Walnut Id help ?

evo

The story with this tree is that it was a codom tree.. Or potentially two trees at the stump, one side failed and we are trying to decide if it's worth while hiring a crane to pick out logs from behind the house. Every thing seems to be black walnut but there are some indications that it is not. The wood color reminds me more so of a butternut. The heart wood is about the same color as the sapwood when cut, mostly blond to light tan. It does darken up fairly quickly in to a darker brown, nearly the color of deer.
The books I have only list the top three species, butternut, eastern black walnut, and english. I know there are quite a few hybrids out there, any one that can help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0516[1].JPG IMG_0512[1].JPG IMG_0521[1].JPG

Attachments

I've had a similar problem/discussion with colleagues.
I have the pleasure of having both species as specimens at my home.
Still not 100% tho.
No terminal leaflet is usually standard for a black, round fruit/nuts,
dark heart wood.
But what you have looks more like a butternut..the leaf scars, my guess.
The similarities between the two species is staggering in your pics...normally the fruit of the butternut is ovate.
Maybe you have a
Black ButterNutWal on your hands...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mrtree

Your tree is not a butternut, English walnut, Japanese walnut or a hybrid butternut/something. It is also not one of the hybrids sold as heart-nut.

From what I see it is a Black Walnut Juglans nigra

It is too early (tree too young and small) for heart wood.

Treezybreez

Your tree is not a butternut, English walnut, Japanese walnut or a hybrid butternut/something. It is also not one of the hybrids sold as heart-nut.

From what I see it is a Black Walnut Juglans nigra

It is too early (tree too young and small) for heart wood.
I've seen black walnuts that size and smaller that had very dark heart wood.
The nuts shown have the appearance of black walnut. So do the leaves and bark. My guess is that it's a cross between butternut and Black Walnut.

evo

I'll post some more photos after work today. Many things scream black walnut. Tree is two stems at the root flare, one of which has uprooted. Sticking my head down into the hole looking at the bottom of the stump, there is none of the distinct heartwood. Each stem of the tree is about 28-30" diameter at breast height.
Everything is screaming black walnut! How many growth rings in until the heartwood? I counted close to twenty on the samples I did take. Also the wood feels too soft.

mrtree

Perhaps there is some foreshortening but the diameter looks to be similar to the length of the bar.

There is clearly the development of heartwood shown in your photos.

mrtree

Why? There is known variability in heartwood extent within black walnut with variability being related to growth rate and genetics. Heartwood colour is not a method for identifying black walnut from a botanical standpoint.

evo

IN the second photo I see that there are two different plants. Is it possible that they are both Juglans?
That is a laurel hedge.. This is the remaining half of the tree, which the clients have determined they want to keep. I think we are either going to cut the failed part off the stump or take a core sample

Attachments