Yale Kernmaster splicing

Discussion in 'The Splice Rack' started by roxy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. DBT

DBT Member

ive only spliced the 11mm so cant comment- is that the 7/16"??
    Hows tricks Eric? will you be at Pasadena? im flying over for it

2. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

yah, 11mm = 7/16"

Work is going well, and despite the thin crew, we're all in good spirit and staying healthy. Thanks. Hope you're well, too. Not sure if Pasadena will be in the cards for me. If I don't make it, I sure wish you the best of luck over there. If I do, first rounds on me.

3. roxy

roxy Active Member

Evo, looks great from here. Marden, yeah can't believe I didn't think of taking it to Fids and Fibers. I have the 12mm line. I'm going to try to splice it this coming weekend. Will post some photos when I can.

4. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Good luck with it, Roxy!

So, I think I'm going to buy a Toss Wand, just because it's a Toss Wand. I feel like it's more of a 16 strand tool, but I know guys that have them mounted in vices and use them for everything. Now, if only I had a vice...and a bench...and a shop...maybe I can just mount it on the receiver hitch on my truck.

5. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Oceans, then you can just drive a way and the rope will splice it's self

6. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Right!? I'd want a spotter to know when the bury ran home. I have to openly admit this 1/2" Kernmaster has been making me wish I could drive the splice home. Getting the core tucked gave me blisters, but I've got the coolest rig line around! I probably won't be able to bring myself to use it after all this!

7. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Any successful Kernmaster splicers notice that the 32 carrier jacket makes the crossover a tiny bit finicky...trying to keep the jacket from being tucked into itself where the core enters? I had to over-tuck and then back the jacket up until the crossover mark on the core appeared while keeping pressure on the jacket. Maybe I'm just trying too hard? I just wanted to ensure all possible slack was out of the jacket when the eye was finished.

8. evo

evo Well-Known Member

yeah it happens.. I just use a awl to work it back. I managed to splice the other end today, and I did a loooong core bury. It looked more like the cover bury before it went in. I tapered the first 5" from the start of where it enters the throat, then pulled as much slack as I could and finished the taper. The "snap ring" pliers I have work really well to open up the cover.

http://bodyjewelryfactory.com/rinopplier...CFRSPfgodTH0A7A

9. Tree Access

Tree Access Member

Hm, getting really interested in splicng Kernmaster now... :)
    Is it just about the tightness of the cover, or is there something else special about it?
    Hasnt Ocean Polyester a 32.strand cover as well?

10. Marden

Marden Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I managed to splice the other end today, and I did a loooong core bury. It looked more like the cover bury before it went in. I tapered the first 5" from the start of where it enters the throat, then pulled as much slack as I could and finished the taper. The "snap ring" pliers I have work really well to open up the cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evo,
    Maybe that step would be easier if you don't bury the cover at the crossover until AFTER you bury the core ? This may give you more core to work with.

-Michael

11. evo

evo Well-Known Member

marden, I'm not. I deal with the core 1st. Well not exactly. I make the eye marks about 18"+ up from the end of the rope, this gives me plenty of core to work with. In fact I'm tapering the core twice. I set every thing up, to get a good idea of where to start the core bury. Once I have that, I remove 1/2 the core strands, but don't cut them. Then from the end of the core I take another 1/2 of the remaining strands but I do cut these. I run my fid in and where it comes out near the cross over I open up the cover a little with the snap ring pliers. Not a alot just a little.

After that I do the cover taper and bury. It's not very tiddy but works very well for me. I then bury the core 6" + and trim the core taper tails right before they enter. When the core pops out from the bury it leave me a long tail, that I can wrap around my hand. The next step is to smooth every thing out, take the slack out of the cover in the eye.. This may require pulling in reverse on the core bury. This pulling in reverse helps with the taper tails laying true, and the cover puckering or inverting at the x over. Next I mark where the core exits the bury (just a guide mark) then I pull as much core out as I can,( or until I see where I started the taper), and continue tapering long and thin to about 1/2" short of my mark.

I then equalize every thing again while I finish the core bury starting at the x over. This takes time, and some effort. I then finish the cover taper the same and untie my keeper on the tail exiting the core, and smooth out the cross over.

The next step it to lube up, and run it home. I feel that I can do an eye in about 2 hours may be 3. Thats with a 6 year old hiding dad's fid, scissors, tape, and what ever he can sneak off.

Jonnster likes this.
  12. Marden

Marden Member

Evo,
    That sounds almost exactly like what I do. Only I need to try trimming the core taper tails right before they enter as in your process.

So, an hour or so to do your splice and another 2 hours chasing your 6 year old around the house. No running with scissors !!!

BTW, you have an awesome avatar.

-Michael

13. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Thanks, That's one of my favorite places. That tree is leaning over a 30' ish cliff to the lake. It also has a root running along the rock surface about 15 to 20' to where it found a fissure and sinks.

So back to the kernmaster splice, with the calls I made it is breaking testing between 6,200 and 5,700. If memory serves and I understood right that is with normal DB class 1 measurements. They also said sewn was 7,500. I assume these number were for 11mm since that's what we were speaking about. So that's 80% to 87% of average breaking strength.

[​IMG]

14. treehive

treehive Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck with it, Roxy!

So, I think I'm going to buy a Toss Wand, just because it's a Toss Wand. I feel like it's more of a 16 strand tool, but I know guys that have them mounted in vices and use them for everything. Now, if only I had a vice...and a bench...and a shop...maybe I can just mount it on the receiver hitch on my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only use toss wands. and you have to use a vice. its like having a extra set of hands, also I need to come up there and help out. let me know when its no longer nipple cracking cold.

15. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Well, the heat does other things to nipples, and that's coming. Choose your weather! Actually, we'll be in the 40's today. High 30's yesterday. Downright balmy, just gotta have a coat ready when the sun drops.

Derail done...

Kernmaster splicing. It's like milking an accordion. LOL!

16. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the TB updates will allow me to post photos. There's a TON I've wanted to share and I've always wanted to smash my confuser when trying to post in the past. Hopefully, here comes a pic of the 1/2" Kernmaster I was talking about in this thread...
    1:2" Kernmaster Splice.jpg

Jonnster and RopeMan like this.
  17. evo

evo Well-Known Member

that's purdy! I want to see more

18. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, evo. The real finicky thing about this line is the carriers in the jacket. With so many, and being so thin, I found it took some time to pick and massage the jacket back into an equalized weave were the core taper exits during the splicing process. I used the smallest fid in my kit to pick up a strand and pull, going to the next place it's exposed and picking again, and so on, until the bight got smaller and smaller. I'm not really sure if all traces of that exit hole will ever disappear, but perhaps it will after significant use over time.

I really hope to use this line for some knotless rigging applications.

19. NickfromWI

NickfromWI Well-Known Member

You don't have an awl for that? Get yourself one!!

image.jpg

oceans likes this.
  20. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Awl wrapped in leather. Awl stitched up. Awl of 5 inches. :)

TreeLogic likes this.