Weight capacity of driveways

Discussion in 'Crane Use' started by JelinekTree, Jan 30, 2018.

1. JelinekTree

JelinekTree New Member

I have been wondering how much weight an average 4” thick concrete driveway can support without the fear of damaging it. I have found that most contractors use 2500-3000 psi concrete for driveways. I figure you can calculate the ground pressure psi of your truck but depending on the base/sub grade under the concrete it’s capacity to hold weight can differ greatly. I am wondering what you guys use as a rule of thumb when driving your cranes, kbooms, grapple trucks on concrete driveways. Do you all use plywood or mats? Do you have something in writing that limits your liability if you do crack a slab? Is there a website or list somewhere showing what size vehicles can be driven on what thickness concrete? I’m asking because I toying around with the idea of using a manitou mrt 2150 telehandler with a grapple saw. It weights around 40k lbs and has 4 tires with a short wheelbase. I’m wondering if this machine could be set up on a driveway and used to remove trees over a house.

2. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

You are not going to get the answers you are looking for because there is no way for you to have the information needed for those. If you're looking for a solid place to stand, get a liability waiver and have them sign it.

3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Well-Known Member

Why a RTH vs a knuckle boom? I looked at RTHs back in 2015 for that use, bought a treemec in 2017. Two nice things on RTH are 4x4 drive and steering, and short wheel base like you said. Both the steering and short wheel base will make it easier to stay centered on the driveway.

TimBr likes this.
  4. JelinekTree

JelinekTree New Member

The reason I’m thinking a RTH is because of the maneuverability. We do a lot of work in back yards and in tight spots so I figure the more compact the machine the better. I have seen some used Manitou units for around $150k plus the grapple saw. I haven’t seen many prices on treemec’s other than the ones they had at tci expo. I’m not ruling out a knuckleboom just doing some research. I only have experience with a few different size stick cranes. Currently we work with a crane company in our area when we have big removals or tricky situations. I have to set up on driveways often with my current setup which is a Biljax 55xa aerial lift. I’m wondering if the 40k lb manitou could park on a standard driveway without tearing up the concrete or asphalt. Looking for some insight on what you guys running cranes do in situations like this and what your cranes weigh. There is nothing like a treemec or RTH in my area and I think if I am first to market with a unit like this there is lots of money to be made. Especially with the large amount of dead ash trees in municipal right of ways around here. Thanks for taking the time to try and answer some of my questions.

TimBr likes this.
  5. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Paul, PCTree, inventor of the Wraptor, Hitch Hiker, etc made some sweet roll out, oak timbers to displace the 54k pounds of his crane. 3"x3" x several feet wide, spaced like rail road ties on a railway bed, laced on rigging rope, with knots between timbers.

Genius!!

Look in his posts and at his Grove AT thread.

TimBr likes this.
  6. Ben Heller

Ben Heller Member

I have used a 2150 with Mecanil 220 on it. If you would like to talk about it, I will call you if you PM me or send me a message on my website. Or you can call the number in the Utube video the 651 248 number.

TimBr likes this.
  7. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@JelinekTree, Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

You can use the search box on this forum to find old posts that relate to your questions, as Sean mentioned. The results are limited only to this forum, no other websites.

This is an interesting thread you've started, thanks for jumping in!

Tim

8. christreez

christreez Member

I was on you tube and this was in a recommended video and my mind was blown haha some one actually makes a roll out road kinda expensive and heavy but it's an option and who knows how it holds up but hey its a start. Doesn't look like it would make a turn very well tho. http://www.propertyprops.com/slattrax/

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk