When did you first hear?

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by Tom Dunlap, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the timeline for how SRT has been exposed in our profession.

Can you tell me two things?

When did you first hear about SRT in arborculture?

When did you first climb on SRT in trees?

Even just the year or make a guess.

Thanks!

Walt and Noah Buehner like this.
  2. treestyler

treestyler Member

2003 for first SRT experience (industrial climbing)
    And at the end of that year I did my first treeclimb with SRT access technique.

Never ever heard about it before over here.
    First workclimb with SRT technique must be about 3 years ago, before only access on SRT.

3. jomoco

jomoco Active Member

Re: When did you first hear? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Tom Dunlap

4. chris_girard

chris_girard Well-Known Member

First heard about it from Jeff Jepson back in 1995, but it wasn't until corresponding with Paolo a few years later that I started using SRT techniques, and this was using a hybrid/picky back system for ascent/work positioning.

5. TreeCo

TreeCo Well-Known Member

In 91 or 92 after reading 'On Rope' fashioned a rope walking system for tree entry. Went to a frog system by 93. I've never worked a tree srt.

6. Jman

Jman Well-Known Member

2007 - only used it for access to start, frog walker system, I also would use rads system off and on.

2009 - I used the f8 system a while and never liked it but always liked the idea. Been on srt positioning off and on since then. 2011 almost full time srt positioning.

7. Adkpk

Adkpk Well-Known Member

First rec climb I went to in Mass must of been 09. Could go back to AS and check, ah it doesn't matter. I was given good advice to stick with one system and not to go to far with trying new stuff but I eventually got a Texas tree monkey set up and tried srt. I'll srt up in really crowded trees.

8. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

In 2003 some guy I met in MN showed me his home built foot ascender and Texas setup, sort of like a MarBars. By now I'm down to only frogwalking for ascent and use SRT for work positioning about 50% of the time.

So anyway yeah, 2003 - MN

9. Treelimbjim

Treelimbjim Member

Q1: Earlier than 2002
    I had enough to learn about getting through days and seasons of many new things in other facets of my Arborist responsibilities. Even at Tom's suggesting, I didn't rush into another new thing.

Q2: 2004
    I may have climbed earlier, but that was when I set out and accumulated the gear and said, "Hey, I'm going to try this out."
    By Spring 2005 was primarily climbing SRT.

10. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    First rec climb I went to in Mass must of been 09. Could go back to AS and check, ah it doesn't matter. I was given good advice to stick with one system and not to go to far with trying new stuff but I eventually got a Texas tree monkey set up and tried srt. I'll srt up in really crowded trees.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like terrible advice

Kris Anderson likes this.
  11. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

Learning is about trying new things. Not sticking with one thing. Otherwise, we'd be crawling up stairs not taking them two at a time!

Or...sending snail mail not email ;)

While I was muddling around with SRT in the very beginning, around '83-'84, I was in isolation. No Internet...faxes weren't in every home office either. 'All' I had were books and the phone, with kinda spendy long-distance rates. Using e-communication has sure connected us and lead to instant change.

Mowerr, Walt and pub like this.
  12. Adkpk

Adkpk Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like terrible advice

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, "wax on wax off" theory. I think it was advice in order to set me on a slow and steady course. I started with a blakes and worked up to a vt. I see the dangers of srt for a newbie. Like getting stuck without a way down. Of course thanks to Kevin Bingman, lol, we can get down without a problem.

I still am more comfortable ddrt than srt but it's just a comfort thing. Sometimes it's much easier to srt but not as a rule for me.

13. Levi.CO

Levi.CO Well-Known Member

Tom D,
    you are such a D-bag!

14. Adkpk

Adkpk Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Tom D,
    you are such a D-bag!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did that come from?

15. RopeShield

RopeShield Well-Known Member

97 Found out about SRT when I
    bought the book On Rope and some webbing
    at Mountain supply store.

16. Levi.CO

Levi.CO Well-Known Member

"Adkpk"
    enough said HaHA!

17. RyanCafferky

RyanCafferky Well-Known Member

I started my tree career climbing SRT for SRWP. That was in the mid 90's. I first "heard" about SRT in arboriculture on Treebuzz in 2003?

These days I rarely do SRWP.

18. tennarbor

tennarbor Member

Levi - no buzzed buzzin' [​IMG]

19. tennarbor

tennarbor Member

Oh, and Tom I am way behind the game as far as srt goes. I had a friend of mine who was big into rock climbing. He would do tree work on his own and save just enough money to go eat vienna sausages for a couple months and climb El Cap or something.

I never worked with him but he always talked about using his rock climbing gear to do trees. He always climbed srt because thats all he knew. Rigging limbs by himself, descending to untie the limb and climb back up again. I always thought he was crazy and he is a little but know that I know a little more about it, I still wouldn't want to work like that but I understand that using his ascenders made those redundant climbs a little less exerting.

So, I would say that although I had heard of it (probably around 2006), I didn't really think of climbing srt to work a tree until 2010.

Mowerr likes this.
  20. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

SRT is the mother of DRT.

WHere do you thunk this all came from? Just read "On Rope" and you may get it.

DdRT is just another variation of SRWP - ropes and hitches tied in various combinations, some mechanical, all to aid in safe work positioning aloft.

I love it all, especially my "Magic Shoes".