what is a good starting salary?

Discussion in 'Support & Announcements' started by calitrees, Apr 27, 2016.

1. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

They got you guys fighting over the crumbs under the table if you think 15 an hour is a bad deal ( or good deal) for anybody.

IMG_20160523_024425.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    NickfromWI likes this.
  2. marlinspiker

marlinspiker Well-Known Member

The problem of low wages in our industry is a problem of the low bar to entry into this line of work. In most states no formal training is required to start a business. This has ill effect on several factors and the key one being the general populations belief that this is an unskilled labor category. We need to continue to pressure our governing organizations to promote professional arboriculture to the masses and to support legislation that requires licenses to operate. I see the future of this industry as being a highly regarded professional occupation.

calitrees likes this.
  3. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

I agree and many want regulation to help promote their own interest but then vote for supposed free markets and less government. The premise is usually in the desire of public safety but then I have a hard time figuring why it takes such licensing to be a hair stylist.
    IMO, in the case of pushing for regulating and licensing of the arborist, it needs to be done in the interest of the trees that are the real helpless victims here.

Z'sTrees and calitrees like this.
  4. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Increasing regulations and licensing will tend drive up the cost of trees and tree care. As these costs increase the attractiveness of trees to a property owner will decrease. I know it's just one factor, but it should be considered.

calitrees and TimBr like this.
  5. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

Then one needs to learn to sell. What's currently driving up the cost is increasing insurance rates on everything we touch, from our equipment, to general liability and on to WC (the big one).

fall_risk and TimBr like this.
  6. 96coal449

96coal449 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with charging the clients more. Standards of living are higher along with fuel prices and so on. The problem is when you raise your prices to compensate for the increased overhead expenses, some cut throat wanna be tree business will get the job. Clientele needs to be educated. Insurances in place? Is the company professional? Or is it two guys and a pickup with a saw? I tried this with the roofing trade but the client often goes for the cheaper price. Now I get a lot of repair work and sometimes have to replace the roof because the install is so bad it's beyond reasonable repair. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

LimbLoppa and calitrees like this.