Zip line slings

Stephen Moore

Ok so I’ve been using tubular webbing with tape knots and locking beeners for years now but after seeing what’s being offered for sale, I decided I liked the idea but I wanted to make my own.
I then thought, which is better - cord or webbing? After testin the two for grip, ease of use, and other uses like prussik cords or light rigging duties, the cordage seemed to me the better choice. Your situation may differ.
Do I ordered a whack of 8mm Viper cord and a box of Kong double action beeners and tied a few up.
The first thing I noticed was a girth hitch to the beener,using the standard double fisherman’s, with the knot close to the beener did not capture the girth hitch well enough. Do I captured the other side of the loop by tying it into the fisherman’s as a ( sliding fisherman’s ) and cinched it down on the girth hitch. Now it’s perfect! In addition the tail end toward the beener could be stowed under the lower wrap with no adverse effect to the security of the knot

JeffGu

Yeah, but your little corner shack isn't as messy as either of mine. Here's the one at the Osceola house... sometimes I set stuff down, just for a minute, and never see it again for a year.

LabShack1.jpg LabShack2.jpg

Stephen Moore

Hey Ive got the same Yaesu Ft in my shack! That old thing works pretty good! It drifts a bit til the tubes warm up but hey.. Its pretty old! I drift too til I warm up lol

Stephen Moore

My wife won't let me get messy so a lot of what you have there is in the garage! She just doesn't understand. Just like my tower... she doesn't get the magic of RF

southsoundtree

I typically use non-locking aluminum with webbing (beer knot) or accessory. No girth hitching. Why? Its doesn't cross-load, IME.

I even have bought 100' of cheap Home Depot cord for light limbs when I have a lot to speedline.

I have a couple locking biners for awkward limbs and funky orientations, like speedlining from the backside of the tree, where the trunk might interfere with the biner.

Junk 1/2" rigging rope slings for vertical / regular speedlining wood.

Never had a problem.

Stephen Moore

I typically use non-locking aluminum with webbing (beer knot) or accessory. No girth hitching. Why? Its doesn't cross-load, IME.

I even have bought 100' of cheap Home Depot cord for light limbs when I have a lot to speedline.

I have a couple locking biners for awkward limbs and funky orientations, like speedlining from the backside of the tree, where the trunk might interfere with the biner.

Never had a problem.
I’ve had a couple limbs escape over the years, luckily no damage! These Kong beeners are very easy to use, perhaps a tad too easy? It doesn’t take much pressure on the rear latch handle to unlock the gate. The beeners are pretty tough though, the Viper cord is rated for 4200 lbs, so you could drop a fairly large bull pine with them. However, for bigger limbs line that I normally default to a direct rope connection.

Stephen Moore

Never had a problem.
I don’t see cross loading as an issue in this example, the captive end pretty much calls for this connection and it keeps the knot out of the way.

southsoundtree

Different strokes. Not trying to change your mind. (y):birra:

Different options for other readers to choose from.

Economy if it fits. My Home Depot slings are for the jobs with lots of small limbs, and haven't been used in a year or two.

I use spectra/ dyneema slings for heavy pieces, and keep a couple lockers on board.

I think I've lost one branch, as I think about it, maybe two. Probably due to a small stub, combined with the limb coming from the back side of the tree, or other combo-error. Locking biners on anything critical when combined with anything that might prevent it from running fair.

southsoundtree

Stephen, I've wondered if webbing will grab a split maple branch (most likely to slide out, IME) better than cordage. Seems like less contact area.

Again, different strokes and all that. :)