Unconscious man in tree 35 feet from ground rescued by firefighters

Bucknut

What's up with these firefighters?

"They had to cut the cord, wrap it about him, and create a makeshift harness. Eventually the man, as he became more alert, was able to move down a ladder with much assistance."

What? They wrapped an extension cord around him to make a harness? Was there no rope in the area? And they used an aluminum ladder during an active lightning storm?

I'm glad it all worked out, but this story tells me that either the fire department is underequipped/undertrained, or they need to seriously consider asking for help when they need it.

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

What's up with these firefighters?

"They had to cut the cord, wrap it about him, and create a makeshift harness. Eventually the man, as he became more alert, was able to move down a ladder with much assistance."

What? They wrapped in extension cord around him to make a harness? Was there no rope in the area? And they used an aluminum ladder during an active lightning storm?

I'm glad it all worked out, but this story tells me that either the fire department is underequipped/undertrained, or they need to seriously consider asking for help when they need it.
"The crew called in the assistance of the specially trained Jackson Urban Search and Rescue team"

The extension cord harness is way beyond ridiculous.
Luckily for everyone, that story had a happy ending.

New2trees

Maybe the "rescue team" kept it plugged in thinking that way he would be grounded if struck by lightning.......Sorry lols

New2trees

Yeah sorry about that post, it was pretty thoughtless. The guys no doubt did what they could with what they had. To me the sad thing is that in a country with this much money they were sent out to do a dangerous job without proper equipment and/or training I should have worded the post that way instead of making fun of the shortcomings of those brave enough to do the job without proper equipment and/or training.
Apologies to anyone who may have been offended...particularly any firefighters or firefighters family members.

JD3000

Perhaps more folks trained in aerial tree rescue should volunteer (or get paid...) To teach local first responders? Not my area of practice but seems like a reasonable solution