Upgrading

Chuck Diesel

I operate a 900A for a growing tree service outside of Detroit. We have outgrown crane and looking to upgrade our capacity and reach.
What your pros and cons on these T340XL, 38T127, 1800?

Tradesman

I operate a 900A for a growing tree service outside of Detroit. We have outgrown crane and looking to upgrade our capacity and reach.
What your pros and cons on these T340XL, 38T127, 1800?
The 340's are a good crane arguably much better than the other two if you where doing production work ie: structural steel or concrete work, but most of them only have 92 ft. of stick a few have I think 105 ft. So my guess is you'll be swinging jib most of the time, and I've been told there's not much in the way of luxury driving it down the road.

Fivepoints

I've used a terex 340 quite a bit doing tree work. It was the 92 ft version. Sometimes it's a bit short in our area. It belongs to our local crane rental company. We have never used the jib on it because they didn't have one with it. There have been times it would have been nice to have. You need to get a hold of the load chart for each crane you guys are considering and compare them. We bought an older grove 35 ton for our uses. The boom is 104' and the load chart is higher at a given distance vs the 40 ton terex 340. If you're going to be putting it in tight spots, look at the outrigger spread as well.

BruceWayne

The NTC55128 50 ton is awesome. 128 foot main boom. The thing is just a great machine. Still can fit in some tight spots.

CanaryBoss

I haven’t been everywhere, but I have NEVER seen a jib used in tree work. Seems like you couldn’t open it a lot of times in tight spots or get close enough on an LZ with overhead trees keeping you from booming straight up. I love the ntb 40, and where I’m from your not doing anything with less than 120’ of boom

BruceWayne

In 12 yrs in the industry I have only used a job 3 times. It's very tricky stuff and you just have to trust in your climber and operator working together on knowing your weights your picking. But I agree with CanaryBoss we dont always have the room to swing it. I would not buy a crane with the intent on using a jib on a regular basis for sure. I've also worked with a manitex 38 ton. They are really nice cranes also.