Would anyone (paging Mr. Mumford) want to test some cheap rope that I bought online?

TallTreeClimber

I bought 600' of 1/2" polyester rope online. I bought it from Continental Western Corporation and it says it is rated 7425lbs. I have my doubts.

15478476902915745077300214943311.jpg

How much of it would you need to test? I plan on using it for getting up and down a long steep hill, and for some light rigging on a pine tree that fell into my Walnut tree.

It feels really soft and pliable. It's a little fuzzy too. Really fine strands.

@yoyoman

Last edited:

TallTreeClimber

20190121_130941.jpg

I'm pretty surprised that nobody has any comments on this. Surely there are some rope experts with some rope knowledge and insight?

Jehinten

I bought 600' of 1/2" polyester rope online. I bought it from Continental Western Corporation and it says it is rated 7425lbs. I have my doubts.

View attachment 56852

How much of it would you need to test? I plan on using it for getting up and down a long steep hill, and for some light rigging on a pine tree that fell into my Walnut tree.

It feels really soft and pliable. It's a little fuzzy too. Really fine strands.

@yoyoman
If yoyoman or anyone else cannot help you out, treestuff does offer break testing as a service. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=298&item=3660

Brocky

With twin cores it must be made for a special application. It doesn’t look like there is any coating, so might snag easily. The green tracer strand looks more like string, not like the other strands. Marlow makes a rope with twin cores, here’s their explaination of its use
C8AE8B02-C69E-4656-8D17-FE8761B2F185.png

Jimmycrackcorn

With twin cores it must be made for a special application. It doesn’t look like there is any coating, so might snag easily. The green tracer strand looks more like string, not like the other strands. Marlow makes a rope with twin cores, here’s their explaination of its use
View attachment 56950
Does Marlow make them like that though? I always thought the twin core Cordage's were inside each other, instead of side by side like this CWC cordage.

I know Gleistein makes a cordage called Roller Twin.. & it has two cores within it, called an "intermediate" core.

I've never seen them Side by Side like that, definatley an interesting approach. Good/Bad though, i have no clue.

Jimmycrackcorn

Best thing might be to try to keep it off the ground and attach it to trees somewhat like a Via Ferrata system.

Here’s the twin core Marlow rope.
View attachment 57034
Ahhhh yes, remember seeing that gemini Cordage before..

Via ferrata- thats what i originally Invisioned when the OP explained his needs. Idk, seems like it would work better like that with a few redirects or anchors along the way, would probably be less slop in the line too. But more so keep everything off the ground..

Nugreen arborist supplies will test your stuff for free if you send it to them. Ask for Marten
What's up Stan?
Nugreen.. aren't they in the UK or something.. why am i under that impression?

Brocky

They’re in Vancouver, and charge $26.47 per test. Which is probably reasonable considering it’s done by the Dark Arts Splicing. Money or a bit of your soul is acceptable.

InTheTree

Nugreen arborist supplies will test your stuff for free if you send it to them. Ask for Marten
Stan good to know of some other retailers so I checked there site. They have a bunch of sherrilltree tree products, (notch) so I was wondering if there related?

CanadianStan

Stan good to know of some other retailers so I checked there site. They have a bunch of sherrilltree tree products, (notch) so I was wondering if there related?
They definitely have notch products. It’s a stand-alone business though, owned entirely by a local couple. They also stock petzl, Dmm, ISC, husqvarna, etc

TallTreeClimber

If yoyoman or anyone else cannot help you out, treestuff does offer break testing as a service. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=298&item=3660
Well this has turned out to be a big waste of time and money so far.

I sent the rope in a certified mailer to the address listed for the guy in NC who does this for Treestuff and it's been a couple weeks so far and Treestuff is acting like they thought that the service was discontinued due to difficulty dealing with this guy who does the testing. I sent a letter with the rope with my phone number and my email, and still no one has given me any information, any email, and call, I guess I'm out the money I spent on postage and the 20' of rope that I sent. Treestuff will surely refund my test payment. I just want a friggin test already.

RBJtree

Well this has turned out to be a big waste of time and money so far.

I sent the rope in a certified mailer to the address listed for the guy in NC who does this for Treestuff and it's been a couple weeks so far and Treestuff is acting like they thought that the service was discontinued due to difficulty dealing with this guy who does the testing. I sent a letter with the rope with my phone number and my email, and still no one has given me any information, any email, and call, I guess I'm out the money I spent on postage and the 20' of rope that I sent. Treestuff will surely refund my test payment. I just want a friggin test already.
That sucks!