WTCW TX and woman-friendly saddle

Discussion in 'WOTT- Women Of The Trees' started by climbhightree, Sep 26, 2017.

1. climbhightree

climbhightree Well-Known Member

Hi! I am hacking my husband's account for this post ;).

For the last five years I have been part of my husband's buiness on the office-end of things (returning calls/e-mails, scheduling, invoicing/bookkeeping, etc.), and often will go with him for proposal appointments, etc. This past summer I have found myself on the job site daily as his "groundie" as he climbs due to some employee issues (previously I was a teacher and did not go back to teaching this fall). We are currently looking for a new employee (or two), and have had some interest in the position, but once they find out it is a physically-demanding job that works year round in almost all weather conditions and being drug free is a requirement, they lose interest :(. We even had one guy work for us for two days and then quit because it was "too hard"!

We do have a guy set up to start with us in January my husband hopes to train as a climber, as he (my husband) is getting older and climbing every day is getting a bit more challenging in his "old age" (haha). We would also ideally hope to find another person so my husband doesn't have to be on job sites 100% of the time - but, finding good employees we trust alone seems to be a challenge. High hopes for the guy starting in January, though!

My husband also has done several "cat rescues" at my urging, and he often threatens to make me be the one to climb up and rescue them. I have climbed three times - once to get engaged (approx. 80' - he was allegedly "teaching me to climb", and at 25' when I told him I was good, he made me keep going!), once at our house for him to make a video, and once this summer to get a storm damage limb that was hanging at a local college we do a lot of work for (he had injured his knee and I didn't want him climbing on it that day as it was supposed to be his last day resting it before going back to climbing full-time). I do have an interest in the science behind arboriculture (again, I was a science teacher and really like biology, environmental science, etc.) and although I don't want to climb full-time, I think it would be a good skill to have to help out when needed, etc. So, this brings me to my two questions/things I am seeking opinions and thoughts on:

1) The times that I have climbed, I used a saddle my husband had...that was a bit big for me. I am 5'6" and weigh 120 lbs +/-, with an approx. 27" waist (right above my belly-button). He has two saddles in mind for me - the Notch Sentinel and the Tree Motion Light. In doing my own research, I did see the previous thread on this board about saddles for woman and have read those posts, and the Tree Motion was discussed there. My concern with the Tree Motion Light is the specs say "one size fits most" with a waist of 30"-39". Has anyone of my size tried the Tree Motion Light and found it was too big, or did it fit? I really don't want it to ride up and be uncomfortable. What about the Notch Sentinel? Their size 1 has a waist of 28"-36", so on the outset it looks like it may be a better fit. Any thoughts on a woman using the Notch Sentinel?

2) In reading the previous post here about saddles for women, I learned about the Woman Tree Climbing Workshop. I live in PA, so the MA one would have been more ideal for me as I could have driven to it, but I found out about it this past Friday (the first day of it, coincidentally), and I saw it did fill very quickly anyway. So, I am considering attending the one to be held in November in Texas. I have some concerns as I will need to fly and rent a car (although it is close to Waco and I could visit Chip and Joanna Gaines' Magnolia Market if I added an extra day to the trip on my own!), and I also have two other things on my calendar for that weekend already (one of which is Penn State's Ag Alumni tailgating weekend, which, as a Penn State Ag Alumnus, I was really looking forward to attending this year with other ag alumni friends :asadito:).

So, thoughts/opinions on saddles and whether or not the WTCW in TX would be worthwhile for me?

Thanks so much!
    ~Julie

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

Look at New Tribe harnesses. Give them a call...you're likely to talk directly with one of the designers

1saddleguy and climbhightree like this.
  3. climbhightree

Thanks Tom! My husband's initial thought about New Tribe is that they have some decent saddles but his opinion (which could be wrong) is that most of them are geared more towards rec climbing. He was looking at the Monkey Beaver as well for me, as he feels it is robust and set up for heavy duty tree work, and he says that if it was offered without all of the patches/badges it might then also be in the running as a possible option for me.

4. joezilla11

joezilla11 Active Member

The treemotion is designed to sit lower on your hips, not high above your belly button. So I’d take that into consideration as far as sizing goes.

climbhightree likes this.
  5. climbhightree

Thanks! That makes me feel better, as the Tree Motion was probably the top contender, minus the big question I had about sizing. I thought it odd they use the "waist" measurement, as "waist" is typically considred the area between the tops of your hips and below your ribs (at least for woman and sizing/measurement-wise), which ends up being about belly-button height, and I certainly don't want a saddle sitting high near my belly-button. If I measure around the top of my hips where I think a saddle should sit, that is between 30"-31" for me.

6. climbhightree

New Tribe Onyx is now a top contender after some additional research and discussion :)

1saddleguy likes this.
  7. evo

evo Well-Known Member

I have a friend in the next town over, and she bought the TM light. She loves is but hates the lack of buckles, saying it's hard to pull up past her hips. Keep that in mind when shopping. Perhaps measure the widest part of your hips to make sure the webbing will expand far enough

8. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Active Member

I got my gf to fit in the small onyx really well and she has similar measurements. There is a lot to adjust so it conforms well to different bodies. Onyx is a black beauty and well equipped to work in.

1saddleguy likes this.
  9. roxy

roxy Active Member

Julie, I second others' advice about checking out the NT ONYX. New Tribe contributed an ONYX and a MONKEY BEAVER to the 2016 WTCW. We were able to give direct feedback to the designer and my main advice was to make the whole geometry smaller...and I know there's always new stuff in the works. So, give them a call and see if you can't work something out. By the way, if you attend the WTCW in Austin, don't buy a harness until after that. You'll be able to try on and climb in all these. Before you buy. Hope to see you there! Rebecca

1saddleguy likes this.
  10. 1saddleguy

1saddleguy Member

Hi Julie,
    New Tribe donated an Onyx harness to the WTCW in MA. It has some updated features which I believe make it more comfortable by keeping it lower on your waist. When the butt straps and the swing strap are adjusted right it can not ride up.
    In addition, we made the adjustments to those straps easier and can be adjusted on rope. They now perform the same function but in a way that does not use the gear rings and frees them up for more gear storage.
    So besides being the most beautiful harness out there, the design is the best it has ever been. If you have any questions feel free to call me.
    Casey

Tom Dunlap and chiselbit like this.