Work during small game hunting season

colb

Anybody have to work in hunting territory during small game hunting season? Do you just wear lots of orange or is it more nuanced? This is Florida state lands, but I very much welcome the general knowledge of folks in other states.

@Steve Connally Steve, I know you know the answer to this man.

In Louisiana anyway, everybody on public hunting land is required to wear a min of 400? square inches of hunter orange during an firearm hunting season (not 100% sure if archery only seasons are exempt for non-hunters). Good idea though even if not required by law.

Steve Connally

Thats funny. I really don't. If I was a logger walking through estimating a timer tract I'd be worried. Maybe during duck season in a big area but I think in general the average hunter sees any noise or worker as a deterrent to the hunt. I know when I head out and the farmer is harvesting, I scrap the idea and go someplace else. Hard to say, will you be hidden at ground level? What are they hunting? I'd think you'd be making enough noise but the bright orange is a good idea anyway.

colb

Thats funny. I really don't. If I was a logger walking through estimating a timer tract I'd be worried. Maybe during duck season in a big area but I think in general the average hunter sees any noise or worker as a deterrent to the hunt. I know when I head out and the farmer is harvesting, I scrap the idea and go someplace else. Hard to say, will you be hidden at ground level? What are they hunting? I'd think you'd be making enough noise but the bright orange is a good idea anyway.
I think we'll be a bit obscured at ground level. The purpose is to decrease fuel loads in the understory to make the area easier to burn on a schedule. It's an invasive plant control project. The understory is a little thick with young brushy oaks and grape vines.

I thought small game was basically Bobwhite quail, but I'm not sure because I don't hunt. Just found a website that says it's gray squirrel and rabbit, with shotgun, .22, or air gun. The website also says it's a good way to start hunting and shows a picture of a kid and adult together. :/

Steve Connally

I’d contact the game and fish or the marine police for that area and see if they can reach out to the registered hunters in that area. In va they have all our info and can push out notifications via the app or email. They or you might consider posting a notice on property boundries 200 yards away from your work area. I’m sure game and fish or the puddle police would be willing to help keep you safe.

colb

Thanks for responding guys. It's interesting to me that no one has had a job in this circumstance, yet obviously the knowledge base from hunting is very informative on where I should start looking into things.

Also interesting to me is that I was on a private property job site about a year ago and had a bullet pass by, 50 feet away, from someone in rapid fire target practise mode several hundred yards away. One will probably not be on hunting grounds if/when they have legitimate bullet issues.

I don't feel particularly unsafe going to a natural area during hunting season, but I do feel I need to respect whatever that entails.

SomethingWitty

The rule when hunting rabbits and squirrel with a shotgun is if you think you saw one, you probably did. With a .22, you don't blast things fifty yards away because you see a small patch of fur.
I doubt that you're going to get within a hundred yards of a competent hunter without them noticing you, but bells or a bluetooth speaker making constant noise might help you be sure.

The only issue I see there for you is poor marksmanship with rifles. Those .22 rounds sail a long way.

colb

The rule when hunting rabbits and squirrel with a shotgun is if you think you saw one, you probably did. With a .22, you don't blast things fifty yards away because you see a small patch of fur.
I doubt that you're going to get within a hundred yards of a competent hunter without them noticing you, but bells or a bluetooth speaker making constant noise might help you be sure.

The only issue I see there for you is poor marksmanship with rifles. Those .22 rounds sail a long way.
My son just got me a fortnite llama bitty boomer bluetooth speaker. Looks like it'll get some work action early this year, lol. Thanks a lot for the input.