X-ring, ring and ring sling info

Discussion in 'Rigging and Roping' started by Raven27, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Raven27

Raven27 Active Member

I've seen a huge up Rick in the use of the ring sling usage fur rigging, I'm assuming not negative rigging. I have never used them but they appear to be super useful and fast to set up
    I'm thinking of buying this for a first one

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=455&item=9012
    Mybthoughtvwas tp be able to use it both in crotches, and what I'm wondering, can I girth hitch it to a stem /branch in horizontal or vertical application and use it that way too? And if so, what's my weight rating reduction? I'm not looking to load the crap out of it, but decent sized limbs and chunks as I work down.
    Again, I have no experience with these. If this one won't work other than in a crotch, what 2 or 3 ring product will? Thanks again. Love this place.

Dave Rohach likes this.
  2. Dave Rohach

Dave Rohach Well-Known Member

The weight and design are all factors, as are the XRing sizes and the size of the rigging ropes. If you look at the different sizes and designs at any of the Arb Distribution Co's. Such as TreeStuff.com, SherillTree.com, Wesspur.com, to get an idea of what size spar, limb, & application for the appropriate style you need. If this happens to make sense to you. I personally make my own, by calculating the capability of the rope and the X Ring, this determines what I need to order or dig out of my splicing equipment, which is quite extensive. I'm now getting ready to assemble a negative rigging block and sling, TreeStuff actually overnighted the gear I needed, which is quite awesome off them! Needless to say that's a different thread!

Stihlmadd, 96coal449 and arborcareman like this.
  3. Dave Rohach

P.S. the catalog item you posted can be assembled by an experienced splicer for 1/2 the price, depending on size and what you have in your surplus bins.

4. Simpleiowaguy

Simpleiowaguy Well-Known Member

Kind of depends on what you intend to do with it. If I was gonna fork out the cash I would go with this one. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=455&item=15094
    Has two rings on the same end. Can tie it wherever. Don't have to take the rope out of it. Can run a rope through each ring if u need a tag line or are working two spot. Can have super bend radius through both rings or when you have a big rope on big wood. I've negative blocked out of mine.
    Just my 2 cents though

colb, Dave Rohach and arborcareman like this.
  5. Dave Rohach

Yes Sir, that's the 1st item I was trying to describe. The Ring and Ring was the 2nd item that I tried to explain. Thanks for the clarification on everyone's behalf. Then there's the retrievable 3 ring assembly, which is a totally different animal. Bottom line is the weight and application of your finished product.
    Thanks, SimpleIowaGuy for helping me put things into perspective.

6. Simpleiowaguy

I just made one out of 5/8 and love it...... I do love me some omni blocks though when I'm not using rings.

Dave Rohach likes this.
  7. Dave Rohach

Damn Straight! I couldn't be happy without the 2.6. It's the Bomb , on a 3/4" Dead Eye

colb likes this.
  8. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

I'm straight rings and do everything of them, big or small, negative rigging, posititve riding (hah) whatever. as long as the sling is rated for the weight, let it ride. i use that two ring set up you posted @Raven27 although its one i made. real similar. i use it in collaboration with a single ring sling. then when I'm going to be negative rigging a spar, ill take the double rings and make a 6 coil prussic on the single sling.

Attached Files:

9. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

If you consider how and where the rope touches the rings when a sling that's only two rings you can see the bend radius is not the same as three. Three rings are ideal, even when talking the largest size, no matter what brand ring.
    That being said, before I considered this j was doing everything I do off three rings, off of two with no problems. I just changed the habit instead of pushing my rope

hseII likes this.
  10. Z'sTrees

Z'sTrees Well-Known Member

Nice, I like that sling with the prussik.

I built these basically for negative blocking, super light and fast to setup. I spliced a tight eye in a 9/16" line and it passes thru the rings (abr #2). I prefer them to a block for almost everything.
    KIMG0470.jpg

11. Raven27

Raven27 Active Member

I feel confident enough in my splicing to do a tight eye in say stable braid around a ring on each end to have a 2 ring sling. I've spliced a few adjustable slings and put some pretty good loads to them so far.

My intent with these was redirects, light to medium rigging, then go to block on negative rigging , unless I buy a longer 2 or 3 ring sling.
    My reasoning for wanting a ring on each end, then perhaps adding in a 3rd loop ring, was to be able to quickly just girth hitch it to a section of tree where there may not be a crotch, either vertical or semi horizontal ( I could be over thinking it. Lol) I know it's probably not much longer to just tie on one that has 2 or 3 rings already on one end with the appropriate knot as well. I'm just thinking more along the lines of splicing things myself too, save the money, and mire variance of lengths. Hope I make sense.
    Also, best place/ prices on rings no live treestuff, but I'm sure other places have them as well

12. Jehinten

Jehinten Active Member

I don't use rings a lot, but I do have the rigsaver. It is a very versatile tool, and light weight. I do switch it out once I start negative blocking trunk wood, but all brush and static loading of other leaders go through this. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=9062

I also have the thundersling, but I haven't used it enough yet to decide how much I like it.

Dave Rohach likes this.
  13. flyingsquirrel25

flyingsquirrel25 Well-Known Member

I too have a rigsaver that I built. I love that thing for pruning. Set it up, do your work and pull it from the ground. I have not had a chance to play with the Medusa double head sling (only because I haven't figured out the splice yet). I do like the looks of that double ultra sling though... Might force me to get some rope and try to figure it out!!!

96coal449 and Dave Rohach like this.
  14. Raven27

Raven27 Active Member

Ok, I'm confident I can do a tight eye splice in stable braid using Samson class 1 splice and that would give me a ring on each end, say 2 of these rings.
    http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15044
    Or a medium and a large

BUT...what if I want to use tenex tec? I know I can't do a locking brimmed on both ends, and I've read of doing a 4 strand weave ( no clue how, would love a video) Do, what splice do you use to just do a tail bury, similar to a double braid eye splice but without removing a core, to make a nice tight eye around the ring with tenex? Is there a splice Samson has, or someone else that I can follow, or even find a video, guess I just need to know what to look up. Lol

Dave Rohach likes this.
  15. Simpleiowaguy

Could do a mcdonald brummel on the opposing end. Get a couple extra feet in case you have a whoopsy do!

16. Z'sTrees

You can do a locking brummel and work the ring in after the fact. You could make a two ended splice like that. Or you can do a straight bury.

CutHighnLetFly likes this.
  17. Raven27

Raven27 Active Member

That's what I mean, a straight bury splice in tenex, but I don't know how much to bury, and do I just make my eye size , taper my tail, and bury a huge tail?, the more the merrier, and what's minimum, say I use 5/8" tenex, 2 fid bury, 3? Lol

18. Raven27

Raven27 Active Member

I did look up the McDonald brummel, and that appears would still have same issue, can't fit ring through it. I think I'll have to look up or wait for advice on the straight bury for hollow braid like tenex

Dave Rohach likes this.
  19. Simpleiowaguy

@NickfromWI he will have a good answer

20. Z'sTrees

3 fid lengths

CutHighnLetFly and Dave Rohach like this.