this in are those "pulley-saver" false-crotches, where something like a Pinto Rig is wrapped-around a spar/crotch and *fed-through* a loop on the sling, effectively "choking" things and used that way....am VERY eager to understand all I can about this idea of using prussik-loops as 'catches'/chokers for hardware, both in terms of negative-rigging and even in terms of climbing-anchorage (for instance I'm starting to think my ideal climbing-anchor would be 3/4 double-braid with (2) prussiks on one side that "catch" a giant #3 ring that's spliced-into the other end, it'd be super fast to setup and the bend-radius of just a single XL/#3 ring is *worlds* friendlier than a pair of the biggest o-rings so am very happy to go that way but prior warnings of "don't use an x-rings rigging whoopie as a climbing-anchor" ring in my head, can't understand *why* anyone would be worried about doing that but can't get the warnings out of my head!

20200116_121210.jpg

20200116_121627.jpg

Thanks a TON for any advice on any of this, would be greatly appreciated!!! Am also looking to understand more about prussiks-in-general in terms of ABS/MBS relative to the cordage that makes them up, IF anybody's willing to donate some o-rings, 'biners or anything I would donate however much Mercury rope (11mm/8500lbs static with 3.5% stretch @10%ABS so a very very strong 11mm maybe *the* strongest, my new climb&lanyard cordage, will have a good review up today or tomorrrow have tested it hard nearly 2mo now and wouldn't dream of going-back to Blue Moon!) Will donate up to 50' of Mercury to the cause if others help with hardware, my goal is to get @richard Mumford to do some tests specifically:
1 -- a 2' Mercurry loop as prussik on a 3/4 double-braid, to see what it takes to rip it in half, then
2 -- same configuration only using an Enforcer / dynamic weight to see if it can handle, say, the peak-dynamic that'd be generated by a 6' free-fall of a 220lbs person with just 15' of rope in-system, and lastly:
3 -- a test of doubled-over ("Treesqueeze"-style) Mercury, am curious about this as it's how my 'multi-adjust lanyard' is setup, I just put a pair of o-rings on the center of a 20' length of Mercury, folded it back to 10' long as a doubled-over line and used a bunch of small hair-elastttics to 'pin it together' (yup they hold great & prussik slides-over them w/o you even noticing it) and have a 9mm Epicord prussik on the other end so I can always choose a tight/precise length whethter I'm using both ends to my side-D's or choking a spar with the Epicord-around-Mercury and single-connected to the O-rings at its end (I've gotta do the #'s but I'm pretty sure my/this lanyard is stronger than *anything* available in the magazines :D )

theatertech87

1 I think nugreen store, or Treestuff did some break test videos on ultra slings

2 only reason I can think of that prussik aren't more common is the loads they can't take... I.e. they slip under excessive load, so would need to have a stopper knot below it. Also the strength of prison cord is low compared to your 3/4 inch longer and probably isn't suitable for more than light ish rigging... That being said there area couple guys at work that use a single extra long rigging prussik for their porta wraps without issue (extra length for more could for better bite)

Treetopflyer

I dont use anything other than deadeye slings anymore with appropriate rated cordage knotted break stregnth loads in the range of which I'm rigging.. I've never used ultra slings because I havent a problem whipping a cow hitch or the similar around a fatty spar if need be so I can't help you there.. I think deadeye ring slings are the most versatile and best suited slings for riggin trees based on the fact they can be moved midline while trapped on the line. Basically any other style sling your kinda stuck in a sense if you know what I mean.. everything is application specific , you have to take consideration into how your applying the techniques for what reasons and learn how by why , when , where ... do some rigging in a non critical situation with the setups your interested in and make some mental (or written if you need )notes on the reactions to your setups.. how else can we learn..

SeanRuel

I think the ultra sling breaks at well over the rated strength of tenex bc it's basically 2 lengths of rope.

Tom Hoffman had some videos of a rigging ring prussic setup on YouTube. Look up u-saver to find his channel

JeffGu

You're usually safe with using the cordage single line strengths with an ultrasling. It's in choked-basket mode and they do test at a little over the single-line strength, but if you just use the cordage numbers, you have a little extra safety factor. With self-abrading fibers you have to derate the sling a bit (like Amsteel) and you have to be diligent with inspections.

Anytime you use a prusik in a rigging scenario, breaking the prusik cord isn't usually a problem. Stripping the cover off the rigging rope, however, and glazing both the rope and cord, is a very real problem. That's going to be the cause of a failure, especially when there's a lot of shock loading. The heat generated is enormous, and on a drop sled the prusik and rope usually show lots of melting and glazing, just before the rope breaks from having it's sheath (or outer layers of 3-strand ropes) stripped off by the prusik.

I'm sure there is probably drop-test video footage on YouTube. I haven't actually looked, but it seems like somebody makes a YouTube video about everything, sooner or later.

SeanRuel

Anyone know what happened to tom? I miss his tinkering posts and vids

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Tom's a helluva nice guy.. had a few long phone conversations with him in regards to rigging and such.. hes got it going on up in the ol sling basket! I hope hes doing well..

dsptech

He developed issues with his vision so retired from climbing and tree work.
He was in it for a short time but developed some amazing gear in that time.
I have spoke with him as well on the phone about his stump puller rig I duplicated with his help and the U-Rig.
He really is a great guy and it's a dam shame he's not around anymore.

SeanRuel

If someone could pm me his contact info I'd love to get in touch just to say thanks!

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

eyehearttrees

1 I think nugreen store, or Treestuff did some break test videos on ultra slings

2 only reason I can think of that prussik aren't more common is the loads they can't take... I.e. they slip under excessive load, so would need to have a stopper knot below it. Also the strength of prison cord is low compared to your 3/4 inch longer and probably isn't suitable for more than light ish rigging... That being said there area couple guys at work that use a single extra long rigging prussik for their porta wraps without issue (extra length for more could for better bite)
Would appreciate any&all elaboration on that anecdote Re guys using them w/ porty's (so confused how it's even put in-place in that context :p )

I'll google around again but would love to know if anyone's got guesses at how nugreen/treestuff found Ultraslings to be, I look at their makeup and it looks like it should be (cordageABS)X(2) (minus inefficiencies like rope-bend wherever the working end is brought-through a pocket) Loopies have more strength than whoopies have more strength than regular splicing....am expecting Ultra's to be better, and wanna make a crazy ~12' long, 1' pockets Ultra for a terminal sling but wanna ensure it's superior to whoopie strength 1st!

I dont use anything other than deadeye slings anymore with appropriate rated cordage knotted break stregnth loads in the range of which I'm rigging.. I've never used ultra slings because I havent a problem whipping a cow hitch or the similar around a fatty spar if need be so I can't help you there.. I think deadeye ring slings are the most versatile and best suited slings for riggin trees based on the fact they can be moved midline while trapped on the line. Basically any other style sling your kinda stuck in a sense if you know what I mean.. everything is application specific , you have to take consideration into how your applying the techniques for what reasons and learn how by why , when , where ... do some rigging in a non critical situation with the setups your interested in and make some mental (or written if you need )notes on the reactions to your setups.. how else can we learn..
Well put -- I made my 1st whoopie, for my Safebloc, because I found that on many jobs we'd go for inferior hardware (a 3-ring sling) simply because it was quicker to put up than taking that 20' tail and tying it up there....I'm lucky to be getting into this as rings are replacing blocks as it gives me the luxury to have more pieces-per-dollar for my kit (which inherently allows a more versatile kit!) so I've got a pair of 3/4 double-braid long-tails for regular cow/timber hitching (one w/ a generic rope-thimble, one w/ a #3/XL rig ring), a 9' Safebloc whoopie, and a 5' / 3-ringed x-sling, allows me to simply & quickly setup anything I want in fact Ultrasling is overkill for sure I just like the idea and like splicing and these hollow-braids are so cheap & easy to splice :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re pulleys-as-catches (like the Pulley Saver), I'd always thought a prussik would break before slippage!! Uh oh.... At any rate, I'm thinking that if you used 2 Mercury prussiks like in my picture only you ensured their lengths were dead-on I mean both became under-tension from catching the ring/safebloc at identical times, you'd basically have Mercury-prussik (8.5k X2?), doubled-up, and it's not like that strength is dead in-line w/ the load it's lateral strength to hold the ring/Bloc in position, am gonna make a generic/cheap 3/8" prussik loop and see how easy it is to break it in this config, am guessing it will be surprisingly strong (as it's not really in-line w/ load)

eyehearttrees

He retired

He retired and sold all his gear. I don't remember the details but something about a medical condition preventing him from doing it anymore
FUUUUdge....he seemed a real good guy have watched a lot of his youtubes, 'medical' has been claiming so many people in my world lately :/

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom