Which is better? Porta Wrap or a Tree Binder

Discussion in 'Rigging and Roping' started by GsTreesGirl9026, Sep 3, 2017.

1. GsTreesGirl9026

GsTreesGirl9026 New Member

My fiancee and I own a tree service and I know he wants some new stuff so for Christmas I was going to surprise him but I'm stuck on what to choose. Should I get him a Porta-wrap or a Tree binder? Which works better for lowering? Which is easier for ground guys to learn on? Benefits and draw-backs on both would be greatly appreciated!

2. Treezybreez

Treezybreez Well-Known Member

What lowering device does he currently use?

When you say "tree binder" are you referring to a bollard that is strapped to the tree? Bollards are typically used on larger trees and cost more. Porta-wraps are a little more versatile and they weigh less.

96coal449 likes this.
  3. GsTreesGirl9026

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what he uses. I know he does wraps around other trees, and I do know he uses a come-along to help with certain applications. I generally stay off job-sites (unless he or the crew need something) and do paperwork and take care of kids.

I know last week he was saying something about wanting a porta wrap but when I was browsing online I found a tree binder. It was called a tree binder on bartletts so it might be a bollard.

This is the tree binder i was looking at
    http://www.bartlettman.com/TREE-BINDER_p_1322.html

4. colb

colb Well-Known Member

The tree binder never comes up in dialog on this site. Bartlett is a big box production tree company - very different kit from what operators conversing on this site (small box production and boutique) will work with. The tree binder may be a great piece of equipment, but I know nothing about it. The rubber in the back may break under heavy loads. I do not understand why one would use two separate bollards. Other guys here may have more/better information.

Port-a-wraps are standard, proven, and ubiquitous. It's hard to do tree work without running into one.

I would highly suggest that you directly ask him what he wants. Tree gear is hard to buy for other people because the environment is extreme and consequently accentuates who we are. Climbers generally climb best when they have exactly what they want, and do exactly what they want.

Hth

Sgriff, 96coal449 and Levi.CO like this.
  5. Treezybreez

In that case, I would go with a large porta-wrap. The device that you gave a link to is a type of bollard.

Sounds like a lucky guy to have you.

96coal449, fall_risk and colb like this.
  6. colb

colb Well-Known Member

7. Treezybreez

8. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

9. flyingsquirrel25

flyingsquirrel25 Well-Known Member

X2 ask him! You could buy him this shinny new device and miss a very important part! The sling. Without a sling the porta-wrap is just a paper weight. With the wrong sling it could wind up being a projectile headed toward the rigging point. My wife typically asks me what I need. And it's still a surprise. I forget easily!
    Also you might consider it for a birthday, anniversary, Halloween or its Tuesday gift, tree wraps from now till Christmas is a big PIA. Idea; give him the device now and the box for Christmas!

96coal449, Levi.CO and colb like this.
  10. tc262

tc262 Well-Known Member

11. monkeylove

monkeylove Well-Known Member

Asking him or getting a wish list is always best. I always have a wish list that my family can reference for gifts. It is still a surprise when I get something but they know it is something I will use and trust.

Now that being said... Everyone should own at least 2 Portawrap setups with dedicated slings and carabiners. They are inexpensive, versatile, and almost every tree guy knows how to use them so when you need a hand with a job there is very little confusion between the climber and the ground guy.

96coal449 and GregManning like this.
  12. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

Very good points ! I have 3.
    Large Aluminum, large steel & small mini.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  13. GsTreesGirl9026

Sounds like I should just get him a gift card to the local Buckingham store. He could pick it out himself then.

Thank you everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  14. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

Next question for him ..................
    Where does he want the gift certificate ? .................
    Local store (???); Treestuff.com; Sherrill; Wesspur; Bishop; Bartlett; American Arborist; Baileys; etc, etc

15. GsTreesGirl9026

I'll make it easy and get one of those Visa ones you can use anywhere.

16. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

A standard in my family during our adult years is to give money or even a gift card instead of guessing what exactly is wanted.needed.

We've had some fun making up make gifts. In your case you could take a cardboard tube from TP or paper towels and insert a dowel and add in a piece of clothesline for the sling.

One year my folks were going skiing after my Dad's b'day. I gave him money for two tow tickets...but I cut the toes off a pair of shoes and nailed them with two ticket stubs for two 'Toe Tickets'!

17. fall_risk

fall_risk Well-Known Member

This is so true, and I find myself grabbing the medium POW at 5 lbs almost all the time unless I'm blocking down or lowering a whole tree. I know it's only a couple pounds less than the regular, but it feels so much lighter. The medium w/ a 5/8 ultra sling FTW.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

18. TimberJack

TimberJack Well-Known Member

19. TimberJack

TimberJack Well-Known Member

For the record Bartlett Man Arb supply and the F.A. Bartlett Tree expert company have no affiliation. Most of the purchasing is done through a procurement program that works with sherrill.