WTF?

rico

Yet another so-called pro posting up subpar work, then blocking comments that are less than complimentary. So much for standing behind your work and being willing to have a constructive conversation that might benefit your viewers? Fucking YouTube!!!

So a supposed reputable pro outfit shows up to pull over a couple dead Birch trees, but doesn't have a rope puller or some other system which will deliver a smooth consistent pull. OK then? Instead they rely on a couple dudes standing in the street yanking on the tagline. As the video show these boys didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing. They do a little test pull (9:18-9:40) and you can see that they get very little movement. Despite this the faller say "I think you can do it?" Way to instill some confidence bro. He then cuts a dangerously shallow undercut with a painfully dull saw, and never once sights his undercut or checks it for bypass. What was needed here was a deeper undercut which would of allowed the weight of the tree to get into its undercut earlier, and a more wide open face which would have allow the tree to further commit to its undercut before its hinge started to break. He then starts his back-cut and you can see the tree rocking back and forth (9:38-9:55). This is because the clowns on the tagline are pulling and then allowing slack back into the system. A great fucking way to break your hinge and loose a tree over backward. The poor execution of a poor game plan then forced the faller to leave the stump to help assist in the pulling of this little back-leaning Birch. When the tree begins to go over (11:18- 11:30) you can see the shallow under cut begin to close bringing the tree to a stop. They then pull harder and the undercut completely close up, breaks the remaining hinge, and the tree pulls hard to the right missing the lay of the undercut by many feet. Sheer luck prevented these amateurs from smashing something!

Last edited:

RyTheTreeGuy

Yet another so-called pro posting up subpar work, then blocking comments that are less than complimentary. So much for standing behind your work and being willing to have a constructive conversation that might benefit your viewers? Fucking YouTube!!!

So a supposed reputable pro outfit shows up to pull over a couple dead Birch trees, but doesn't have a rope puller or some other system which will deliver a smooth consistent pull. OK then? Instead they rely on a couple dudes standing in the street yanking on the tagline. As the video show these boys didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing. They do a little test pull (9:18-9:40) and you can see that they get very little movement. Despite this the faller say "I think you can do it?" Way to instill some confidence bro. He then cuts a dangerously shallow undercut with a painfully dull saw, and never once sights his undercut or checks it for bypass. What was needed here was a deeper undercut which would of allowed the weight of the tree to get into its undercut earlier, and a more wide open face which would have allow the tree to further commit to its undercut before its hinge started to break. He then starts his back-cut and you can see the tree rocking back and forth (9:38-9:55). This is because the clowns on the tagline are pulling and then allowing slack back into the system. A great fucking way to break your hinge and loose a tree over backward. The poor execution of a poor game plan then forced the faller to leave the stump to help assist in the pulling of this little back-leaning Birch. When the tree begins to go over (11:18- 11:30) you can see the shallow under cut begin to close bringing the tree to a stop. They then pull harder and the undercut completely close up, breaks the remaining hinge, and the tree pulls hard to the right missing the lay of the undercut by many feet. Sheer luck prevented these amateurs from smashing something!
I learned fairly recently to always back up my pull lines with wedges ever since my Maasdam failed mid pull with a heavy back leaner. If I didnt have the wedges we would have lost it on the house for sure...also instead of running through the hot zone he could have stayed at the stump and just...tap , tap, tapped it home....I am however not a west coast logger and am completely armchair quarterbacking, but I have to believe he skinned this cat with a spoon instead of a knife

Jemco

I've been told my ole buddy Donald gave me an honorable mention on the last page of Arborist's Equipment?

Could be BS tho....

Somethin about pneumatic cannons shootin throwbags into the low stratosphere.....

Jemco

rico

I've been told my ole buddy Donald gave me an honorable mention on the last page of Arborist's Equipment?

Could be BS tho....

Somethin about pneumatic cannons shootin throwbags into the low stratosphere.....

Jemco
Are you telling us you invented the APTA Jemco?

Back in the day we used to make the trip down to the old Sierra Moreno in Mountain View and buy gear. I still have my original old Hobbs from the 1st run. Its seen better days since I ran over it with a skidder, but its been welded back together and functions damn near perfectly. I never knew Don very well but he was always very kind, helpful, and extremely informative. A well deserved legend for sure. Long live the Euc Man!

Jemco

Were APTA's around in 95-96 Rico?

All my pneumatic guns big n small were aluminum, custom made and pressure tested by Greg McMaster himself, of TechMaster Fabricators.

I suspect the one Blair's on about's the big one I sent to John Hendricksen in Chicago. It had a pretty substantial kick launching 16 oz bags, similar to a twelve gauge.

Technically I used CO2 only with my throwbag guns.

And even now my TechMaster trigger mech's far superior to an APTA.

Jemco

Last edited:

rico

Could stuff Jemco. Gawd knows I love my APTA but it has some serious design flaws, with the trigger being the worst offender. It takes a lot of practice, a little deep breathing, and some serious concentration to keep it from pulling hard to the right when firing it. I'm actually shocked that no one has stepped up to manufacture a better version of the APTA.

Jemco

The kick from my guns requires you aim abouta foot below the crotch you want.

A five gallon bucket in front of yu with carefully coiled line it.

Trigger's critical for sure. Greg's floating hollow inertia valve's brilliant.

It has a steel ball in the hollow valve one inch track.

Pressurizing the gun applies air to one side of the steel ball slamming slamming the floating valve shut.

Squeezing the trigger applies air to the other side of the steel ball slamming the floating valve wide open into the barrel.

Very smooth trigger mech, quite ingenious, kudos to Greg McMaster!

May he RIP.

Jemcoimage.jpeg

Last edited:

rico

I learned fairly recently to always back up my pull lines with wedges ever since my Maasdam failed mid pull with a heavy back leaner. If I didnt have the wedges we would have lost it on the house for sure...also instead of running through the hot zone he could have stayed at the stump and just...tap , tap, tapped it home....I am however not a west coast logger and am completely armchair quarterbacking, but I have to believe he skinned this cat with a spoon instead of a knife
Speaking of a dull spoon could someone please show these folks how to sharpen a saw or sight their fucking undercuts? Jeezus!!!

Watch the gawd awful cutting skills on display while topping this tree (14:00-16:15). A dull saw, multiple inches of bypass on the climbers side, never sighted or cleaned up his undercut, and the inevitable saw snatch that resulted form this gawd awful cut. If that weren't enough we all get to witness a so called pro miss his lay by 6-8 ft while falling the spar (25:50). Nothing like blowing up some valuable backyard board footage because you can't handle your business. .

The cutting skills displayed by some of the YouTube Arb Stars is truly stunning.

owScott

Are you telling us you invented the APTA Jemco?

Back in the day we used to make the trip down to the old Sierra Moreno in Mountain View and buy gear. I still have my original old Hobbs from the 1st run. Its seen better days since I ran over it with a skidder, but its been welded back together and functions damn near perfectly. I never knew Don very well but he was always very kind, helpful, and extremely informative. A well deserved legend for sure. Long live the Euc Man!
Damn rico Sierra Moreno haven't heard that in forever. I still have a custom harness from them from 20 years ago. Built is suspenders. Don't wear it any more just keep it around for memories. Thanks for the flashback

evo

Damn rico Sierra Moreno haven't heard that in forever. I still have a custom harness from them from 20 years ago. Built is suspenders. Don't wear it any more just keep it around for memories. Thanks for the flashback
I learned how to climb on the last version of their floating bridge saddle. Still got it hanging up in the shop. Heard many stories of folks walking in the door and having custom made 3-4 strand wire core flip lines made up while they waited in house.

Yes, I have the first print of Don’s book.

When I’ve stumbled across this channel I can’t help but wonder if it’s the same family.. every generation has a pancake kid

rico

Fuck, I think I might be a pancake boy? My family treated me like their own little crash dummy repeatedly exposing me to extremely dangerous situation to make sure that it was safe for the other more valuable family members to proceed. Growing up in a pool of fear, stress, and cortisol is no joke, and the experience left deep psychological scars on my developing little brain that clearly have not healed to this day. I sure hope there is some sort of Pancake Boy Support Group because I could use a little fucking HELP here!

ADDENDUM- I just discovered that there is in fact a Pancake Boy Support Group in my area that meets every Saturday morning at the local IHOP. Thank you Jeezus

Last edited:

climbstihl

Fuck, I think I might be a pancake boy? My family treated me like their own little crash dummy repeatedly exposing me to extremely dangerous situation to make sure that it was safe for the other more valuable family members to proceed. Growing up in a pool of fear, stress, and cortisol is no joke, and the experience left deep psychological scars on my developing little brain that clearly have not healed to this day. I sure hope there is some sort of Pancake Boy Support Group because I could use a little fucking HELP here!
Just take a maple syrup shower, that'll make it better.

southsoundtree

A bunch of guys involved in one person's work gets bad quickly.

Any time you want to overcomplicate things, bring in unnecessary people instead of proper tools.

Rico, you have to understand that most people have never learned one of the most basic skills,to beat over a tree. Pull ropes are great tools at times, but people rely on them them because of being poor fellers without experience.

When I trained green-as-can-be college-kids for Americorps (thousands have gone through the training over the years, I'd guess, I only trained dozens), Nobody passes without a clean felling notch and beating over a tree. Almost everyone passes because it's not rocket science, basic physics.

Anybody who wants to be good at felling, but works in tight spaces and thinks the hinge will fail (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) simply need to put in a pull rope as back-up and use the hinge like a hinge.

A skidder would pull that tree right over, no notch, but is that desirable?

Nothing I like about a rigging line that has been beat between the falling spar and who knows what, to then later dangle something overhead. I generally will use an old, old beater rope for pull-overs. Nothing I'd use to protect my life (lots of guys use their climbing line).

Pull trees are commonly so hard to pull because people think they need to leave WAY too much hinge (anyone we can think of, here???), or don't judge the weight of the spar correctly (mostly all the weight is sitting on the roots).