Trying a new saddle before buying? [NE Ohio]

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by semifnordic, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Oh, meant to say that I am exactly your size and weight. I love my Yellow Jacket. It even comes with the little bag to carry it in.

- Stew

Tuebor likes this.
  2. Tuebor

Tuebor Well-Known Member

I second what both swingdude and Burrapeg say. Just go all the way with a TM (S. Light) and be done with it, or go basic with the NT Yellow Jacket. I have both and find them both really comfortable (5' 10"/165 lbs/30" waist). You can dress up the Yellow Jacket with a caritool or two, replace the delta link with a Petzl ring open, and add a swivel if you want; you just won't have a rope bridge. Too bad you missed the Thanksgiving sales.

3. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Tuebor, I was actually thinking of an adjustable rope bridge mod for my Yellow Jacket . What do you guys think of this?: Replace the delta link with a large smooth stainless marine shackle. Go with the new rope from left lanyard D through the shackle, up and through the lower loop on my nano swivel on the Bone, back down and through the shackle the other direction towards the right and at the right hand lanyard D it goes through a hitch with tending pulley or a garb of some kind. And a stopper knot on end of this bridge rope of course. Does this sound workable? Not an ideal layout but the length at least would be adjustable. The main reason I considered something like this is I use a chest roller to stay upright when ascending and need the Bone above this, but it is nice to get back off the roller and the Bone back down low once I have ascended and want to move around or limb walk, etc. Haven't tried it yet but hope to this weekend. Suggestions welcome!

- Stew

- Ste

4. Tuebor

Tuebor Well-Known Member

Hmm, I know some guys have replaced the delta links with shackles (and this a source someone recommended), but I honestly don't know how well the adjustable rope bridge idea would work, especially with the soft D rings. Give it a try and let us know.

For my first harness, I went middle of the road and bought a Weaver Cougar and hated it. It seemed heavy, stiff, and bulky. I started looking at New Tribe rec harnesses, but I wanted something with a rope bridge. Then I found TreeStuff was selling the original version of the Aero Hunter, which was basically one of their rec harnesses with the rigging plates and rope bridge of the Onxy, but with soft D rings. I thought it would be a good combination of lightness and versatility, and it took me pretty far, but I found it to be fairly uncomfortable to hang in. Then I got the Yellow Jacket, which was significantly more comfortable, and shortly thereafter, I found a good deal on the TreeMotion and never looked back.

5. treebilly

treebilly Well-Known Member

I did not get done in time Friday to make it over there. Sorry. I'll try again this Friday.