what is a good starting salary?

Got a offer for a job! Was wondering a good starting wage for a climber postion for residential trimming in ca? Something they dont really teach in climb school! Any help is appreciated for me and future new climbers!

fall_risk

It's a difficult question, it depends a lot on the quality level of the company, and I'm on the other coast, but here a guy who can climb with supervision is worth about $12-17, someone who can climb without much supervision is $15-22ish, and climbing Foremen probably $18 on up to the low thirties or so, by which time they are probably starting their own thing or contract climbing. The trio of bona-fides (certified arborist, licensed pesticide applicator, and CDL) are worth at least a dollar an hour each, CDL more like $2 or $3.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ok so i dont fill too bad about the offer now! Thank you for the quick response sir. I know r.o.w trimming is union so pay is higher but never thought it would be such a sliding scale

@Sgriff i worked as a groundsman with asplundh utility trimming for six months, i just completed a.c.r.t arborist school in akron where they taught us climbing and ansi z133 standards! Have only climbed a couple times there for aireal rescue and our 3 point test!. And ive climbed a couple times since ive been back! Still experimenting with the best system for myself but im excited to start my climbing career

Sgriff

Well shiet,what'd they offer you to start? Climbing school huh,who'd a thunk that. That's awesome someone is doing that kind of hands on teaching.

Sgriff

That's a very big question mark for sure,I think the fact that there is room for growth/advancing rank in tree work,I will always be scouting out future climbers and lure them with the thought of being a real capable man that can bring in some real coin.after they work their way up the ladder,i know it's dreaming but that's just what I keep telling myself since im still a work in progress myself (as far as business end is concerned)

JontreeHI

Pretty soon a burger flipper at McDonalds will be getting $15/ hour. What will the starting wage for the same above qualifications be worth then?
I've wondered this too. And for other higher paid positions, when you can make -15/hr pumping gas, will everyone's wages increase also? Interesting to see how it shakes out

oldoakman

Who pumps gas anymore for a job other than people in new Jersey? Seriously though, a $15/per hour minimum wage will do one of two things and perhaps a combination of both. First will be increased prices especially for businesses that operate on narrow margins. The second will be elimination of positions that can be automated, possibly creating higher unemployment. I don't think the government will increase unemployment benefits to match in the short run. Such a large increase in wages at one time will be disastrous.

fall_risk

Price controls of all kinds, minimum wage, rent control, the, ahem, whole farm bill, have many disadvantages, but shares the advantage of another highly questionable idea, the flat tax, namely simplicity. It's hard to explain to someone working 3400 hours a year split across 3 jobs (ie no full-time, no benis) for $25k a year that any increase in wages could be bad, and trying to talk economics with people who aren't interested is like talking about soil remediation mixtures and the relative merits of biochar with your significant other. People's eyes glaze over while you're drawing the price and quantity axes, never mind getting to the supply and demand curves. For example, I think the income tax should be calculated using a continuous function; you could set the marginal tax rate with the the first derivative curve and get a pretty good idea of how progressive the tax code is looking at the second derivative curve, but that is not pithy enough to pitch.

What these people protesting for a higher minimum wage are really angry about is income inequality. Long term fixes are better education for everyone (that's simple and easy...), better childhood development support (also super easy... er...), and removing distortions and externalities from the labor market (piece of cake), but no matter how well we improve things for dem chitlins, there are so many who have already been left behind, and I'm not saying that some of them don't work hard or game what supports we do have in place, but you'll never convince me it's all their fault; without loving parents, a stable home and lower-middle class resources, I wouldn't even be a tree guy. It's our responsibility to bring them with us, somehow, an whether we pay for it in higher taxes, lower profits, or some other way, it'll be expensive.

As far as our industry goes, the increasing professionalization of the labor pool is taking us (slowly) in the higher wage direction anyway. I personally don't think we should fight that. We should be charging clients more to do scientifically-informed, high-skill, safe work.

fall_risk

It's a difficult question, it depends a lot on the quality level of the company, and I'm on the other coast, but here a guy who can climb with supervision is worth about $12-17, someone who can climb without much supervision is $15-22ish, and climbing Foremen probably $18 on up to the low thirties or so, by which time they are probably starting their own thing or contract climbing. The trio of bona-fides (certified arborist, licensed pesticide applicator, and CDL) are worth at least a dollar an hour each, CDL more like $2 or $3.

treehumper

Pretty soon a burger flipper at McDonalds will be getting $15/ hour. What will the starting wage for the same above qualifications be worth then?
It's not happening in one fell swoop for starters. As it is, finding entry level workers is hard and that's competing against a much lower minimum wage. Its the work not the wage that is the deterrent for many. Automation is a red herring in the wage debate. It is happening no matter what and the key is the ability to breakdown the work into a methodology that can then be coded. A 2013 study forecast 47% of the current jobs listed in the occupation codes are susceptible to computerization. These are any jobs that don't require some degree of creativity ( and I don't mean creative accounting!).

What drives automation more than wages is reliability and the automation industry itself. Machines can work continuously without all the challenges that arise with humans. The companies that have grown through automation need to constantly open up new markets thus they continually look for opportunities. Long before there was talk of a $15 minimum wage, retailers were already delving into total store automation. The internet of things is another element to this puzzle. We are building in AI to our homes at a growing rate to the point were our fridge will do it's own ordering with little more than a message showing up on your smartphone for you to give the ok to.

Getting back to the work aspect; we are perceived as a labor intensive profession/trade with little upside potential. Until we can change that perception we will struggle to find good workers at any wage. In the meantime, refer to the thread about a certain device that looks like it could replace climbers for a good chunk of our work…….