Using a log grapple as a crane (lifting a standing bole)

Discussion in 'Crane Use' started by Michael Martorana CA, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Michael Martorana CA

Michael Martorana CA New Member

Hello all, has anyone used a log grapple to pick up a standing bole as it's being cut at the bottom?
    I wouldn't dare use the grapple itself, but to use appropriate canvas slings and clevis, and wrapping
    the sling on the grapple arm seems acceptable.
    Additionally, I would like to locate the section of OSHA that covers this procedure.
    Thanks.
    MM

2. LiTreeService

LiTreeService Member

We do it all the time. And use just the grapple as well. Just don’t bite off more then you can chew

TimBr and CutHighnLetFly like this.
  3. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

Caution!

I don't know what the regulations are for using a grapple like this but...be careful

One of my coworkers had the grapple hold a log while he did the butt cut. After making the cut the grapple lifted. It was spring and the bark sloughed off letting the trunk slip out of the grapple. The trunknhitnthe teller who got clobbered. He is likely to go out on permanent disability.

In hindsight slinging the top and making a by pass cut instead of a face cut to fell the trunk would have gotten the felled out of the drop zone

KeefDecker, ROYCE and NE Tree like this.
  4. LiTreeService

LiTreeService Member

Like I said have to do it in moderation. But to be frank. A tree mek is basically what we are talking about but eliminating the person for most of the time. But if you watch a lot of people who have them they use the grapple to grab a bottom piece and cut it at the bottom

5. theatertech87

theatertech87 Member

place i worked for did that with the grapple and lost it through the cab of the truck... too much weight, just be careful

6. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

We did the same thing, only we didn't try picking it up, only hold while being cut, push it over, then pick it up

7. ROYCE

ROYCE Well-Known Member

Tom brings up a good point...use with caution! We do this technique from time to time but its critical that no one is in the danger zone when the lift is happening. Its the same when loading logs onto a log truck...personal need to stand clear.

I personally think its a great trick to have in the tool box. But must be employed in the proper situations. I am a fan of the bypass or V-cut to give the cutter time to clear the danger zone. It also depends on your grapple and the strength of it. Ours has Bull dozer teeth welded onto the ends of the grapple for that added grip. I often just trap the top of the standing stem and once cut...swing it down to the ground and then re-grab the piece in a more secure location.

TimBr and DOOLEY like this.
  8. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

Yeah you wanna be careful how you set it down in regards to the force of angles your putting on the grapple. Start with kinda small sticks so you can get used to putting a vertical stick down horizontal

LiTreeService and ROYCE like this.
  9. TimberJack

TimberJack Well-Known Member

Dumb idea... I had an extremly talented operator almost mangle me while i was cutting from the bucket and on another occasion of retarded log truck use by another similarly talented opetator watch the stem fall over with grapple still attached to stem but just no longer the boom hoses dangleing hydro oil everywhere. Ive worked around some talented log loader operators and these two guys could pick pocket you or scratch your back with the grapple but log trucks were never meant to coax over stems or rig down stems like a rigem and roll.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  10. Jonathan collett

Jonathan collett New Member

Works great just be smart. Good cuts, good picks, and not overweight.

KeefDecker and LiTreeService like this.
  11. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Dumb idea, or just talented operators making mistakes?

12. TimberJack

The whole idea of using a peice of equipment to do a job it wasnt meant for is dumb no matter if its your first time or your (insert absurd number here). But whatever you do be careful to not become one of those TCIA stories non of us want to be in.

13. Dewar

Dewar New Member

Three days ago we had one of our operators lose a stick he tried to pick while still standing. Snap cut, wasn't to big, as he broke it of the stump the log came out of the grapple and landed on the cab of the truck. Thank God no one was hurt (everyone was clear of the log before he started the pick it up) but it would have taken just as long to drop the stick and pick it up horizontally as it would have taking it vertically....and in this case far less expensive too. Point being, if you aren't going to put a strap on it, just drop it and use the machine as intended....don't do something stupid/risky that could get someone killed.

TimBr and KeefDecker like this.
  14. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

We never tried to pick it up, only assisted in dropping it then picking it up, once the cutter was clear.

15. ROYCE

ROYCE Well-Known Member

I disagree. I'm saying that your operator was unskilled. Log trucks don't kill people. People running those log trucks kill people. You think we need log truck control? I think we need proper training on this technique. It can be done and done safely. Or, if your machine is too small for this technique that do not attempt it.

16. TimberJack

Probably aught to refer to an operators manual and get a manufactors take to settle this once and for all before it turns into log truck operator boom measuring competion.

KeefDecker and LiTreeService like this.
  17. dbl612

dbl612 Active Member

natural selection by culling the terminally stupid.

TimberJack, LiTreeService and ROYCE like this.