What Size Climbing Rope Do You Prefer

My SRT, DRT and lanyard are all 11 mm. It's time to replace my ropes. I like the idea of going to 11.7 mm rope but haven't made up my mind yet. I know the 11.7mm line is easier on the hands but my thinking is bigger termination knots which need a little bit more crotch if your going to pull them through.

What are you using and do you have PROS & CONs concerning 11.7mm rope.

Last edited:

climbstihl

11.7 mm is not 1/2" that would be 12.7mm.
I like my 1/2" 16 strand, works very well with hitches. It is pretty heavy though. I don't really have anything to compare it against though, I use 10.5 mm static ropes at work, but not for tree climbing persay.

Jan_

I'm a purely rec climber and on 10mm main rope right now, nice and lightweight, but most mechanical devices and hitches dont work very well on that, so I'm currently using a RADS. My lanyard with a hitch is 11mm, and I'm going to buy myself an 11mm main rope in the near future so I can experiment more with things like the RW and the Sticht hitch.
11,7mm would be too heavy for my taste, but I must say that I enjoy climbing on 12mm rope too (tried @climbstihl 's rope once), and I would probably choose a thicker one than 11mm if weight was not an issue

climbstihl

Another question. What systems do you use, mechanical or hitch based? A thicker line is much easier on hitches, they'll last a lot longer.

Another question. What systems do you use, mechanical or hitch based? A thicker line is much easier on hitches, they'll last a lot longer.
I climb on hitch cord "HRC".

You are right 12.7mm is .50" they 11.7mm .46". I will edit my comment.

Nice to know that thicker line is kinder to the hitch cords!

rico

I wouldn't go any bigger than 11.7 if your running HRC. I also run HRC and my go 2 ropes theses days are 11mm HTP and 11.7 Xstatic. I am a light climber (155-160 lbs) and both work great.

Bob Bob

My preference is for 10-11mm for recreational climbing, which is most of the climbing I do. I also use a 9mm lanyard. They are very light weight for packing into the back country. I'll use a hand ascender to get a positive grip on the thin ropes when needed. 8mm hitch cords seem to work well for the 9, 10 and 11mm ropes in Ddrt/MRS mode. I use 9mm RIT with my hitchhiker on the 11mm

I will use 11.5mm tachyon when doing light tree work for friends and family. It seems absolutely huge after using the 10-11mm. Larger ropes are easier on my hands and produce less arm cramping by the end of the day. I've never noticed increased difficulty in pulling the 11.5 through a tight crotch. 11.5+ can be an a tight squeeze for some 11mm rated descenders. I've always used 9mm-10mm hitch cords with 11.5 or larger ropes.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I only climb on yale 11.7. It is not heavy. It is bullet proof and uses hand splices. I only climb SRT with an odd DdRT climb on small trees.. i have used all the yale 11.7s. All. They are fucking great. Love them. I am 180 and use 9.3 epi or 10 epi.

I only climb on yale 11.7. It is not heavy. It is bullet proof and uses hand splices. I only climb SRT with an odd DdRT climb on small trees.. i have used all the yale 11.7s. All. They are fucking great. Love them. I am 180 and use 9.3 epi or 10 epi.
I'm looking at purchasing Blue Moon 11.7mm by Yale.

JeffGu

Yale 11.7mm here, too... and one 11.8mm DrenaLine that I got recently. It's a kernmantle and I've got a ZigZag on it. Really nice rope and I actually like it better for DdRT and a ZZ than I do for SRT. Go figure.

The ZigZag really works well on ropes that are very close to (but not quite) half inch. The DrenaLine feels surprisingly light. If you tie knots in your climb line (other than a stopper) you might not like it. The 11.7mm Yale ropes are a lot more supple.

I do like KM3 Max (11mm) with a Rope Wrench.

DSW

I recently started using an 11mm rope and while I'll still run it until it's done I won't be buying anything smaller than 11.7 in the future. The weight difference is less important to me than the hand of the rope.