Yale Kernmaster splicing

Discussion in 'The Splice Rack' started by roxy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. TreeLogic

TreeLogic Well-Known Member

U punny Oceans.

2. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Sometimes I get on a roll, other times I crash and burn.

I really should be using an awl like Nick showed off. That would make the picking much easier. Sometimes I feel like the Joker's plastic surgeon... with limited tools, making a freak show of a splice. I splice a smudge under the amount of time at which you'd want to build a nice work station and invest in tools.

3. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Oceans, Your sense of humor is awl messed up!

No Reallyo_O

Tony

4. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tony. No, really... Thanks!

By, the way, my beard is back. I just need to climb some White Pines for a while and then all bets are off again.:mad: White Pine CRAZY!!!

diogenes likes this.
  5. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I got rid of all facial hair in the hopes white pine trees would not recognize me and thus gang up on me!

So far, so good!

Tony

oceans likes this.
  6. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Summer's coming. The beard will be going, but I usually have that Spring-time tan on my face when there's full sun and I'm staring right into it for hours, and when I first shave I look all funny and junk.

7. Santiago Casanova

Santiago Casanova Member

I have been able to do 12 kernmaster splices to date. It is not easy but they are much better than knots. I use kernamster in a ddrt setup with a hitch climber pulley. The knots get in the way of the hitch.

I use class 1 double braid splice instructions. I use a samson 7/16 fid for measurements. Do the cover bury first. Count out 8 strands and then start the cover taper. One pair every 5 strands after that. Taper the core before the core bury. I use a piece of #12 copper as a wire fid for the core bury.

The thing that is different in my splices is that I use 6" between marks for the eye but I pull the crossover several inches down into the rope making a tight eye. I also shift the extraction mark on the core back 4 inches. If you do not do this you will not have enough room to bury the crossover. This rope have a very thin cover and it needs to be bunched up a lot to make the bury.

8. Santiago Casanova

Santiago Casanova Member

My homemade multi anchor.

Attached Files:

Tyler Durden likes this.
  9. Santiago Casanova

Santiago Casanova Member

I think I might have something wrong with me. I actually like splicing this stuff.

Attached Files: