Whats your comms unit of choice?

rugger01

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I couldn't find it if there is one. Anyone have a review on the tufftalks? I like the idea of being able to use them when needed and take them off when not. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hmm tufftalks? Ill have to look into them..

I've always been use to the Sena line & to be honest have always thought it was a jimmy rigged setup.. tiny brittle wires taped in, zip ties adhesive Velcro, dangling microphones that eventually rip off.. box says 900ft range & they'd drop before 150ft..

Then if no one reads the instructions on them it's a complete disaster. I was the only person out of 4 that actually knew how to work them.. that got old real fast as they constantly disconnected.

First time i saw them i was like wow.. you just paid how much for that? Then tried talking the owner into returning them & just having me build them at a better cost.

HOWEVER... when they weren't a pain in the ass they were priceless.

I always thought the removable or clip on ones should have been bought instead. The ones you see with the antenna & actual speakers designed into earmuff with a legit mic peice..

If i ever buy any for myself, those will be what I'm getting..

There's so much comm tech out there, there's no reason to have to deal with jimmy rigged systems..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

evo

Rockin the Peltor Lite comm +.. Can find them on ebay for about the same price at the sena's but have much better hearing pro, push to talk or VOX, ambient sound controls, no syncing just straight up CB radios link as many as needed.
I get the headband ones and just adapt them to hardhat clips.

Seriously.. why they choose to go with antiquated BT tech for the helmet comms is beyond me.. seems cb would have been the clear choice.. i could give a shit less if it plays mp3 or can make a playlist, I'm at freaking work.. Just stay dang connected further than 10ft & be loud enough to hear over equipment.

Man i wish Nextel was still around.. those things were the shit. Got dang....made my life so much easier..

No wait. Let's get rid of it so I can text the guy on the other side of the jobsite because it's the newest thing.. ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh...

flyingsquirrel25

Let’s remember the Sena is our adaptation of another industries technology. And they meet the needs of that recreational activity. The peltor was designed for our type of use. Noisy, dusty, multiple comms the list goes on. That’s why they are so damn expensive. I have used both and my peltors sit on the shelfeven though my crane co wants us to switch back the rechargability, constant comms, and weight savings, and cost are worth it (we don’t use the tuff talk though we use the sm10r I think).

Oh i know they are not designed for the Arb industry... thats what I'm bitching about.. it's the fact that all these business are slapping this fragile comm system into a shitty $15 helmet with duck tape, zip ties & glue then still asking over $200 for the thing is just BS. I garantee none of the 4 unit my old work bought last year are still functional. Maybe if the helmets we got were decent & it was around 200 i wouldn't have such a grip. It's like someone came up with the idea agree having it in their nice clean moto helmet & then tried to apply it to the work enviorment...

With a little ingenuity i garantee you could find some military type comm to retrofit into the helmets.. something with better overmolded wires & connectiond, made to bend, & components made to withstand sweat, salt & dust... I'd be willing to say they could do it for the same or less $$..

Squirrel.. your saying like the shitty ones better? Why is that?

flyingsquirrel25

Oh i know they are not designed for the Arb industry... thats what I'm bitching about.. it's the fact that all these business are slapping this fragile comm system into a shitty $15 helmet with duck tape, zip ties & glue then still asking over $200 for the thing is just BS. I garantee none of the 4 unit my old work bought last year are still functional. Maybe if the helmets we got were decent & it was around 200 i wouldn't have such a grip. It's like someone came up with the idea agree having it in their nice clean moto helmet & then tried to apply it to the work enviorment...

With a little ingenuity i garantee you could find some military type comm to retrofit into the helmets.. something with better overmolded wires & connectiond, made to bend, & components made to withstand sweat, salt & dust... I'd be willing to say they could do it for the same or less $$..

Squirrel.. your saying like the shitty ones better? Why is that?
Jimmy sounds like you have either and employer problem (buying crappy helmets), a you problem (talking about fragile helmets must mean you break them often) or a supplier problem (poor mounting practices). You seem to complain about everything except the functionality of the Sena unit! If you don’t like the helmet buy what you like, if you don’t like the mounting buy the pieces separately and mount it yourself or step the hell up to the plate and go after the military stuff and I would be skeptical you could find it for less than the $150 the Sena goes for.
I have yet to mount a system with glue or duck take but use 1-2 zip ties. I have had the same Senas for over 3 years now. They are still functioning as they did day one.
I chose the “shitty” ones because of their durability, price point ($150 per user vs. $600 +), functionality with the telephone, live comms, weight, rechargability (peltor rechargeable battery lasted less than 6 month with sporadic use).
The price point is the big sticker for me I can outfit a crew of 4 for the same cost as 1. The economics just don’t add up for my small company.

Jimmy sounds like you have either and employer problem (buying crappy helmets), a you problem (talking about fragile helmets must mean you break them often) or a supplier problem (poor mounting practices). You seem to complain about everything except the functionality of the Sena unit! If you don’t like the helmet buy what you like, if you don’t like the mounting buy the pieces separately and mount it yourself or step the hell up to the plate and go after the military stuff and I would be skeptical you could find it for less than the $150 the Sena goes for.
I have yet to mount a system with glue or duck take but use 1-2 zip ties. I have had the same Senas for over 3 years now. They are still functioning as they did day one.
I chose the “shitty” ones because of their durability, price point ($150 per user vs. $600 +), functionality with the telephone, live comms, weight, rechargability (peltor rechargeable battery lasted less than 6 month with sporadic use).
The price point is the big sticker for me I can outfit a crew of 4 for the same cost as 1. The economics just don’t add up for my small company.
Woah now buddy.. why you getting so sensitive.. it's a head set i just don't like.. I only asked if i was reading correctly & that you liked the hack n' pack ones better.

You must have misread as i am bitching about the functionality.. They suck. Their a sham, they do not function as advertised... constantly disconnecting & do not function for a quarter of the distance they are advertised for.

Price points..
Common Man.. you know these are a hack job solution.. anytime someone has to use the words Glue, Duct Tape, zip ties & $150 in the same sentence is laughable... The price point is my whole point.. considering how cheap CB/Bluetooth is these days, for that type of money you should be able to get something that isn't slapped together like a 3rd grade science project. I mean shit, i couldn't even wear mine when i first got it because of how the rediculous Zip ties were fashioned for the mic peice (again, zip ties = finished product..) & now that i think about it half of the batteries had fallen out & were just bouncing around, within the first 6 months.. (again.. tape, glue, zip ties = finished product?) The wires were also starting to break internally at all the stress points because of the tiny 24-26ga wire that's used resulting in a completely useless setup. Also, we both know the price point on these is well over $150.. a $150 is what you would pay for the Sena unit all by itself at full retail.. which is what most are charging for every peice included when u buy these setups, plus an install fee to smash it all in there with whatever is laying around the shop.;

I'll sound like a parrot here but.. Bluetooth tech is dirt cheap when your not buying just for a name brand.. & if you are buying grossly overpriced name brand, for that type of $$, it better work as advertised & I shouldn't have to do a freaking thing to it, especially if your paying for someone to wire it up.

So yeah.. maybe it is a supplier problem, however i garantee everyone is using similar methods & not looking into more secure options..

DSMc

... You must have misread as i am bitching about the functionality.. They suck. Their a sham, they do not function as advertised... constantly disconnecting & do not function for a quarter of the distance they are advertised for...
I have been using the Senas for a long time and see no truth in the above statement. The range is stated as, under ideal conditions, like a new cars estimated MPG, not what you are likely to get in normal use but a gauge as to what they are capable of. I have ranged checked ours to the full distance advertised, no problem.
We have no random disconnect problems, no problems with work conditions like sawdust and rain, thought on installment prevents wire wear issues and we get clear wide-ranging communication potential at a modest cost.

Woah now buddy.. why you getting so sensitive.. it's a head set i just don't like.. I only asked if i was reading correctly & that you liked the hack n' pack ones better.

You must have misread as i am bitching about the functionality.. They suck. Their a sham, they do not function as advertised... constantly disconnecting & do not function for a quarter of the distance they are advertised for.

Price points..
Common Man.. you know these are a hack job solution.. anytime someone has to use the words Glue, Duct Tape, zip ties & $150 in the same sentence is laughable... The price point is my whole point.. considering how cheap CB/Bluetooth is these days, for that type of money you should be able to get something that isn't slapped together like a 3rd grade science project. I mean shit, i couldn't even wear mine when i first got it because of how the rediculous Zip ties were fashioned for the mic peice (again, zip ties = finished product..) & now that i think about it half of the batteries had fallen out & were just bouncing around, within the first 6 months.. (again.. tape, glue, zip ties = finished product?) The wires were also starting to break internally at all the stress points because of the tiny 24-26ga wire that's used resulting in a completely useless setup. Also, we both know the price point on these is well over $150.. a $150 is what you would pay for the Sena unit all by itself at full retail.. which is what most are charging for every peice included when u buy these setups, plus an install fee to smash it all in there with whatever is laying around the shop.;

I'll sound like a parrot here but.. Bluetooth tech is dirt cheap when your not buying just for a name brand.. & if you are buying grossly overpriced name brand, for that type of $$, it better work as advertised & I shouldn't have to do a freaking thing to it, especially if your paying for someone to wire it up.

So yeah.. maybe it is a supplier problem, however i garantee everyone is using similar methods & not looking into more secure options..
Zero problems that you mentioned! No clue what in the world you are talking about. I don’t have or have ever seen duck tape or glue mounting. Ours clamp right onto the helmet with 2 Allen screws. Kinda like it was designed to do on a motorcycle helmet. My batteries can’t fall out, and the 1 zip tie that holds the mic up is a non event if installed correctly. As for the price point, I don’t know what company you buy them from but the last pair I bought was $150 each and free shipping.
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/sena-smh10-universal-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack?rrec=true
Yes just for the mounting hardware, wires and brain. Now mount it yourself and you can mount it however you want... you could even used bubble gum if you want. If you look around you can even get a repair kit (like $60), that has everything but the brain so you can set up multiple helmets or ear muffs and swap the brain from piece to piece.
I’m sorry you can’t get a decent helmet, and a Sena for cheap. Just kinda tired of blaming the product for the inadequacy of our supply chain.

evo

Haven’t paid more than 200 for a set of litecom’s. There was a recent conversation that the seana units don’t cancel noise and frequently the dB are above the OSHA threshold. Peltors lower the dB to allowable limits. Love my lite coms, I get to hear kids with walkie talkies, fishing boats, cell tower crews and all sorts of other stuff. I’ve tried back talking (to the kiddies) but they dont pick me up. Easy to switch channels when needed. Easy to change VOX levels to cancel out chippers or saws.

Stephen Moore

I got Sena system in our Kask helmets and they kick ass! The only thing I would like would be better fidelity in the audio, other than that they work as advertised every time! Game changer all the way!
Would I recommend them to a friend.... Hell yeah!

SomethingWitty

I gotta side with Jimmy on this one. I have a protos, so the up and down on the ears is constant. I have shorts in both speaker wires, the Mic stopped working within a couple of months, the connection system is clunky (tiers of connection? Why can't the units all be equals and be on the group or off of it) The lead unit bumps off of the conversation for some reason and all 4 of us are disconnected?) when you have more than two guys. With two, it's not so irritating. I am also on my second battery unit (it lasted half a year) because the first one stopped holding a charge and there was one laying around because someone else took it off.

Merle Nelson

Looking at the Sena 30K units. They automatically link up with other units in range unless you select a private talk function. Have a flip up antenna for extending range. Ohh, and will link up with 30 other units or something.

Down side is $580 for a set, and I was told by a biker (not confirmed) they don't pair with older units.

SomethingWitty

Looking at the Sena 30K units. They automatically link up with other units in range unless you select a private talk function. Have a flip up antenna for extending range. Ohh, and will link up with 30 other units or something.

Down side is $580 for a set, and I was told by a biker (not confirmed) they don't pair with older units.
That seems strange, since the old units have the capability to pair with all sorts of Bluetooth devices.

Stephen Moore

At that price you could find yourself all alone with your expensive headset?

So last I checked I have about 16 Sena units. Only been using them about 6 months now and they sure can piss me off, but they are also priceless. I have a dozen or so smh10 units and 4 of the newer smh11. I like the 10s better.
It does suck how they have tiers of connection. If everybody stops what they are doing for 5 minutes you can get everybody reconnected after an accidental head bump that kicks you off. Ultimately, the 5 minutes saves you more than that and the safety is better when your connected.
I have never had range issues, but the systems are a little rickety and easy to damage because of the loose wires. Ultimately, that’s what your going to find in a one size fits all comm set.
I personally use kask with a visor and 3m ears that I customized to run the wires through. As for all my guys (cause that’s a $400+ dollar setup) I buy the knockoff helmets on amazon. I think they are somewhere between 30 and 40 bucks and $15 3M ear muffs. All said and done it’s a $200ish helmet and my guys love em.
It all depends on application in my opinion. When I’m on a 3 to 5 man crew, they are great. But, sometimes we all get together for very large projects and we will have as many as 15 men on one site and when that happens you can forget it. We just basically connect the most important people together and leave everybody else out. We just tell them to turn the unit off so they don’t screw us up.