What tree?

ATH

I don't think it is correct, but my best guess was Hydrangea paniculata based on the opposite branching and leaf arrangement and somewhat close leaf shape. I kinda feel like I should know it...but honestly have no clue.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Ok...but look at the site...multi-family units in central Ohio.

Why would an obscure arboreteum worthy tree be planted there? It's so weird right?

ATH

Well...it is something obscure...so why not an obscure maple? Agree...weird. Look like those might have been nicer apartments back in the day - maybe they hired somebody who liked diversity to plant some of the trees? Left over at a nursery that tried them out and didn't have any takers years ago so it was cheap? A (Japanese?) resident snuck it into the ground when it was tiny?

JD3000

Most well-known member
Apparently there's at least a few of them on the site exhibiting similiar dieback as well.

Gonna ask for the address to visit.

Last edited:

JD3000

Most well-known member
Has EAB...and every other borer that goes after stressed ash as well. D, oval, and large round exit holes found. Some are still salvageable though.
20180805_121555.jpg20180805_121520.jpg20180805_121455.jpg20180805_121158.jpg20180805_121243.jpg

ATH

I was looking for simple leaf ash...buds look like it, Bark looks like it, dieback looks like EAB. I couldn't find a pic that looked right.