Work pants for treework

Treetopflyer

@marlinspiker I just ordered two pair of these. Thanks for the post. I will give some feedback on how they work out for me. I paid $25 a pair. Still less than 1/4 of the price of Arborwear. I had planned to order a pair of Arborwear Canopy pants but everywhere I looked was saying out of stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any feedback yet?

ClimbMIT

Any feedback yet?
I have been climbing in the flexwaist pants from Wrangler for several weeks now. The size I purchased is the 32 by 30’s in the coal color. Looks very much like the Charcoal Arborwear Canopy pants which is also 32 by 30’s. When I first picked them up I noticed how soft the material is. This is nice for comfort but I do not see them lasting anywhere near as long as the Arborwear Canopy pants will last. The flexwaist from Wrangler are straight/slim fit pant that will stretch since they are 4%spandex. The other 96% is nylon. The fact that they’re somewhat tight fitting makes them a bit warmer than the Arborwear at times. The pockets on these pants sit way low and it’s easy to drop things out of them. On my Arborwear I can use the side cargo pocket for my phone without interfering with my leg straps from my TM. Wrangler’s pockets are rendered useless with my harness on as they all sit lower on the pants. I personally like them for style more than climbing. I would still choose the Wrangler’s over jeans for climbing. They stretch nicely but not without a little effort. Double gusset crouch on Arborwear Canopies are much easier to maneuver in. They are great for working the ground or throwing on a Polo to go give an estimate. They are pretty good for climbing although I don’t see them lasting as long as the Arborwear which is understandable considering the price point. They also seem to be somewhat fading already after about 15 washes. I like the style more than the I like them for climbing. Time will tell of longevity of this pants.

BRT

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. Me, I frequent the many local thrift stores. Here in Norfolk, VA and the surrounding cities, there are many, many thrift stores. Jeans are no good for hard/hot work....so, I find at any given store, I can pick up 4-6 pairs of casual dress pants in my size (34/30) per visit. At $2.99~$3.99 per pair, if they rip after 3 months of wear, I throw them away and find more. In the closet, I have excellent pants from Gap, Dockers, St. John's Bay, etc. A few months ago I ran across and awesome pair of Calvin Klein grey charcoal pants that are super thin, stretchy, and a perfect fit--I believe those were $4.99. Two weeks ago, I happened across a pair of Izod golf slacks--Awesome climbing pants--$3.99. Found a pair on another recent trip; Polo/Ralph Lauren in my size with the manuf. tag still attached! Won't work for everybody: 1) I think only the bigger metrops. will have a nice, newer selection 2) it takes a little more search time than an online purchase 3) you have to be a somewhat "average" size 4) I sometimes settle for 1/2 size difference in waist or inseam

The Pros are:
1) Pennies on the dollar compared to buying climbing pants
2) If you don't like them after a few wears--toss them and find another pair
3) When you show up at the jobsite, you'll be the sharpest dressed climber the customer's money can buy.
4) Your closet will offer variety for different work days and different work challenges

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Good heavens....arbs are freakin cheap...pants to climb in are so important....I spend a lot on pants but they last. I buy 2 pairs of pfanner stretch air globes from treekit UK at a time. Medium with xLong length. They last 2 years easy. I pay 600US for the two pairs includes shipping and duties to Barbados. Most comfortable pants that fit me perfect. I must own 9 pairs in different condition..brand new to beat up....beat up can still wear....boots and pants I never go cheap.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I do a lot of pruning so I need stretchy pants to get out to those branch tips....to make those cuts....like spiderman....these are the shit for me...on removals I have pfanner gladiator non chainsaw I use...tougher material in the front....2018-05-28 08.42.07.jpg

ClimbMIT

I still love my Arborwear Canopy pants. I have had a pair for two years now and wear them every other day practically. They still look new despite the logo has faded and a dab of paint near my ankle. Some dumbass dumped paint near a tree I was removing last year! Arborwear breath better than the Wrangler’s.

ClimbMIT

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. Me, I frequent the many local thrift stores. Here in Norfolk, VA and the surrounding cities, there are many, many thrift stores. Jeans are no good for hard/hot work....so, I find at any given store, I can pick up 4-6 pairs of casual dress pants in my size (34/30) per visit. At $2.99~$3.99 per pair, if they rip after 3 months of wear, I throw them away and find more. In the closet, I have excellent pants from Gap, Dockers, St. John's Bay, etc. A few months ago I ran across and awesome pair of Calvin Klein grey charcoal pants that are super thin, stretchy, and a perfect fit--I believe those were $4.99. Two weeks ago, I happened across a pair of Izod golf slacks--Awesome climbing pants--$3.99. Found a pair on another recent trip; Polo/Ralph Lauren in my size with the manuf. tag still attached! Won't work for everybody: 1) I think only the bigger metrops. will have a nice, newer selection 2) it takes a little more search time than an online purchase 3) you have to be a somewhat "average" size 4) I sometimes settle for 1/2 size difference in waist or inseam

The Pros are:
1) Pennies on the dollar compared to buying climbing pants
2) If you don't like them after a few wears--toss them and find another pair
3) When you show up at the jobsite, you'll be the sharpest dressed climber the customer's money can buy.
4) Your closet will offer variety for different work days and different work challenges
Nothing wrong with that! I like Calvin Klein products. Stylish and very comfortable

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Costco sells Union Bay UB Tech Men's Travel Chinos from time to time for $20 a pair. Other retailers sell them as well. They're They're constructed out of wicking fabrics, wear like iron and stretch in all the right places. They work really well for climbing, as well as field work, and with a polo shirt and a sport coat, are presentable for meetings and after hours events.

pigwot

Looking at the T2 Werkpants, but wish they had a lighter color and seven belt loops.

My all-time favorites have been the first generation of Arborwear Tech Pants, the non-cargo-pant version. Early on the sizing was off, and consequently a whole lot of them ended up at Sierra Trading Post. I bought four pair of my size (two of 34W-34L for summer and two of 36w-34L for winter to fit base layer) for about half the going cost at the time, and they are still rolling after almost ten years.

Three of the four pair have holes in the knees now; all are paint splattered since I rebuilt a house and wore them daily in rotation over the two years project, a couple have small holes from being lazy when grabbing the welder for a short bead, and one pair is missing the back left pocket, as I cut it off to apply as a patch on another pair.

If I could find more of them I'd buy them again. The material has been bulletproof, and in my opinion is better than the Tech Pant II material (I bought one pair of those when they came out and had holes through the first of the two knee layers in under a year), the fit for me is better (seems the Tech Pant II's are sloppy wide if you're a skinny build).

Anyone have any 34-34, 36-34, or even 34-32 or 36-32 original Arborwear Tech Pants just sitting in a drawer? I'll gladly pay you for them!

Steve Connally

Looking at the T2 Werkpants, but wish they had a lighter color and seven belt loops.

My all-time favorites have been the first generation of Arborwear Tech Pants, the non-cargo-pant version. Early on the sizing was off, and consequently a whole lot of them ended up at Sierra Trading Post. I bought four pair of my size (two of 34W-34L for summer and two of 36w-34L for winter to fit base layer) for about half the going cost at the time, and they are still rolling after almost ten years.

Three of the four pair have holes in the knees now; all are paint splattered since I rebuilt a house and wore them daily in rotation over the two years project, a couple have small holes from being lazy when grabbing the welder for a short bead, and one pair is missing the back left pocket, as I cut it off to apply as a patch on another pair.

If I could find more of them I'd buy them again. The material has been bulletproof, and in my opinion is better than the Tech Pant II material (I bought one pair of those when they came out and had holes through the first of the two knee layers in under a year), the fit for me is better (seems the Tech Pant II's are sloppy wide if you're a skinny build).

Anyone have any 34-34, 36-34, or even 34-32 or 36-32 original Arborwear Tech Pants just sitting in a drawer? I'll gladly pay you for them!
I have a bunch. 36-34 I have the original tan ones and several of the black/gray ones. What ones do you want. They are all in pretty darn good condition. I just lost a ton of weight and they fall off me.

oldoakman

Pigwot, I had the same issue with the T-2 pnats and 5 belt loops. Sent an email to them about that and their current product run will have 7 loops. Should be available by Oct or Nov according to the response I got. I love my T-2's!

Last edited:

southsoundtree

Back to AW Tech pants, my fav.

I tend to wear these Hard, and get wear like iron. The crotch stitching could be reinforced a bit, as that's the weak point for me. Tougher rear pockets for wedges would suit me fine. Obviously, wedge pouches are tough for a reason, and a purpose-built, stand-alone, item.

The Canopy Pants are another one I had, IIRC. https://www.arborwear.com/products/pants/canopy-pants

Spendier, more comfy and stretchy, not as tough. Over a while, probably a long while of heavy use, they lost their shape (still comfortable as all get-out), never tore or blew out a major seam. The rear pockets stitching is exposed, so enough wear and tear and the pockets blow, in conjunction with putting wedges with rough tips in the rear pockets, and overloading. Tougher pockets.

When the Tech pants last so long, the velcro on the pockets starts to fail.

All said, I still buy Tech pants. I downgrade them to home use over a long time, as they last so long and fit me well, as the stains on the front and little frays from a climbing saw on the right-side lower leg start to show, and I'm the first and main face of the company.

I've bought tech pants for employees before. Pants are worth the money. Matching pants and matching hi-viz jackets/ shirts/ gear, though not company-branded, work well enough for my micro-op.

Crimsonking

My work pants have always been Arborwear. First, originals then Tech Pants from prototypes to production. I've got some TPs that have at least ten years of full time production use. Then +5 years part time. They are paint spattered with a few small holes. Still look good enough for work and shop pants. Since I'm not climbing full time the family disease is settling in. I've gone from 34 to 36 waist cuz of Done Lap's disease haha.

AW all the way.

Are you requiring cotton for some reason? The cotton/synthetic discussion is as old as the one-handed chainsaw use...and as contentious Synthetics and two hands for me. Except in rare uses...welding is one
I don’t have anything meaningful to contribute, just wanted to point out how funny it was for you, Tom, to speak of “done-lap”, or “Dunlap” disease.