Yale Kernmaster splicing

oceans

Sometimes I get on a roll, other times I crash and burn.

I really should be using an awl like Nick showed off. That would make the picking much easier. Sometimes I feel like the Joker's plastic surgeon... with limited tools, making a freak show of a splice. I splice a smudge under the amount of time at which you'd want to build a nice work station and invest in tools.

Tony

Sometimes I get on a roll, other times I crash and burn.

I really should be using an awl like Nick showed off. That would make the picking much easier. Sometimes I feel like the Joker's plastic surgeon... with limited tools, making a freak show of a splice. I splice a smudge under the amount of time at which you'd want to build a nice work station and invest in tools.
Oceans, Your sense of humor is awl messed up!

No Reallyo_O

Tony

oceans

Thanks, Tony. No, really... Thanks!

By, the way, my beard is back. I just need to climb some White Pines for a while and then all bets are off again.:mad: White Pine CRAZY!!!

oceans

Summer's coming. The beard will be going, but I usually have that Spring-time tan on my face when there's full sun and I'm staring right into it for hours, and when I first shave I look all funny and junk.

I have been able to do 12 kernmaster splices to date. It is not easy but they are much better than knots. I use kernamster in a ddrt setup with a hitch climber pulley. The knots get in the way of the hitch.

I use class 1 double braid splice instructions. I use a samson 7/16 fid for measurements. Do the cover bury first. Count out 8 strands and then start the cover taper. One pair every 5 strands after that. Taper the core before the core bury. I use a piece of #12 copper as a wire fid for the core bury.

The thing that is different in my splices is that I use 6" between marks for the eye but I pull the crossover several inches down into the rope making a tight eye. I also shift the extraction mark on the core back 4 inches. If you do not do this you will not have enough room to bury the crossover. This rope have a very thin cover and it needs to be bunched up a lot to make the bury.