What tree is this

tomstrees

American chestnut. Another reason why I hate the latin labels--a huge barrier for most people especially in these semi-literate device addicted days; and a pretentious la-te-da exclusive style of education. Let's keep this stuff plain and simple especially when there are not that many of "chestnuts": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut

JD3000

American chestnut. Another reason why I hate the latin labels--a huge barrier for most people especially in these semi-literate device addicted days; and a pretentious la-te-da exclusive style of education. Let's keep this stuff plain and simple especially when there are not that many of "chestnuts": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut
Words, proper nomenclature, and technical jargon are important. They can separate the pros from the hacks as well. Just don't get to technical with the general public or they'll zone out sometimes.

ATH

how big is the tree? I've seen plenty of seed bearing C. dentata...but they don't have many nuts and won't last too many years after they start.

The leaves look more American. Can't really see enough buds on those pics. Buds for Chinese are more around and against the stem. American buds are a little darker, more oblong and stick out a little more.

tomstrees

American chestnuts were very prolific in the US before the Asian blight struck starting in 1904 doing severe damage into the 30s. In the Hardy's book, "50 Hikes in Connecticut" they wrote about still seeing the hulks of chestnuts in the 70s, they were that tough.

Moses

I have found a number of these trees riding the bike trails along the Allegheny River - a very remote and isolated area.. From East Brady to Kittanning (the Armstrong Trail), and along the Red Bank Trail to New Bethlehem. This particular tree was located right in Kittanning and was about 25 feet tall; the tallest I've seen was around 50-60'. If the tree was a Chinese Chestnut, would they be that spread out over such a large area? I am aware of about 20 seed bearing trees along the trails and saw more non-seed bearing trees. Here is another view of the same tree.
tree 3.JPG

1539044440120.png
The tree in the photos is located on Chestnut Street in Kittanning - what a coincidence!

Another easy to find tree is in New Bethlehem. It is across the trail from a green bear statue.
1539044939473.png

Or you could go to Bear Ridge Campground near Templeton and find this tree at the top of the hill near the driveway. The nuts on this one were not fully mature.
tree campground.JPG

Moses

Here's another picture of a tree further along the trail showing more detail.tree 4.JPG

And a tall tree. Note that the rail trail was not built until the mid 2000's, so it would have taken a hardy soul to go along the Conrail tracks and plant these if they were intended as ornamental trees. They are a couple of miles from the nearest dwelling.
tree 5.JPG

Moses

I need to travel back to Pennsylvania and get a better look at the trees. The fuzz on these nuts hint at American Chestnuts.

tree 7.jpg

This branch looks like a Chinese Chestnut. Perhaps both are mixed in the forest.
tree 8.jpg

Reactions: ATH