Unusually large elm in SE MICHIGAN.

baumeister

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have been caring for this tree now for several years and am now curious as to whether I am actually looking at it correctly. Sorry I couldn't get up for a closer look at leaves. I have identified it as an elm and excluded slippery and Chinese. It must be resistant or is simply so isolated from the Dutch elm disease. It has been dying back but very minor dead every couple years. I cleaned it 2 or 3 years ago and now it has additional deadwood. I am assuming simple old age and decay fungi doing their thing. But I have questions.

1. What species do you think?

2. What do you suspect reason for dieback?

3. Is there an American elm variety resistant to ded?

4. What recommendations would you have for care at this point.?

This is a "second opinion" and I have not included my diagnosis on purpose. If you want it I would be happy to share. Thanks. Oh that leads me to another question.
5. Anyone charge their clients when getting "second opinions" like this. :).

mrtree

1. What species do you think? Ulmus glabra

2. What do you suspect reason for dieback? Phloem Necrosis maybe

3. Is there an American elm variety resistant to ded? Not really

4. What recommendations would you have for care at this point.? Are leaf beetles and issue? What about soil issues? Always improve the health of the tree

This is a "second opinion" and I have not included my diagnosis on purpose. If you want it I would be happy to share. Thanks. Oh that leads me to another question.
5. Anyone charge their clients when getting "second opinions" like this. :). Never charge for opinions but always charge for consultation, including research.

JD3000

Looks pretty close to the house, does the tree pre-date construction? Any other construction or work done in root zone?

Looks like there maye have been some insect damage to foliage on the lower sprouts.

Hard to tell much else from the pics but I would investigate the root system and any potential soil issues as mrtree said.