What kind of birch?

Cut down a bunch of these on a property in the last few weeks. Some of them 75'+ tall, in woods where all tree were tall straight and lacking any large limbs for the bottom 35-40 feet or more. Black birch maybe. In north eastern Pennsylvania. I never saw any of these in SE Pa doing tree work for 10 years.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

flyingsquirrel25

Betula alleghaniensis. The bark is too flakey for lenta. The yellow birch is found down here, but most of what I have seen has been planted by land managers. The black birch is the same but was planted 50-75 years ago. Not seeing them planted as much due to health issues in our warmer climates.
Both are found much more the farther north you go. Head up into northern New England and you will find entire forests of these pioneering species.

It has a minty smell. Some of the bark looks like cherry for sure. Is it desirable for anything? Plans are for firewood.

flyingsquirrel25

It has a minty smell. Some of the bark looks like cherry for sure. Is it desirable for anything? Plans are for firewood.

Of the correct size it used to be worth something for lumber. I don't think that market has been strong for years though. Fair firewood, can be difficult to split sometimes.