X-Ring Sling with knots

Louhut

Looking to make a ring and ring sling setup with some 12mm tenex (May stick some 15.9 tenex in for heavier stuff) and two large rings. I can’t splice both rings in because I don’t know how to do a weaved Brummell yet, only regular locked Brummell. So I’ve just tied them on with buntline hitches. Doing this would also allow me to change cordage over without curing the rope out. Does anyone know how much rope strength the buntline retains and if using the rings like this is recommended. Thanks in advance

Attachments

theatertech87

Depending on the length of the sling you're looking for, you can do a full bury eye. No need for locked brummels, it just allows the bury to be substantially shorter

Louhut

Oh yeah good idea. I could just do one f those either end and have the buries meet up. I’ll maybe get a bit of 16 mm rex and whip something up with that. I am quite fond of the termination knots though, I can keep the sling short-ish without any need for spliced and whipping.

RBJtree

I am pretty sure it is strongly recommended by the manufacturer to only use the rings with splices. But I don't see why double scaffold knots wouldn't work. I am interested to hear how it works out.

Z'sTrees

I've got a sling that's an x ring/ large steel ring with scaffold knots. Haven't had any problems with it. I use it for a remotely set and retrievable rigging point. Didn't have time to splice it when I made it and although I have a piece of rope set aside to splice those into, I haven't bothered

Tr33Climb3r

I've run a couple with knots. No big deal just know you have strength loss with knots around 30% (At least was told this when I was in school back in 2009) where hand splice retains 90% strength. I believe sewing is basically 100% retention.
So factor that in an you should be ok.

chiselbit

I’ve got an xring tied on with a scaffold hitch that I used as a redirect for the chipper winch and noticed it pulled the knot down into the ring groove and started spreading it apart. Just a little and nothing failed but I didn’t like it. I’ll use blocks now when pulling heavy loads. A splice would have been fine I’m sure.

Louhut

I tied mine with a buntline,it’s a little bit more compact than a fisherman’s, it might not separate the knot in that way. I did end up using my two rings on a whoopie and a deadeye as redirects and then I could use my beast ring on 3/4 rex as terminal rigging point, I wasn’t sold on the knots due to the strength loss, although I’m sure they’d be fine

chiselbit

I tied mine with a buntline,it’s a little bit more compact than a fisherman’s, it might not separate the knot in that way. I did end up using my two rings on a whoopie and a deadeye as redirects and then I could use my beast ring on 3/4 rex as terminal rigging point, I wasn’t sold on the knots due to the strength loss, although I’m sure they’d be fine
I went to a buntline too. Doesn’t seem to spread the ring as much. I probably should just learn to splice, it doesn’t look that hard. What’s hard is finding the time to do it.

Mowerr

I use knots sometimes cause I have one xring that I keep free for versatility. Fiori girth hitches his rings. I'd love to see some testing bc I get the feeling that the increased bend radius of the rope termination in the ring groove. Everyone says tenex is easy to splice so I just need to get some and learn it. Untill then ill just assume there's 30 percent strength loss. Good thread

Jehinten

Its very easy to splice 12 strand. A dead eye can be done in minutes and the only tools needed are a pair of scissors and a fid. Personally I use a wire fid that I make out of cheap hobby wire. Some slings can take a little longer but dead eye, whoopie, and loopie slings are all very quick and easy to make.

Jehinten

Its very easy to splice 12 strand. A dead eye can be done in minutes and the only tools needed are a pair of scissors and a fid. Personally I use a wire fid that I make out of cheap hobby wire. Some slings can take a little longer but dead eye, whoopie, and loopie slings are all very quick and easy to make.
There is a little more time invested in splicing double braid and 16 strand if you'd rather have those slings to resist picking, but with printed out instructions and YouTube videos their not bad either.

Louhut

It’d be a good idea to have a ring on a small adjustable eye like a whoopie, then you could take the ring out whenever you want.

TallTreeClimber

A buntline around an arbor like a ring circle would have a very high strength. Probably close to 100%, because it actually wraps around the arbor and the bend radius is big. I'd bet 87% minimum.