1. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

I was watching old Johnny Pro videos today. I find them inspiring; dude has some serious passion for getting high.
    Does anyone play with his TRT system?
    I checked out this 9mm cord and it feels amazing doubled in my runner http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=480
    It is more responsive and tended easier(on the ground) than my tachyon.
    The abs is only 4300, which would make me guess that the mbs is under 4k. I still am seriously considering getting 200ft for climbing. I am probably only going to run it isolated and doubled for that nifty ascent with two foot ascenders. Any opinions or suggestions?

2. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

I use 8mm Petzl Vector, which is actually made by Samson. Vector is smooth as glass and resists flattening and work hardening. Quite static as well. Best to go with two colors for easy identification of the retrieval side.

I also built a flat pulley by TIG welding aluminum filler into the groove of a factory one and then filing it down smooth and round. The factory sheave is great for one rope, but with two narrow lines, the profile makes each line twist in opposite directions below the pulley while descending. When those twist happen on a long descent, the lines can get rather tangled and it's quite annoying. The flat pulley solves this.

Slack tending takes care, because if the rope twists above the Bird while going up, the glassy smooth tending of the Runner disappears and it can jam right up. Again, two colors help in the rope management department here. Being able to spot a twist is key.

Retrieving the rope connection through natural redirects has limits. Wide open, large diameter branch unions are not much problem, but tighter, smaller diameter branches cause things to jam up.

In all, the freedom of advancement is great, and ascending with two foot ascenders is sweet. Also, foot locking with such light rope is nice, especially up high with lots of tail below.

TimBr and macswan like this.
  3. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

That sounds tempting

oceans likes this.
  4. Levi.CO

Levi.CO Well-Known Member

Anyone tried trt with a bone?

wyatt spruck and SomethingWitty like this.
  5. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

I would say it's possible in the Bone...maybe with an old "page 1" Bone with the flat profile spine. It's worth a shot, for sure.

I think the ultimate Multiscender would have 3 friction points, all being independently adjustable on the fly. It might make all these techniques possible with one device.

6. D x D

D x D Active Member

I saw the original video and thought it clever but novel, and wondered about the usefulness of it. What are folks finding and what does it improve on or the advantages over DSRT positioning? They seem very similar in many ways (except the obvious of only needing one device for TRT).

Yet two devices aren't necessarily bad as I can abandon one system as needed. I am not sure you can so easily abandon "half" of the TRT system. ?

wyatt spruck likes this.
  7. SomethingWitty

I feel about the same. It is more clever and interesting than useful. Having to take your weight off of the line to move the TIP is a rather serious drawback.
    My primary interest is in a single rope doubled through the RR.
    A double hand ascender can be used to imitate the marbar with two foot ascenders.

@oceans
    Thank you for the ideas. I'll check out that line as well try to avoid the temptation to ruin my pulley (I am a wood worker, metal is fairly new to me.)

8. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Check out the line for sure, but you will see how the stock pulley gets things twisted. A wooden pulley might work, at least until you develop your welding skills. ;)

@SoftBankHawks has a bunch of experience on this system, and one of the most elegant anchoring techniques you can imagine. He can basically rule the world from a remote location. If love for him to chime in on this. He's developed it quite well, for sure.

Pfanner man and TimBr like this.
  9. SomethingWitty

... Is it ridiculous that a wooden tender pulley hadn't occurred to me?

wyatt spruck likes this.
  10. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

11. SoftBankHawks

SoftBankHawks Well-Known Member

It has little to nothing to do with DSRT.. actually, no, it has nothing to do with DSRT.
    If your prerogative is to blast up a rope than stick with single SRT. If you are reaping the amazing benefits of DSRT you will have to take some time out to build the second system and find a way to incorporate it fluidly, into TRT. TRT means much to me, so much so that I decided to quit single SRT, you know, see where it takes me. TRT contains all of the fundaments, moving and rigging, of DdRT and SRT. It's kinda hard to explain through a computer. My desire has always been to work on systems that give me the closest and most fluid connection to the tree, my life work is to understand them a little, one organism to another!
    TRT unquestionably gives me the most arboreal freedom of any system I have tried.

12. SoftBankHawks

Eric, please make me one of your pulleys, it looks a c e !!

oceans and TimBr like this.
  13. SoftBankHawks

You can abandon half if one rope is suitably strong and you have 2 belays. 2 belays and thicker/stronger rope means more friction, more friction means sludgy movement. TRT with 8mm rope through one belay device is beautiful and you are right that you are unable to separate the lines.

TimBr likes this.
  14. SoftBankHawks

Configuration is key to reaping every ounce of strength within the system. Come over to Japan, we can talk some about it !

oceans, TimBr and SomethingWitty like this.
  15. SomethingWitty

If I ever manage to work my way over there, I will definitely look you up.

SoftBankHawks likes this.
  16. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@oceans said: " Slack tending takes care, because if the rope twists above the Bird while going up, the glassy smooth tending of the Runner disappears and it can jam right up. Again, two colors help in the rope management department here. Being able to spot a twist is key."

So when this happens, do you just have to stop in your tracks for a minute and work the twist out of the rope by sending it down through the Rope Runner and out of the bottom?

With your new flat pulley, does this cease to happen at all, or do you still find yourself getting twists on the way up?

I realize that maybe the flat pulley was only intended to help prevent the twisting of the ropes on the way down, but I thought maybe it could have some effect on the way up, too.

Beautiful work on that pulley, by the way; it just looks gorgeous.

I know the market for this product might be tiny, but this seems to me to be the invention of another great product by another one of the great minds present on the TreeBuzz forum.

$100 for a custom pulley that fixes such a vexing problem would seem reasonable to me, considering the amount of labor that seems to be required to produce them.

More than you probably care to get involved with, though. I don't know if Rock Exotica has any interest in producing items that might not sell in large volume or not. I thought I saw something written on their website that said they want people to bring their ideas to them, so maybe they'd at least give you a listen. Just a thought.

Tim

oceans and SomethingWitty like this.
  17. moss

moss Well-Known Member

I wonder what the chances are of finding some aluminum round stock same diameter, if so may be easier (if you don't have a TIG welder) to cut a slice to the width spec and drill out the center for the sheave or bushing.

That is an insane bit of welding and finishing work by Oceans!
    -AJ

oceans, TimBr and SomethingWitty like this.
  18. moss

moss Well-Known Member

Yep, some nice hardwood/heartwood should do it well, Lignum vitae, honey locust, etc.

oceans and SomethingWitty like this.
  19. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

i have found that with two runners (or devices) and the setup of TRT, it allows you to control your position much easier than with two ropes going through one device where you pretty much have to unweight yourself to move it. You can move yourself anywhere you want while suspended in air with the two runners and the TRT setup. I have found it to be quite awesome. the two ropes through the one device seems to more limited in motion and access.

20. SomethingWitty

And all I need to experiment with this is another runner.:coffe:

TimBr, NE Tree and treebing like this.