working near max reach

pctree

Heres another technique we use, were ball was attached we were only good for 1100# so we notched it up and stood her up. where it ended up we were good for 2200 and limb was 1700

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eYb0LMcPGwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know a funny thing about standing up leads like that, often times right at the end of the lift when the piece is vertical you can see zero load on the crane. Now think about that, we have put a notch in top of lead, fat notch obviously and undercut it and lifted so bent all of those hinge fibers 90 degrees but they will still support thousands of pounds. Best not to over think stuff when you are doing it, we just know from experience that it works. Problem with crane work is mistakes tend to be big.....

We are constantly pushing the envelope with tiny baby steps

christreez

Yup we stand up all the time. some times we stand sometimes I just turn a piece 90 degrees right or left to get it closer b4 I take full weight. if you need to stand or turn a piece and you are worried about it breaking off and going all kinda crazy throw a rope on the butt just incase it drops off that way the crane don't get shook too bad

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

craneguy1

It is a technique...lifting cut...back in the day happened all the time...cranes get bigger, radius gets longer...now we are full circle; just a lot farther away. Stay safe. Also helps when you know how the guy works...

dbl612

Heres another technique we use, were ball was attached we were only good for 1100# so we notched it up and stood her up. where it ended up we were good for 2200 and limb was 1700

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eYb0LMcPGwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know a funny thing about standing up leads like that, often times right at the end of the lift when the piece is vertical you can see zero load on the crane. Now think about that, we have put a notch in top of lead, fat notch obviously and undercut it and lifted so bent all of those hinge fibers 90 degrees but they will still support thousands of pounds. Best not to over think stuff when you are doing it, we just know from experience that it works. Problem with crane work is mistakes tend to be big.....

We are constantly pushing the envelope with tiny baby steps
why not butt tie the piece, make the cut, then pick the piece. climber controls the fall, no shock load to crane?

dbl612

If you can safely stand the piece up with out shock loading the crane why would you want to shock load the tree and send debris flying?
i agree, but they were talking about working near the limits of the crane. i would rather shock load the tree than the crane. (actually, not wanting to shock load either)