What would you like to see introduced or improved in arborist equipment?

I’ve been wondering about the things that would make our life’s easier when rigging. I wanted to start a thread where any idea is worth a shot. A couple things I’d like to see would be from DMM/ treemaginers. I’d like to see some colour options for the impact blocks maybe some bright colours to see from the ground when using in cloudy weather and on trolly systems. I’d like to see a hook and block come out that fits in the Offya like a small impact block does. I’d love to see and adjustable rope bridge attachment for the new treemotion evo. From sthil I’d like to see a bigger version of the 500i in a 90cc size, crazy power mixed with great cutting speed and light weight!

Benjo75

From Stihl I'd like to see the screw on gas and oil caps like have worked perfectly for the last 60 years. I really like the advancements in aerial friction. I would like to see it improved upon too. A device that would allow more friction up top but be fairly easy to pull the rope back up. The AFB didn't work at all as I had hoped. Plenty of friction up top but nearly impossible to pull the rope back up. Also it grooved out terribly with just one days use. And it impregnated a new rope with aluminum which is still turning my hands gray to this day. The Safebloc is by far the best so far but could use more friction. Maybe an affordable saw clip for my climbing belt. Something a little sturdier than the Caritool but not as expensive as the fancier ones. I'm always looking for a quicker one handed way to stow and retrieve my saw.

climbstihl

I’d love to see and adjustable rope bridge attachment for the new treemotion evo. From sthil I’d like to see a bigger version of the 500i in a 90cc size, crazy power mixed with great cutting speed and light weight!
Completely agree, especially since right now there is only one certified adjustable bridge I'm aware of. Not counting the Edelrid Treecore bridge, that's different.
I wonder if Stihl is going to make a 200Ti

colb

I think aerial friction could become more like a combo between a mechanical multicender and a caving rappel rack - more bollards, passive in the haul direction, and friction in the catch direction. Rig n wrench already does this but I want more adjustability in friction.

Benjo75

Yeah and I would like something beefier than the rig n wrench to add to it. We regularly lower a lot heavier pieces that it would handle. I really like the rig n wrench but we also need way more a lot of the time.

ghostice

I'd like to see CO2 cartridge powered throw bag launchers worked on more - that use cheap bicycle CO2 gas cartridges, have a smaller/ compact size like T-shirt launchers and maybe a small red dot scope. I think this launching thing has a way to go still - I've seen some homemade setups that are slick but why are we still tinkering/ rube goldberging?

Barc Buster

Maybe an affordable saw clip for my climbing belt. Something a little sturdier than the Caritool but not as expensive as the fancier ones. I'm always looking for a quicker one handed way to stow and retrieve my saw.
The shembiner is only 24 bucks and is bulletproof. I've had everything from a echo 2511t to a husky 288 hanging off it.

Bob Bob

A super compact and lightweight ascender with built in pulley for quick mechanical advantage set-ups. Something much much small than the CT Quick Roll.

Better selection of lead-free throwing weights. I'm looking at you Wesspur!

Yale, bring back the Bandit version of Blaze.

A New Tribe rope bridge harness in the $350-$400 price range.

In-tree throwline reel that's actually designed for throwline and in-tree use.

John@TreeXP

Here's a few ideas, just off the top of my head...

1. Revival of the Trango Cinch, but one that supports 10mm-12.5mm lanyard cord. Such a belay device needs to be affordable and well suited for rappelling, rather than just belaying.
2. A lightweight Tree Quickie to augment and fit into the Rope Runner's lower slic pin slot and offer a centralized tending point.
3. More static climbing ropes for optimal use on mechanicals, like the Akimbo and Rope Runner
4. All electric, power drill driven climbing/rescue ascender-descender, like the Wraptor and Ronin, but lighter and more compact, like Stews!
5. A saddle attached mechanical lanyard line tending spool holding up to 60ft.
6. A Chest Roller/Chest Harness. Ideal for no-hands SRT climbing and tending multicenders.
7. A bungee-less Knee Ascender
8. A comfortable Foot Ascender, for recreational use, using any kind of footwear, not just boots... oh right, thanks to @yoyoman that's a Saka-Mini
9. Augmented virtual reality helmet visor with transparent view screen, providing online internet access to run a multitude of apps, including risk identification, complex rigging calculations, video conferencing, instagram, etc.
10. Personal Throw-Line-Drone with remote laser guidance, to identify, set, install, retrieve and secure throw lines from the ground or from within the canopy, while never getting stuck in a tree.
11. An auto-self-adjusting Akimbo, that works on all 10mm - 13mm ropes with a 500 lb WL.
12. Star War's Light Saber

Last edited:

climbstihl

Here's a few ideas, just off the top of my head...

1. Revival of the Trango Cinch, but one that supports 10mm-12.5mm lanyard cord. Such a belay device needs to be affordable and well suited for rappelling, rather than just belaying.
2. A lightweight Tree Quickie to augment and fit into the Rope Runner's lower slic pin slot and offer a centralized tending point.
3. More static climbing ropes for optimal use on mechanicals, like the Akimbo and Rope Runner
4. All electric, power drill driven climbing/rescue ascender-descender, like the Wraptor and Ronin, but lighter and more compact, like Stews!
5. A saddle attached mechanical lanyard line tending spool holding up to 60ft.
6. A Chest Roller/Chest Harness. Ideal for no-hands SRT climbing and tending multicenders.
7. A bungee-less Knee Ascender
8. A comfortable Foot Ascender, for recreational use, using any kind of footwear, not just boots... oh right, thanks to @yoyoman that's a Saka-Mini
9. Augmented virtual reality helmet visor with transparent view screen, providing online internet access to run a multitude of apps, including risk identification, complex rigging calculations, video conferencing, instagram, etc.
10. Personal Throw-Line-Drone with remote laser guidance, to identify, set, install, retrieve and secure throw lines from the ground or from within the canopy, while never getting stuck in a tree.
11. An auto-self-adjusting Akimbo, that works on all 10mm - 13mm ropes with a 500 lb WL.
12. Star War's Light Saber
1. Even the regular cinch would be nice.
4.Definitely needs to be midline attachable though, and work with a wide range of ropes.
5. A 60 ft. reel will get pretty bulky, maybe there should be different sizes available for people that only want like 30ft.
11. While you're at it, drop that down to 8mm.
12. A lightsaber would be great as a chainsaw replacement... One hand cutting too...