Veteran Trees in Brooklyn, 3/29-30/2017

KTSmith

We will have a two-day workshop on Veteran Tree Biology and Care in Brooklyn, NY on March 29-30. Hosted by the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and Green-Wood Cemetery, we will look at survival strategies, response growth, and management. ISA CEUs are offered and the workshop counts as an elective course for the BBG Horticulture program. Details at: https://classes.bbg.org/CourseStatus.awp?&course=17WAEHORVTC
Should be fun!

KTSmith

True enough. My wife's childhood in the 40's-50's was in Williamsburg, near the line with BedStuy. The ghetto from which she fled in the 60's went from the "New Bohemia" in the 90's to being stratospheric now. That be cities, I guess.

KTSmith

Indeed so Mrtree, you are straightening me out yet again. And for a good cause as well! You know, I've been putting the wrong year on things this week. I dated a check for 2013 over the weekend.
No excuse, and thanks for the correction. I did get in there and changed the thread name.
Now we'll just need to see if anyone shows up! I think one or two of my Forest Service colleagues might take it. Within my agency, folks wonder what I do all day!

JD3000

Yep, been there. Lot's of good info.

I'll clarify, not much info here in the States so this presentation is a great idea.

KTSmith

Yes, the UK Ancient Tree Forum definitely has good information and is a constructive presence. Of course, much of the information on the site relates to land management policy, which is outside of my purview. Thanks for passing it along!

I will be there with a colleague from Central Park. Veteran trees in urban environments, especially in busy areas, create some interesting challenges.

Josh