Yale Kernmaster splicing

roxy

Does anyone have the specifics and experience on splicing this line? I have a hand sewn eye, just for hauling up via throwline, and I'd like to replace it with a rated splice.

NickfromWI

It can be hand spliced.

Use a longer core tail than usual. Make a loooooong smooth taper on the core and taper it BEFORE you pass it through the cover.

It is totally do-able. It looks AMAZING when done. It seems like it should be impossible, but when I finished the second one, I was a believer.

oceans

Got any photos and dimensions, Nick?

After looking at the core a while ago at Yale's splicing workshop, I asked Jamie what was up with it...I was previously under the assumption it was kerns, but it's actually braided. He said that's why Kernmaster doesn't work harden.

Is it difficult to get the core taper into the cover with the higher number of carriers?

NickfromWI

You know- I'm reading what I wrote (at 1am) and I realize that it isn't very intelligible. Let me clarify: The finished splice will have the same dimensions as a regular polyester double braid (aka Class 1). But start out with a longer core tail so you can make a super taper, then bury that tapered tail (if you follow the Brion Toss method, you bury the tail, THEN make the core taper. Don't do that here)

Oceans- pics of what? The splice looks like any other splice. All the steps are the same, just more challenging.

roxy

Thanks Nick and Oceans. I thought I'd read/heard someplace that is was spliceable. I'd be OK with a stitched eye, just seems silly to send out 200 ft of rope to get that done. I'm heading to Fids & Fibers again this year, thinking I'll take that for my entire baggage and see if we can't make it happen.

Nick if you have photos I would be interested in giving it a try...

NickfromWI

I found a pic I put up on Facebook a few months ago. I have a lot of pics of the steps along the way, but other than tapering the core before burying it, I spliced this the same as any other double braid splice

Attachments

evo

too pretty I know, still proud of the blisters :) .. I'd think it would hold up just fine... What is the difference between kernmaster and a core dependent double braid? Hypothetically could you do a locking Brummel such as the bee line in you avatar? It would be no where as pretty..

NickfromWI

I don't know what the cover/core strength balance is in kern master. I know the splice I did is the manufacturer's recommended splice for the rope. In that beeline it's 100% in the core, 0% cover. Maybe kern master is 60/40? That's just a hunch.

evo

Ok so I just got a 200' hank of this kernmaster stuff. I want to splice it, any one care to share this super top secret yale instructions? Is is just a straight DB class 1. Do you do the core bury longer, with more of a taper? or do you bury the same, with more taper? I'll call yale on monday if I don't hear from you all.