Yale Scandere

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by k8ytree, Mar 25, 2017.

1. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Pfanner man

Pfanner man Active Member

hmmm, i wonder why? maybe personal preference? we all run our rigs a lil diff. i like to rip around on mine so they're set for speed & only come out for the biggest trees. they're also very broken in ;)

I would say the tightness of the weave of the jacket, I found the RR very easy to engage on it. Strangely though, the rope did flatten a good bit. Also there was a bit of stretch to it, less than regular climbing lines but more than a regular static. Maybe that's why it didn't stiffen up and turn into a hank of cable after the climb :p It retrieved really easily and floated through my ascenders as well.

TimBr likes this.
  3. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Pfanner man; Thanks for the answer to my question.

One more, if it's not too much trouble. You say "I like to rip around on mine so they're set for speed & only come out for the biggest trees. They're also very broken in." This refers to your use of the Rope Runners, correct? If so, why is it that you only pull them out for the biggest trees? Is it your level of comfort with the Rope Wrench and hitches? Or is it that you find the Rope Runner to be more work to use than a Wrench, and therefore you only pull it out when the tree is big enough to require more time in the tree, and thereby make the extra effort worth the trouble? I'm just guessing here, and trying to understand the reason for your different approach based on the size of the tree.

Thanks for your patience with me, and for any further answers you choose to provide.

Tim

4. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

I had the same questions. I rr everything and mine is very very broken I.

TimBr likes this.
  5. Steve Connally

I don't rip around anything. I'm fairly methodical and purposeful but like to think I could if I wanted. AnywAy I'm a cougar guy. My only rope forever. I got Aztec in hopes akimbo would like it better and it did for a little while. I had to return akimbo as it was a demo so I'm back on the runner. Seeing that cougar has a limited life at treestuff I'm looking to try something different. I was thinking kmIII max but not black. WesSpur won't stitch and eye because they weren't pleased with the breaktest results and I want eyes on both ends. Dave just had a tough time with this rope. He felt like he really couldn't dial it in. Dave is a stout dude so maybe weight and size difference from
    You. He just wasn't a fan. Said it was similar to the work pro 11mm. I want to try something new. Aztec is still in great shape but the runner is a rope crusher and even after washing the rope to fluff it back up I've still developed a little creep. I don't believe it's from wear on the runner because it doesn't creep on cougar. Anyway I'm looking to go outside my box and try another new rope maybe I'll try it unless you have another favorite.

TimBr and Magnum783 like this.
  6. Steve Connally

I didn't mean you weren't methodical in your ripping around. If I could rip like you I suppose I would all the time. Lol

Magnum783 and TimBr like this.
  7. Pfanner man

for me, the Rope Wrench is the easier to use tool, especially when making micro adjustments (like letting out just an inch of slack so you can reach something). all around user friendly, easy up & down, ready to go on any rope.
    the effortless slack tending (or even self tending), ability to make bigger swings, and being able to fully collapse the device to pull against a flat rope angle with it fairleaded over branches with the weight of +100' rope hanging down the Rope Runner is why i like it in the bigger trees.
    Rope Runner has a rep of being hard to engage, especially before it's been broken in. I always found it way easier on static rope but still requiring the right adjustment and hand position. With Scandere it was like butter. maybe i just got lucky but i'd say it's worth a try. too bad we all can't just go demo it at local shops or "rent a rope"
    & no need to apologize for anything, only stupid question is the one you don't ask, we're all resources of experience for each other to learn from (y)

8. Pfanner man

i'm not always methodical, sometimes i start running before thinking about where i'm goin :loco: maybe Dave was using a new Runner &/ or didn't readjust his bollard. who knows. the Runner can be a bit of a finicky device.
    i ran my cougar blue into the ground. was a great rope.

TimBr likes this.
  9. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Pfanner man; Thanks so much for the great answers, and for your time in writing them up. It is greatly appreciated.

Tim

moss likes this.
  10. Steve Connally

Ditto, thanks

11. Steve Connally

So is it spliceable or stitchable? @Worthaug

12. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

Not hand spliceable

Reed Wortley
    CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP# 01739

13. castanea

castanea Member

Is Scandere a durable rope? Kernmaster wasn't.

14. treewill

treewill Active Member

I'll second what Pfanner man said: it works brilliantly with the rope runner. Way better than anything else I've tried. That said, my scandere does seem to be getting flat after a week of use so I'm not sure how well it will wear over time.

I prefer the rope wrench for almost all my climbs; really I only use the runner for going up and down easy conifers. But with the scandere it gets a lot more play than before.

LandonPainter and TimBr like this.
  15. LandonPainter

LandonPainter Active Member

I've been using scandere for about a month. I primarily climb on a rope runner and so far it's been a great line. Noticeably less bounce than kernmaster and the cover seems pretty durable. It does flatten out a bit while running through the device, but personally, I think the flattening of the rope makes the runner operate more smoothly. I would totally recommend it for SRT.

moss and TimBr like this.
  16. Steve Connally

So Landon, where are you on this rope. Still thumbs up?

17. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

18. Magnum783

Magnum783 Well-Known Member

TimBr likes this.
  19. LandonPainter

LandonPainter Active Member

So far so good guys. I don't have any complaints yet. It is stiff so you have to spend some extra time dressing and setting your knots but not a big deal. I'll definitely chime in if my opinion changes. Cheers!

TimBr and Steve Connally like this.
  20. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

I just bought a 150 from Wesspur that should be here today. Got the labor Day deal on it so $103 for it. Now they have 40% off Samson. Go figure.