1. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

Turns out I did not have the tools to drill precisely on center either. I could really feel the eccentricity on decent on single sheave I made so I had a friend who is a machinist make a flat faced sheave bushing. Now I have finally had a chance to alternate between the bearings and the single sheave on several climbs and will agree that the single sheave is better at reducing rope shift. Now I am curious why @SoftBankHawks has switch to using Petzl Vector from Sirius 500. It appears that Vector can not be spliced by hand. A disadvantage. What advantages does Vector offer?

2. SoftBankHawks

SoftBankHawks Well-Known Member

I'm a rope nerd, just gotta try em all! Sirius is still my main TRT rope.

TimBr likes this.
  3. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

I see that our YouTube buddy daigentanoen has switched to using Robline Admiral 7000 for his TRT. What do others think of using a rope with a Dyneema core for climbing? Certainly a much higher MBS than the poly/poly double braid.

4. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Energy absorption within a climb line is crucial. I so often hear climbers wanting static static static. We need energy absorption.

That can be accomplished in a few ways, and being critical of the multiscender at play is where to start. If I'm on a hitch based system, I want some elongation in the line itself. If I'm on a mechanical, I want to know what force it takes to make it slip, and get energy absorption there.

Being that most mechanicals do slip at relatively low loads compared to hitches, it perhaps leaves room for a more static line to be at play. I'd say this with consideration of what the line was designed to do, and whether the use is appropriate. The manufacturer is the best resource to contact with questions like that.

I am a rare bird in that I don't mind some elongation in my rope. I just don't experience an issue once I'm up and working, and managing a neglegable amount of stretch before ascent just doesn't matter. I also don't like rope with memory, as a nice hand is best.

All just my opinion.;)

papadirk, SomethingWitty and TimBr like this.
  5. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

I agree, Eric. I have mentioned to climbers that the bounce they are feeling on ascent is greatly influenced by their climbing style, the application and timing of force. Almost without exception, the response is defensive or denial. Whatever.

The fact is though, if you have lots of bounce on one rope and not on another and the only thing changed was the rope, the energy that created bounce is still there. If you're not feeling it, where did it go? Just as dynamic rope can dissipate energy transfer, a more static rope can magnify it. When energy transfer is sharp and abrupt, things tend to break.

TimBr, Tom Dunlap, oceans and 3 others like this.
  6. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Your second paragraph showing the wisdom of a seasoned professional. Thanks, David.

7. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

Thanks Eric & David. Your opinions are just what I wanted. I appreciate all the information and experience you bring to Treebuzz.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  8. SoftBankHawks

UK/Euro regs demand nylon and polyester...boing boing. It has created quite a fuss among Stationary climbers since Cougar Blue became bonafide...boing boing !
    I rigged up some Globe 5000 for my TRT system, apart from having to use knots and it having a little more of a stiff hand, I saw no difference in stretch to the Sirius 500. I was more curious to see how the tighter cover braid performed over the Sirius.
    More and more I want to test before I go fully into a new system, it makes logical sense to do so. That chap in Japan experiments beyond belief but his output is chaotic, I have no idea what his motivation is to combine every existing climbing tool into a single system !? I just don't get it . Nearly everything will work a little bit though this has no inherent worth. There has been a spate of climbers using the ART Positioner as a main belay point (did the idea come from him?), we had to put a notice on the ODSK homepage that this is not a safe or constructive way to think about system design. Again, I don't understand the motivation to do these things, or at least to put it around and let genuine curiosity be misinterpreted as something else. Matisse said "Students, cut out your tongues." A little harsh perhaps but of course only a metaphor.

oceans likes this.
  9. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

My interest in the different line options is to see if there is an 8mm line with a high enough rating that single leg might meet or at least come closer to ANSI requirement. Whether or not it is static or dynamic (boing, boing) is not my objective. I thought I had found this in the Marlow Doublebraid. According to their spec sheet it has a MBL of 5203. I sent a section to TS and was surprising when a straight unspliced piece of Marlow Doublebraid broke at 4056 lbs. This turns out to be a common number for many 8mm robes. Both the Global 5000 and the Sirius 500 are listed at 4047 which is odd since Global has a dyneema core. Petzel Vector also listed at 4047. The Admiral 7000 is way up there at 8767.
    I have found that Sterling has two offerings not from the sailing world but are in the climbing realm; Oplux & Canyonlux. These both come in at a MBL of 5440. Not sure how spliceable these may be but they seem like they may be worth further investigation. Anyone had any experience with these?

Attached Files:

10. SoftBankHawks

Good on ya, Papadirk, it takes some interesting head scratching to rig TRT right. Does ANSI require each piece of the configuration to exceed a said amount? And is there further regulation of configurations? For my mind configurations are where the crux of the matter lays. When you get a chance I'd like to see some photos of your set up's.

TimBr likes this.
  11. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

Yes configuration is the crux of the matter and I see TRT providing many options. It is hard for me to determine what ANSI requirements apply as I have been unable to find them online. It appear that they are only available if purchased.

TimBr likes this.
  12. LandonPainter

LandonPainter Active Member

I have been climbing with TRT since meeting Paul and Eric in November, and I have to say, I'm sold! It runs smoother than my other SRT setups and there are a bunch of anchoring configurations. Being on a continuous loop is genius. You can really customize for each tree. Thank you gentleman for the knowledge. I think this will be the future of tree climbing. I hope to climb together again soon!

TimBr, papadirk and SoftBankHawks like this.
  13. SoftBankHawks

That is incredible to hear, Landon.

TimBr and LandonPainter like this.
  14. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

Landon, glad to see this thread get a bump. what are you using for rope?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TimBr likes this.
  15. LandonPainter

LandonPainter Active Member

Sirius 500 I believe. Paul could better answer that, he spliced up the lines I'm using. I wish I had another set of 200' lines for tall west coast conifers. I guess another trip to Japan is in order. Cheers!

TimBr likes this.
  16. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

17. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Could someone embed a couple of TRT example videos? After reading all of this thread I think I understand the concept but can only find 4 Jonny Pro videos, I can see the dual line he swings on but not much of the setup. Any other examples people are trying would also help me get my head around the whole TRT idea.

Is the differentiator from DdRT just that a climber is hanging from both dual lines, or does it include the idea of multiple connections to the tree in a continuous loop, with a kind of floating hang point between them? Help me out here o_O

18. papadirk

papadirk Active Member

Here are a couple of early videos from @SoftBankHawks .

Sorry I don't have more. TRT is different from DdRT because the climber is using two small diameter ropes acting as one SRT line in a single device, usually a modified RR but with the advantage of being able to separate the two lines at your anchor point. As @LandonPainter put it "there are a bunch of anchoring configurations. Being on a continuous loop is genius." Very much a work in progress for myself. Hope this helps.

FreeFallin, TimBr and SomethingWitty like this.
  19. SoftBankHawks

20. SoftBankHawks

It is a curiously expansive platform for technique. I'm actually bang into ART's new tools so have been on DdRT for a few months ( another curious thing after so many years with stationary systems). But before the TRT workshop last November I started playing with hanging tools via prussik loop around the two TRT legs (above me) and walking them down to me when needed. I'm talking about chainsaws (with scabbard!), traverse kits, anything heavy that can be kept at a distance until needed.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    oceans, moss, FreeFallin and 2 others like this.