working the tree SRT

JTree

View attachment 30990 View attachment 30991 I have a small throwbag/launcher that I use while I'm in the tree for setting redis or advancing my rope. Having a short rope along to use instead of your tail is another way to keep a vertical climbing rope when you're working trees like the gutted/lion's tailed silver maple.
I remember seeing that launcher somewhere but couldn't remember where! Dude, what is that hook in the end made of? Any particular technique to get the knots tight enough to hold it in place?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
The hook is cut from a key chain biner. The back spine and the hook from the top.

I use throwline with constrictor knots tightened securely. I might have used some adhesive inside the Big Shot tubing too, I can't recall.

oceans

Tom and Mac how are you retrieving the throwball on a redirect? Polesaw or one of the extendo things?
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm going to chime in since it relates to your first post that began the thread.

Setting a redirect "ahead" of you in perhaps the most powerful trick to learn to get the most out of SRWP. Hopefully I can explain well enough. It is something I do in almost every single climb. The technique will require abandoning some traditional thought, and remembering that 1:1 ascent will be your best friend.

It will require you to set up your climb line with the eye splice at your tail, which is better than a stopper knot anyway, IMO. From whatever height you are at that allows you the best throw to your desired redirect, pull up you rope tail to the bitter end and set a throwbag onto the eye splice. Throw the tail through the desired redirect and allow the weight to run the line downward through the branch union. Allow it to run down far enough that you can descend to a safe point at which you can swing over and grab it. Lanyard in and disconnect your system from the rope. Pull down on your tail until the redirect comes tight and reconnect your system on the line. You are now ready to climb on your new redirect.

I hope this helps. It is a valuable technique, and one that will become quicker for you the more often it's put into play. It can surely be a game changer.

As far as being against the spar while ascending, just work on using the foot ascender and the "free" foot to fend off and control as you work upward. Grippy gloves will help like you've never imagined for reducing fatigue in SRWP. You will thank yourself 20 years from now when you can still sign your name with a pen.

Best of luck. :)

gmcttr

I prefer to be against the trunk while ascending SRT. Having my toes against the trunk helps to keep me upright and takes much of the load of staying upright off my arms. This may not make as much difference for you skinny guys.

mattbever

The last 6-7 months i have been rocking a 200' double spliced kernmaster. Wrench on one end, hitch climber system ddrt on the other. Ive found it makes those lions tailed trees a little easier. Returning from sketchy limb walks and traverse climbing seems better too. No need to carry a long lanyard either as the tail system is ready to go and gets tied on for a weight below the foot ascender. It requires a bit of patience as you learn to manage the extra rope at first. Ive also been playing with attaching a shorter line midline to toss though redirects while at the top in very large spreading trees, similar to the tripple threat.

CutHighnLetFly

im with oceans about the redirects, thats been a great move for me since hes mentioned this before.

TC, i use a neck tether, but i imagine a chest tether thing (swingdude harness, if youve seen one, or maybe someone can post a pic of one) is just as easy. for short ascents, it takes about two seconds to put the rope in a foot ascender, clip my hitch/device to my tether, and just take the necessary three or four steps.

for me, when reading this suggestion when i had asked a similar question, it seemed like more than i wanted to deal with, compared to ddrt. but after just committing to it, i realized its really fast and easy. just part of the climb now, not the expected added hassle.

in regards to limb walking and 3:1 set ups, i have to improve my balance a little to get back at SRT limb walks. that being said, once my rope angle gets really wide at my TIP, and if i dont feel the need for a redirect/ dont have a spot available, i bust out the 3:1. thimble prussic with a biner, sometimes add a pulley. OR, 4 wraps around an HMS style carabiner while you line is slack, then put the line under your hitch thru the biner. this is actually a RETRIEVABLE 3:1.

and with removals, if im tip tying, its nice to have the fast and easy way up and down. but i use a two hand ascender because i dont really like the haas much during removals, alhtough one can make it work just fine. the foot ascender / spike combo is just like the haas, its not about blasting up the tree like a wild animal, cause then, yeah, your at risk of poking yourself. but on a fast controlled ascent, paying attention to what your feet are doing, your good.my spikes' sole purpose as became a work positioning tool, as opposed to a means of getting up and around the tree.

JTree

im with oceans about the redirects, thats been a great move for me since hes mentioned this before.

TC, i use a neck tether, but i imagine a chest tether thing (swingdude harness, if youve seen one, or maybe someone can post a pic of one) is just as easy. for short ascents, it takes about two seconds to put the rope in a foot ascender, clip my hitch/device to my tether, and just take the necessary three or four steps.

for me, when reading this suggestion when i had asked a similar question, it seemed like more than i wanted to deal with, compared to ddrt. but after just committing to it, i realized its really fast and easy. just part of the climb now, not the expected added hassle.

in regards to limb walking and 3:1 set ups, i have to improve my balance a little to get back at SRT limb walks. that being said, once my rope angle gets really wide at my TIP, and if i dont feel the need for a redirect/ dont have a spot available, i bust out the 3:1. thimble prussic with a biner, sometimes add a pulley. OR, 4 wraps around an HMS style carabiner while you line is slack, then put the line under your hitch thru the biner. this is actually a RETRIEVABLE 3:1.

and with removals, if im tip tying, its nice to have the fast and easy way up and down. but i use a two hand ascender because i dont really like the haas much during removals, alhtough one can make it work just fine. the foot ascender / spike combo is just like the haas, its not about blasting up the tree like a wild animal, cause then, yeah, your at risk of poking yourself. but on a fast controlled ascent, paying attention to what your feet are doing, your good.my spikes' sole purpose as became a work positioning tool, as opposed to a means of getting up and around the tree.
I'm trying to visualize what you are talking about re: the retrievable 3:1, but I'm having a hard time seeing it. Anyway you could take a picture or draw an illustration?

CutHighnLetFly

yeah JT ill try to remember to take a pic tomorrow. i should make a video of it in action cause its hard to explain. Another one stole from Oceans so maybe he already has a picture or video.
Picture taking a Petzl William 'biner and, while your climbing line is unloaded, take 4 wraps around the spine of the 'biner above your system. when you load your climbing line, the wrap lock the carabiner in place. then take your tail end of your line, put in the 'biner, and repel down and do work.
say your done with what your doing then want to go back up 1:1. you unload your climbing line (lanyard in somewhere), hold one leg of the rope and pull on the other two while your (wont bother trying to explain what you hold and what you pull), and you can slide the carabiner down the line back to yourself.

....ill still get a pic up just incase

JTree

Thanks man. I think I understand, but I'll have to see a vid or do some playing around before it comes together.

Treetopflyer

yeah JT ill try to remember to take a pic tomorrow. i should make a video of it in action cause its hard to explain. Another one stole from Oceans so maybe he already has a picture or video.
Picture taking a Petzl William 'biner and, while your climbing line is unloaded, take 4 wraps around the spine of the 'biner above your system. when you load your climbing line, the wrap lock the carabiner in place. then take your tail end of your line, put in the 'biner, and repel down and do work.
say your done with what your doing then want to go back up 1:1. you unload your climbing line (lanyard in somewhere), hold one leg of the rope and pull on the other two while your (wont bother trying to explain what you hold and what you pull), and you can slide the carabiner down the line back to yourself.

....ill still get a pic up just incase
That's a good with the biner. Here's one I've been toying with that doesn't require the line to be slacked or unloaded and is midline attachable as well. No retrieval ball necessary as long as tail has eye splice .

Attachments