Work pants for treework

Bit of a low tech post, but has anyone come across any really good cotton drill work pants for their employees that dont rip easily? Or tear seams when you try to step up into a truck when soaking wet? or tear holes easily when picked by dead branches?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
My work pants have always been Arborwear. First, originals then Tech Pants from prototypes to production. I've got some TPs that have at least ten years of full time production use. Then +5 years part time. They are paint spattered with a few small holes. Still look good enough for work and shop pants. Since I'm not climbing full time the family disease is settling in. I've gone from 34 to 36 waist cuz of Done Lap's disease haha.

AW all the way.

Are you requiring cotton for some reason? The cotton/synthetic discussion is as old as the one-handed chainsaw use...and as contentious Synthetics and two hands for me. Except in rare uses...welding is one

oldoakman

My main gripe.with Aw is they don't have my size. Surely I am not the only XXL person in the world.doing tree work??!! I have had person to person discussions with Bill about this issue. I need more plus sized tree folks to shame him into providing a selection of pants for.us.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
For those that use Arborwear pants in hot places like Southern States - how do they perform in the hot weather?

Great!

There is the heat transfer and wicking ability of synthetics that work so well. Go into the Articles section and read my article Cold Weather Comfort.

UnderArmor has made wheelbarrows full of money convincing consumers that their materials are the only ones that work. Pffft...Helly Hanson has been on the scene for a lot longer.

To understand performance fabrics you'll need to read up on evaporation cooling and heat transfer.

I did treework in Austin TX for three summers. Each summer had over 90 consecutive days of +100*F temps. On the rare day that I wore cotton jeans I felt awful on my drive home because my body hadn't stayed cooler. Next day...same conditions...and I felt a lot better. Repeat for three summers.

Magnum783

My main gripe.with Aw is they don't have my size. Surely I am not the only XXL person in the world.doing tree work??!! I have had person to person discussions with Bill about this issue. I need more plus sized tree folks to shame him into providing a selection of pants for.us.
I have had the same discussion as far as talls go. What I have found if you contact the corporate side as in the part that deals with business you will find there is a little bit larger selection on that side of AW. Now arbortec was super upstanding and sent me a pair of pants to try just to try to get something to fit my large self. The fit was not great but functional. Waiting to try a pair of cloggers but expect the same thing. AW has saw pants coming in what I call normal pant sizes not L and XL and so on. Just my two cents

fall_risk

I also like the Arborwear tech pants and Prana. Mountain Hardware, Carhart, and Duluth have some nice pants too. Duluth also has some great hot weather panties which is a big part of the equation for me. On the cheaper tip, decent hot weather pants are available from Cintas and Red Kap. I had a pair of great climbing pants from SIP that were awesome in hot weather, but they were like $200 so I could only justify one pair...they got used almost every day, so they wore out pretty fast, about a year. I've handled the Clogger Spiders, and they seem pretty analogous to the SIPs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk