What in the heck is this oozing out of my walnut?

evo

Walnuts drip sap like crazy when injured in the spring or when the sap starts flowing. Depending on your area if the sap suckers are poking at the tree the sap is flowing.
This sap can be colonized by many different bacteria’s and yeasts, some of which lead to “wet wood” a mild pathological issue. However, even if pathological they often out compete more aggressive pathogens.

General rule, if it smells sweet, it isn’t colonised. If boozy (sometimes fizzing) it’s booze! Aka yeast. If smells putrid like rotting flesh, it’s bacterial. Of course lab samples are cheap, but overall likely not a big deal.

Shooting the bird causing the damage is very effective but also very illegal and immoral. Basically you’d burn in hell. Burlap wrapped around heavily damaged areas makes the birds seek out other trees or areas giving the damage spot a chance to callus. The tree may compartmentalize a whole section off instead of dealing with many small wounds in a patch.

Please make your check payable to JD300, he works for beer

Last edited:

JD3000

Walnuts drip sap like crazy when injured in the spring or when the sap starts flowing. Depending on your area if the sap suckers are poking at the tree the sap is flowing.
This sap can be colonized by many different bacteria’s and yeasts, some of which lead to “wet wood” a mild pathological issue. However, even if pathological they often out compete more aggressive pathogens.

General rule, if it smells sweet, it’s colonised. If boozy (sometimes fizzing) it’s booze! Aka yeast. If smells putrid like rotting flesh, it’s bacterial. Of course lab samples are cheap, but overall likely not a big deal.

Shooting the bird causing the damage is very effective but also very illegal and immoral. Basically you’d burn in hell. Burlap wrapped around heavily damaged areas makes the birds seek out other trees or areas giving the damage spot a chance to callus. The tree may compartmentalize a whole section off instead of dealing with many small wounds in a patch.

Also, invite Evo over so he can lick the oozing walnut.

KWolt

Most sapsucker activity does little serious damage to a tree. I’ve seen cases where the sapsucker wells were so numerous and concentrated that they effectively girdled or partially girdled the tree but that’s really unusual.

TallTreeClimber

Most sapsucker activity does little serious damage to a tree. I’ve seen cases where the sapsucker wells were so numerous and concentrated that they effectively girdled or partially girdled the tree but that’s really unusual.
This is a big old walnut and it is riddled with holes. These are the first fresh holes that I've seen since we acquired the property 8 months ago. There are so many holes in the trunk of this tree.

TallTreeClimber

Could get a Arborist to come look at it
The only time I've ever tried to get an extension agent to look at something for me I was told they don't do house calls and that's as far as it's gone. Is there a network of folks that I could contact? There are numerous trees that I'd like to have opinions and advice on.

Munford, Alabama Talledega County- is where this particular property is.

colb

General rule, if it smells sweet, it isn’t colonised. If boozy (sometimes fizzing) it’s booze! Aka yeast. If smells putrid like rotting flesh, it’s bacterial. Of course lab samples are cheap, but overall likely not a big deal.

I'm going to start a new account to siphon off all those funds, mwahaha. I've been waiting all these years to get rich.

Reactions: evo

evo

I'm going to start a new account to siphon off all those funds, mwahaha. I've been waiting all these years to get rich.
You’d be more likely to wind up with a case of beer on your doorstep and a bad hangover